what breed has the best network in your opinion?

luvthemud

what breed has the best network in your opinion?

Post by luvthemud » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Just sort of curious....I am always seeing different events being posted and seeing links to breeder organizations, testing sessions, and whatnot.

Without starting a back and forth....if a person were to want to buy a dog based solely on the amount of quality resources available for that specific breed, which one would it be? What breed really has a strong "network"?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: what breed has the best network in your opinion?

Post by Neil » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:55 pm

Sorry I do not understand the question, nor the prohibition on back and forth. Whatever your asking it seem multiple opinions would be beneficial.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:59 pm

Neil wrote:Sorry I do not understand the question, nor the prohibition on back and forth. Whatever your asking it seem multiple opinions would be beneficial.
Just don't want it to turn into an outright breed vs breed argument. Multiple opinions are great, but not what some threads turn into from what I have seen.

Simply wondering what people's thoughts are as to what breed has the best network. Network meaning lots of things, but mostly, if someone needed resources for things like breed standard, training, trials, etc.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:26 pm

GSP hands down. No other breed has had more success in more venues. Whether it be show, agility, hunt test, AKC Field Trials, American field Field Trials, NSTRA, UGA, Dock diving, NAvHDA, or the German Testing system.

However I wouldnt pick a breed based on this I would look for one that suits my liking. If I enjoy testing and the show ring I would probably look at a bench bred setter. If I wanted a dog to compete in a trial with I would loom at a Pointer, a Setter (AF or Cover Dog bred depending on trials), and a GSP. If your a hunter who wants to test I would probably look at a GSP, GWP or a PudelPointer, maybe even a vizsla.

Myself I live and hunt the prairies and got into trialing. I bought a GSP. My next dog will be a Pointer or Setter to play the AFTCA/AF trial game.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:51 pm

RyanDoolittle wrote:GSP hands down.
That is the way it appears if one browses this site, however that could simply be because GSP owners spend more time on forums lol! That is why I asked. I imagine that labs have quite the network as well?

RyanDoolittle wrote:However I wouldnt pick a breed based on this I would look for one that suits my liking.
And neither would I, however in other realms, this type of thing can be the deciding factor to choose one over another.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:28 pm

There is not a nickels worth of difference in the common or popular breeds. I have to say that network is not the right term since I know of no network in the dog world. However, the more popular a breed is it stands to reason there are more people involved with that breed and that might mean it is easier to find help. However, in reality, within the performance area of dog games most every one I know would not base their assistance on what breed you have. If you are playing their game most everyone would help in any way they can.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:37 pm

ezzy333 wrote:There is not a nickels worth of difference in the common or popular breeds. I have to say that network is not the right term since I know of no network in the dog world. However, the more popular a breed is it stands to reason there are more people involved with that breed and that might mean it is easier to find help. However, in reality, within the performance area of dog games most every one I know would not base their assistance on what breed you have. If you are playing their game most everyone would help in any way they can.

Well I wouldn't know what other term besides "network" would describe the group of breeders and trainers responsible for the advancement of a breed......

Community might be applicable I suppose.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:43 am

I think retrievers have a huge network. There are retriever clubs everywhere. If i was picking a dog on that I would go with a lab.

donne

Post by donne » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:32 am

I'd have to say there are a lot more Coon and Beagle clubs around then bird dog clubs. :lol:

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:59 am

Labs by far followed by GSP's and Britts. It really depends on the area and local clubs though.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:46 am

Network- a noun meaning a connection. Lots of clubs that promote a certain breed, lots of trainers that are seldom breed restricted, lots of trials that have some restricted and some not, and lots of shows that are seldom breed restricted. And as far as I know most are not networking but will work with anyone and their dog.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:06 am

luvthemud wrote:
And neither would I, however in other realms, this type of thing can be the deciding factor to choose one over another.
What realms would that be?

I think you are looking for a support structure, and has been explained, it depends more on the application and activity than breed. I have campaigned Brittanys against pointers/setters, goldens with Labs, and Boykins with springers with success and acceptance, often the only one with my breed.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:47 am

Neil wrote:
luvthemud wrote:
What realms would that be?

I think you are looking for a support structure, and has been explained, it depends more on the application and activity than breed. I have campaigned Brittanys against pointers/setters, goldens with Labs, and Boykins with springers with success and acceptance, often the only one with my breed.
Powersports come to mind off the top of my head. Lots of people choose ATVs based on the network/support structure/community surrounding a particular brand or unit.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:52 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Labs by far followed by GSP's and Britts. It really depends on the area and local clubs though.
Sort of what I concluded after browsing the events forum and google. Wasn't sure about labs, but figured since they are so popular that they must have a pretty good setup.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:14 am

I also might add that the pointing breeds have multiple venues, like NAVHDA, GSPCA, etc. Something for every one. What will you be doing with the dog? Competition? Pure hunting? Lap dog watching TV with you? This may get you on the right track.

A network is a group of like minded folk sharing ideas, and experiences. I grok that completely.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:15 am

luvthemud wrote:
Powersports come to mind off the top of my head. Lots of people choose ATVs based on the network/support structure/community surrounding a particular brand or unit.

Dogs and ATVs..interesting comparison re purchasing decisions.
I can't quite see looking into an ATV's eyes.

Just me but I would avoid any "network"...often, far too full of people.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:15 am

markj wrote:I also might add that the pointing breeds have multiple venues, like NAVHDA, GSPCA, etc. Something for every one. What will you be doing with the dog? Competition? Pure hunting? Lap dog watching TV with you? This may get you on the right track.

A network is a group of like minded folk sharing ideas, and experiences. I grok that completely.
I am not considering a dog. I simply asked because it seems like the same breeds mentioned over and over in the events section. Was curious I this was indicative of simply popularity, or if these breeds representatives simply got it going on.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:18 am

Mountaineer wrote:
luvthemud wrote:

There are people who purchase things of all types based on all types of reasons.

Your last statement is sort of the flip side of the coin. Bigger isn't always better, and I see many owners of lesser common breeds actually consider the tighter/smaller community a positive.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 am

If your question has not been answered, then I still don't understand it.

I have bought 8 or 9 atv's and did not consider a community. I did make sure service and warranty work was available, neither applicable to dogs.

If you are not interesting in assistance in getting a dog, I can't help you.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:05 pm

Neil wrote:If your question has not been answered, then I still don't understand it.

I have bought 8 or 9 atv's and did not consider a community. I did make sure service and warranty work was available, neither applicable to dogs.

You are correct. Your postings are of no help. Others seem to understand quite perfectly, and have given their opinions and answered the question. Thank you.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:20 pm

luvthemud wrote:There are people who purchase things of all types based on all types of reasons.
Yes....but, I have yet to equate a dog with a thing.
luvthemud wrote:Your last statement is sort of the flip side of the coin. Bigger isn't always better, and I see many owners of lesser common breeds actually consider the tighter/smaller community a positive.
The Old Hemlock Family, perhaps.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:52 pm

luvthemud wrote:
Neil wrote:If your question has not been answered, then I still don't understand it.

You are correct. Your postings are of no help. Others seem to understand quite perfectly, and have given their opinions and answered the question. Thank you.
Well you certainly communicated your opinion of me clearly.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:11 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
luvthemud wrote:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/looking-dog ... ans-329896

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:46 pm

So that's what you mean by which dogs have the best network - like, you know, CBS with the big eye logo coming up on screen?

I'm with Neil - don't quite fathom where you're coming from. If you're alluding to which have the best breed clubs, there are plenty to choose from: Goldens, Brittanies, Chesapeakes, Labs, Flatcoat retrievers - not necessarily in that order.

If you're meaning which dogs give the best emotional bang for the buck while looking you in eye (i.e., "networking"), that would be down to personal choice and oxytocin levels. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/1 ... eyes/?_r=0

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:45 pm

luvthemud wrote: What breed really has a strong "network"?
This one .

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:52 pm

If you are talking about pointing dogs, I would attend a NSTRA trial. These trials have dogs of every breed represented. NSTRA is a walking trial with scoring on the dog for pointing, field coverage, obedience and retrieve. I use it for off season recreation. Our club is very family orientated. You will find trainers running various breeds as well as owner handlers. There are 3 trials scheduled in Wisconsin , this and next month. You are always welcome to come out, watch and ask questions. Go to NSTRA.com . look up Wisconsin or Michigan region and search upcoming trials.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:46 pm

crackerd wrote: So that's what you mean by which dogs have the best network - like, you know, CBS with the big eye logo coming up on screen?

MG
now you guys are getting it! Spent the weekend running coaxial and installing the dish on the dog house. Trying to decide between netflix or hulu at the moment...... :wink:

x Bred Pointer

Post by x Bred Pointer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:29 am

If you consider American Field a "network" it would be a pretty big one. Magazine printed once a week with trial reports and advertisements for every AF trial in the country.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:43 am

x Bred Pointer wrote:If you consider American Field a "network" it would be a pretty big one. Magazine printed once a week with trial reports and advertisements for every AF trial in the country.
Internationally. They print what happens up here in Canada as well.

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:48 pm

luvthemud wrote:Just sort of curious....I am always seeing different events being posted and seeing links to breeder organizations, testing sessions, and whatnot. Without starting a back and forth....if a person were to want to buy a dog based solely on the amount of quality resources available for that specific breed, which one would it be? What breed really has a strong "network"?
This is an excellent question actually. And the answer, in my view, is: 'it depends on where you live'. All breeds, even the most popular and widespread, tend to be found in 'clusters' of populations in various areas. For example, GSPs are very popular throughout the world and there are a ton of them around..but they are not evenly spread out. If you plotted them all on a map you would see clusters of excellent breeders and dogs, trainers, handlers, clubs etc. in some areas of the country (or state) while in other areas you'd have nothing going on for that breed.

Of course, with the Internet, distance does not mean the same thing as it used to, so one can get solid support from others in the same breed even if there isn't another dog of the breed within 500 miles. Case in point, my Longhaired Weimaraners from Germany. There are maybe two or three others in the entire county (i live in Canada). But with the Internet, I can have excellent support and networking abilities with a strong and dynamic club and awesome breeders in Germany. Still, it's not the same thing as having a solid group of like-minded folks close by to lend a hand when you need it and to enjoy training, testing and hunting dogs with.

So, you may want to reframe your question by asking "What breed really has a strong "network that is close enough to me and accessible enough to make a big difference?

In my area, the answer would be Labs. They are, by far, the most popular gundog breed around here (pointing dogs of any breed are hardly even on the radar). Labs have a good club, there are good breeders breeding good dogs for hunting and there is a strong, active training, trialling and hunting scene for them. So its a no-brainer. If network and support are the most important factors, the Lab beats all others, hands down in my area.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:08 pm

chiendog wrote:
luvthemud wrote:Just sort of curious....I am always seeing different events being posted and seeing links to breeder organizations, testing sessions, and whatnot. Without starting a back and forth....if a person were to want to buy a dog based solely on the amount of quality resources available for that specific breed, which one would it be? What breed really has a strong "network"?
This is an excellent question actually. And the answer, in my view, is: 'it depends on where you live'. All breeds, even the most popular and widespread, tend to be found in 'clusters' of populations in various areas. For example, GSPs are very popular throughout the world and there are a ton of them around..but they are not evenly spread out. If you plotted them all on a map you would see clusters of excellent breeders and dogs, trainers, handlers, clubs etc. in some areas of the country (or state) while in other areas you'd have nothing going on for that breed.

Of course, with the Internet, distance does not mean the same thing as it used to, so one can get solid support from others in the same breed even if there isn't another dog of the breed within 500 miles. Case in point, my Longhaired Weimaraners from Germany. There are maybe two or three others in the entire county (i live in Canada). But with the Internet, I can have excellent support and networking abilities with a strong and dynamic club and awesome breeders in Germany. Still, it's not the same thing as having a solid group of like-minded folks close by to lend a hand when you need it and to enjoy training, testing and hunting dogs with.

So, you may want to reframe your question by asking "What breed really has a strong "network that is close enough to me and accessible enough to make a big difference?

In my area, the answer would be Labs. They are, by far, the most popular gundog breed around here (pointing dogs of any breed are hardly even on the radar). Labs have a good club, there are good breeders breeding good dogs for hunting and there is a strong, active training, trialling and hunting scene for them. So its a no-brainer. If network and support are the most important factors, the Lab beats all others, hands down in my area.
Thank you. Answered my question perfectly. I suspected that labs did have a strong network, but my area is essentially "backyard breeder" types, so I don't get to see it.

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:59 pm

You are welcome! If your area is sort of 'between clusters' with no dynamic group of breeders in one particular breed, then look for breeds that have a strong national or even international support system and network. If you are looking for a pointing breed, and if you are a 'club' kind of guy, then look at the Drahthaar (GWP). That breed has a very strong club in the US (and Canada) and is the largest, best networked breed in Germany. Just makes sure that the breed is for you and that the structure of the club is for you. If both are a good fit, then you will have a ton of support.

If you are not a club sort of guy and not into following a relatively narrow road when it comes to breeding, testing etc. look at English Setters and Pointers. Chances are there are some darn good breeders not too far from you and since those breeds have a ton of history in America with a big, strong, dynamic field trial and breeding scene, you should be able to find a dog in either of those breeds that fits your hunting style and a breeder that can mentor you and get you connected with whatever network he or she is part of.

Another option is to connect with your local NAVHDA chapter and see which breed is top dog. Most chapters tend to have one breed that is most popular...some chapters are almost exclusively one-breed. But it differs from region to region. So check out what is local to you.

Good luck in your search!

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:51 am

luvthemud wrote:
crackerd wrote: So that's what you mean by which dogs have the best network - like, you know, CBS with the big eye logo coming up on screen?

MG
now you guys are getting it! Spent the weekend running coaxial and installing the dish on the dog house. Trying to decide between netflix or hulu at the moment...... :wink:
My dogs prefer Netflix. Hulu Plus has commercials even though you are paying for the service.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:10 am

With your definition of network I think you would find the answer to be whichever dog is most popular in your area, But like said by someone it will be different in different areas, new Orleans area will be different than eastern mid-west as will N. Dakota. And in truth the areas will likely be much smaller than you think, maybe just 10 or 20 miles down the road.

ezzy

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:33 pm

I'd agree with it being regional. Around here, those of us with any kind of pointing/v-dog have to band together because there are not enough folks with one particular breed or another to do anything worthwhile.

However, there are several lab focused training groups close by.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:40 pm

41magsnub wrote:I'd agree with it being regional. Around here, those of us with any kind of pointing/v-dog have to band together because there are not enough folks with one particular breed or another to do anything worthwhile.

However, there are several lab focused training groups close by.
This is why I question the idea of networks by breeds. Many of us own our favorite but we "network" with people with dogs, people with hunting dogs, people with pointing hunting dogs and finally with the only breed worth it's salt, people with Britts or some other inferior breed. lol