Socialization issue?

MSU Aggie

Socialization issue?

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 pm

My 7 month old GSP has been very skidish around new people lately. She has been well socialized, take her to office and obedience classes this winter. Now we are getting in to club trading sessions. She will hide behind me when she is approached and it takes some coaxing to get her to socialize now. She will play with other dogs and kids, just not adults. Any thoughts, part of second fear stage?

Luminary Setters

Socialization issue?

Post by Luminary Setters » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:39 pm

There is a second fear stage that dogs go through. Typically it was thought to be about a two week window somewhere between eight and ten months. Some current research is now claiming 6-14 months. My experience has shown it to be barely perceptible in most dogs, but occasionally I see one where it is very pronounced.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Socialization issue?

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:39 pm

Could be bad news, but hopefully she turns it around. I 've found that dogs can change a lot in personality between 7 months and 2 years -- not always for the better.

Ignore her when she is nervous. Don't pat her; don't say "It's okay.....". Just ignore the behaviour.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:13 pm

Honestly even if she doesn't like social situations she will be the best dog I've had. Once she's in the field nothing phases her, she knows her job and does it. But I will stop the babying, hopefully she comes out of it. Should I keep putting her in social situations?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:24 pm

Absolutely.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:11 pm

That was the plan just need reassuring it was right thing.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:59 pm

How is your dog meeting new folks at home.

At home mine is maybe too friendly and excited though he does settle down

Out and about he is fairly off stand-ish, it takes a special regular at the off leash for him to go in for a greeting.

Oddly folks at training days do get more attention but they are people who hang out where the birds are so they get a positive association.

Always a good sign if they ignore everyone if there are birds around

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:39 pm

Generally she is in her kennel to start, then once the food is put away her and my older lab get to come out. No one has handled e her without permission, and no situations that I can think of to cause this.

Vman

Post by Vman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:59 am

Agree with Sharon, but one thing you may want to try also is doggy daycare or boarding the dog. The dog will learn to play with others and be handled by other adults other than you. Have seen several Shorthairs like yours and daycare and boarding helped alot. As you mentioned, nobody but you has handled the dog. That is not a good thing.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:22 am

Vman wrote:Agree with Sharon, but one thing you may want to try also is doggy daycare or boarding the dog. The dog will learn to play with others and be handled by other adults other than you. Have seen several Shorthairs like yours and daycare and boarding helped alot. As you mentioned, nobody but you has handled the dog. That is not a good thing.
That is a really good idea. I have been trying to figure a way to socialize my pup to more dogs. She is very timid around dogs she dont know. I am gonna look into that.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:03 am

I was wondering how she would handle boarding? They are scheduled for next weekend and it is her first time. Sounds like this will be a good thing for her.

buff

Post by buff » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:36 am

Stake her out on a chain or cable with food, water, and shelter.. She will change for the better.. I have done this and it works.

trips2win

Socialization issue?

Post by trips2win » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:21 pm

My male gsp has some fear issues. It developed into a couple bites. When a dog is scared and cornered it will usually bite. You should seek a good obedience trainer to get your dog used to you being the alpha. This helps with a dogs confidence knowing that someone else is in charge. Then practice your training in more public areas gradually.

Eventually i was able to put my gsp in a sit near the entrance of a grocery store and walk away. Of course i asked people not to interact with him. He is now confident knowing I am in charge. He will always have fear issues but he now can tolerate them due to my demand for focus and obedience. I have to always remain vigilant. It is a ton of work. Always practicing. Good luck.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:29 pm

MSU Aggie wrote:My 7 month old GSP has been very skidish around new people lately. She has been well socialized, take her to office and obedience classes this winter. Now we are getting in to club trading sessions. She will hide behind me when she is approached and it takes some coaxing to get her to socialize now. She will play with other dogs and kids, just not adults. Any thoughts, part of second fear stage?
I am not sure I really see a problem here. As Sharon said, don't baby her, which could make it worse and actually lead to problems. But right now, if she were my dog, I would probably not give it a second thought unless there is more to it than what I am reading and understanding here. Besides being a little shy around adult strangers could be a good thing. But I am betting she will grow out of it with plenty of exposure. Now if she is or gets aggressive, that is a whole nother story. Other than that, don't worry about it. JMO

Charlie

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:18 am

I am with Charlie, what is the problem? I have dogs that have never been touched by anyone other than by my wife and me. I will never know if they would be skidish or not. It does not matter to me. Someone please tell me why they think it important.

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:44 pm

getzapped wrote:
Vman wrote:Agree with Sharon, but one thing you may want to try also is doggy daycare or boarding the dog. The dog will learn to play with others and be handled by other adults other than you. Have seen several Shorthairs like yours and daycare and boarding helped alot. As you mentioned, nobody but you has handled the dog. That is not a good thing.
That is a really good idea. I have been trying to figure a way to socialize my pup to more dogs. She is very timid around dogs she dont know. I am gonna look into that.
if you can find the right place I highly recommend it.
despite all the time and training we put into our animals,sometimes dogs just need to learn to be dogs with other dogs
for good or bad many behaviors are highly influenced by the owners presence.

I started dropping my pup off 4-5 times a month at a daycare just like we go hiking ,bird training etc..
all the dogs are prescreened for behavior as much as dogs can be .that was important because I live in a urban area and rescue pit bulls are all over.
the results have been nothing but positive

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:31 pm

Thanks for all the input. We were out at a training day and she grew braver through out the day. Had a couple buddies just walk her around on leash after we finished bird work. Would leave skidish and come back 5 min later like they were buddies.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Neil wrote:I am with Charlie, what is the problem? I have dogs that have never been touched by anyone other than by my wife and me. I will never know if they would be skidish or not. It does not matter to me. Someone please tell me why they think it important.
????

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:13 pm

I guess I'll stick my neck out. :)

For me I need a dog that I can take to the pet store, the vet ,the dog park , have company stay over , stake out at the trial and not have to worry about kids coming up to say hello etc.. etc.. I need a dog I can trust around people. If it is hiding behind me at 7 months I would be concerned.

IN the early 1990s I had a GSP that became a fear biter at age 2. Even muzzled the vet couldn't get near her, and I put her down.

Along with 2 great setters , now have my 4 th Jack Russell . Well socialized , but changed at about age 1. Became over protective ?? and will lash out at strangers . Not bite but scare them to death. I have to muzzle him during certain situations.

A sociable dog is important to me.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:03 am

Sharon wrote:I guess I'll stick my neck out. :)

For me I need a dog that I can take to the pet store, the vet ,the dog park , have company stay over , stake out at the trial and not have to worry about kids coming up to say hello etc.. etc.. I need a dog I can trust around people. If it is hiding behind me at 7 months I would be concerned.

IN the early 1990s I had a GSP that became a fear biter at age 2. Even muzzled the vet couldn't get near her, and I put her down.

Along with 2 great setters , now have my 4 th Jack Russell . Well socialized , but changed at about age 1. Became over protective ?? and will lash out at strangers . Not bite but scare them to death. I have to muzzle him during certain situations.

A sociable dog is important to me.
Thank you, I won't abide an aggressive, biting dog.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:57 pm

But he's so cute.... just kidding you. His days may not be long.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:20 pm

nothing helps a bird dog better than birds. I would invite some people out and put my dog on bird after bird in the field he should not pay to much mind to the people. I hope im given good advise I haven't had this happen to me. good luck