Haircut

Pheasanttracker

Haircut

Post by Pheasanttracker » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:16 am

Wondering if any of you shorten your dogs coats for the summer. My Pudelpointers loves the water but when the weather warms up she wants to just relax in a water tub or pond when not doing some activity. Wondering if trimming her coat would make her more comfortable

mnaj_springer

Re: Haircut

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:08 pm

I do with my spaniel. She has a black coat too so she tends to get hot.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Pheasanttracker wrote:Wondering if any of you shorten your dogs coats for the summer. My Pudelpointers loves the water but when the weather warms up she wants to just relax in a water tub or pond when not doing some activity. Wondering if trimming her coat would make her more comfortable
More comfortable?...yes, it can.
So, yes, trim I do.
Just depends upon need...hair varies, even on setters.

marsh

Post by marsh » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:35 pm

I thought I remember someone telling me that if you cut a PP's hair it will grow in softer. Not sure how true that is-but might want to check into it.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:27 pm

planning on getting my Britt's coat trimmed this week. Starting to warm up (finally) and she's wearing a heavy fur coat!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:08 pm

I only trim feathers when they get long - year round. Shaving defeats the purpose of a dog's coat which keeps them warm in winter and cool in summer. It is not the same as human hair.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:53 am

Noh, my dogs have very short hair :) maybe that why they call them shorthairs? We had springers as kids and we trimed them down using a shaver for animals.

Pheasanttracker

Haircut

Post by Pheasanttracker » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks for the input. I am hesitant to trim but I took her for a 3 mile run yesterday and she could not wait to jump in the lake on the return. Must have stayed in the 30 minutes swimming around with some geese. I think I will see how she does with a trim but will first check to see if it will make her coat overly soft when it grows in for the fall.

Thanks

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:09 am

Pheasanttracker wrote:Thanks for the input. I am hesitant to trim but I took her for a 3 mile run yesterday and she could not wait to jump in the lake on the return. Must have stayed in the 30 minutes swimming around with some geese. I think I will see how she does with a trim but will first check to see if it will make her coat overly soft when it grows in for the fall.

Thanks
The trimmed coat will appear softer since you have cut off all of the longer and courser guard hair. The hair does not get softer. This is why the proper care is to strip it and not cut it. So you can repair the damage if you start stripping it again. But as long as you continue to trim it it will appear soft and fuzzy.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:32 pm

I trim feathers /tail feathers etc short in the Spring. Setters live in the house so have to be bathed outside after every run. Trimming makes life easier.

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:59 pm

I put the clippers to my GWP's every summer.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:49 pm

It is astonishing that with all the good and easily acquired information on this topic that people still clip guard coated and wire haired dogs in the summer.

http://www.aspca.org/blog/heat-wave-sho ... e-your-pet

Just get a rubber curry comb and gently get the molting undercoat off, leave the rest. PLEASE!!!!

1gundog

Haircut

Post by 1gundog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:04 am

^^what he said,