kennel smell

smittty

kennel smell

Post by smittty » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:04 pm

this fall I put up a new kennel..so I poured a 15x20 slab it came out great the only thing is now that spring is here and I had a chance to open the windows in my kitchen I realized I built it to close to the house. well I can't move it now ..so what is a good odor killer

luvthemud

Re: kennel smell

Post by luvthemud » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:22 pm

I would give bleach a try. After cleaning the piles spray it down with a a bleach mix?

When I had my outdoor kennel, I would use by pressure washer and actually use the soaper. Once a week. Seemed to help a little.

Do you have any wood anywhere? If so, could try replacing it with plastic decking boards.

smittty

Post by smittty » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:38 pm

luvthemud wrote:I would give bleach a try. After cleaning the piles spray it down with a a bleach mix?

When I had my outdoor kennel, I would use by pressure washer and actually use the soaper. Once a week. Seemed to help a little.

Do you have any wood anywhere? If so, could try replacing it with plastic decking boards.
no wood just concret and a couple of stall matts and yea bleach is ok if you scrub with it everyday maybe I have been using it once a week and that's just not doing it

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Crushed limestone where the water runs off will help.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:41 pm

Did you seal the concrete? If not, I'd clean the heck out of it using (separately) detergents, enzymatic cleaners, baking soda, and power washing if possible. Then I'd seal it with the best sealer you can buy. Urine seeping into unsealed concrete creates a nasty problem.

Can you set up a defined "pee area" inside the run with an absorbent material such as shavings contained in a water-proof barrier? If so you could add some of the stuff they use in horse stalls (memory is failing, name like PZD Sweet?) to the mix to neutralize the ammonia.

Limestone gravel (or even ground lime) around the outside where water runs off is a good idea to help neutralize the urine.

I'd mention how to get much smaller and way less stinky poops, but I've been clobbered enough for one day. PM me if you're interested.

Best wishes,

Bill

Collins1527

Post by Collins1527 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:26 am

I like to use lavender bleach on mine. It smells good and bugs to like the smell of it.

Thanks, Matt

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:40 am

I've worked at several vet clinics and a couple of large kennels (40-50 dogs) and keeping facilities smelling clean takes a ton of work and isn't always cheap.
Besides scooping as it falls and hosing two or three times a day, IME it really helps to keep the run-off area around the perimeter clean of hair and poop particles. Also make sure no urine has run under your stall mats. A light bleach dilution, or something like OdorBan, or KOE every other day at a minimum will do you better than once a week bleaching.
Probably as the weather warms up and you're able to keep after the kennels more thoroughly than you can over the winter, things will improve.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:56 am

I put pea gravel all around my kennel runs. It eliminates grass growing around the concrete slab. I typically use a diluted bleach spray when I wash down the runs and a splash of bleach in their water buckets.

If there is a lot of organic matter in and around your kennel from runoff, you might consider treating the affected areas, one time, with peroxide. Pig farmers often use 30% peroxide, in a moderately diluted form, to knock down odors and sanitize areas. It generally comes in 30 gal barrels. You may be able to buy a gallon of the concentrate from a farmer or farm supply place.

30% peroxide is an extremely powerful(and dangerous) oxidizing agent and will destroy pretty much any and all organic matter... pretty much on contact. Handle it with extreme care(neoprene gloves, facemask, plastic apron) as it will destroy flesh on contact. After application, wash down the treated area(and the gloves, mask and apron) with lots of water, wait a while and then wash it down again.

RayG

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:35 am

RayGubernat wrote:I put pea gravel all around my kennel runs. It eliminates grass growing around the concrete slab. I typically use a diluted bleach spray when I wash down the runs and a splash of bleach in their water buckets.

If there is a lot of organic matter in and around your kennel from runoff, you might consider treating the affected areas, one time, with peroxide. Pig farmers often use 30% peroxide, in a moderately diluted form, to knock down odors and sanitize areas. It generally comes in 30 gal barrels. You may be able to buy a gallon of the concentrate from a farmer or farm supply place.

30% peroxide is an extremely powerful(and dangerous) oxidizing agent and will destroy pretty much any and all organic matter... pretty much on contact. Handle it with extreme care(neoprene gloves, facemask, plastic apron) as it will destroy flesh on contact. After application, wash down the treated area(and the gloves, mask and apron) with lots of water, wait a while and then wash it down again.

RayG
Interesting information on the peroxide Ray. But for the expense of it, I'd have recommended using Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) with equal ratios of standard white vinegar (kept separately) as a more powerful, but less toxic, alternate to bleach. This combination is very effective at sanitizing and eliminating odors. Together the ingredients work better than either one alone, and need to be kept separate until application.

30% peroxide, while requiring special care, could be diluted, and if it is cost-effective the other part (white vinegar) can be purchased inexpensively. In the lower concentrations a peroxide-vinegar disinfectant is very safe and extremely effective (better than bleach).

Bill

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:05 am

Spy Car wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:I put pea gravel all around my kennel runs. It eliminates grass growing around the concrete slab. I typically use a diluted bleach spray when I wash down the runs and a splash of bleach in their water buckets.

RayG
Interesting information on the peroxide Ray. But for the expense of it, I'd have recommended using Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) with equal ratios of standard white vinegar (kept separately) as a more powerful, but less toxic, alternate to bleach. This combination is very effective at sanitizing and eliminating odors. Together the ingredients work better than either one alone, and need to be kept separate until application.

30% peroxide, while requiring special care, could be diluted, and if it is cost-effective the other part (white vinegar) can be purchased inexpensively. In the lower concentrations a peroxide-vinegar disinfectant is very safe and extremely effective (better than bleach).

Bill
Actually the beauty of peroxide, of any strength, is that there is no residue from it (other than pure water). Once it is used up, it is gone. If it ain't bubbling, it is pretty much safe.

It is also used to clear organic particulates from residential septic systems. After treatment, you of course have to repopulate the septic with bacteria.

RayG

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:23 am

RayGubernat wrote: Actually the beauty of peroxide, of any strength, is that there is no residue from it (other than pure water). Once it is used up, it is gone. If it ain't bubbling, it is pretty much safe.

It is also used to clear organic particulates from residential septic systems. After treatment, you of course have to repopulate the septic with bacteria.

RayG
Yes, exactly. The peroxide/vinegar spay I mentioned is actually food safe. I keep spray bottles with both (standard spray tops fit the opaque brown bottles 3% peroxide comes in) ingredients handy in the kitchen to sanitize counters, cutting boards, sinks, etc. When they've been in contact with items like raw meat.

The combo is safe and more effective than bleach. Using 3% peroxide would be costly for sanitizing a dog run, but your idea of finding industrial 30% peroxide might change the economics. Is the cost reasonable? It does seem Dollar Stores sometimes stock peroxide at 2 bottles for a dollar, so it might not even be that bad if 3% was used once and then the concrete was sealed with an acid resistant sealer (which strikes me as a key move).

Bill

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:27 am

I've used OxyClean type cleaners for years inside, on puppy accidents, puke, etc. It removes both stains and odor. I don't know why I never thought of using it in the gravel dog yard, but did so just now. I used a scoopful in a gallon of water and sloshed it on the urine-y areas. It worked great! I know it won't prevent odors, so I'll use it as needed. I like that it doesn't leave a heavy alternative odor like bleach or other products do.
The Dollar Store sells an Awesome Oxygen product that's cheaper than OxyClean.

Next I'm gonna try it on the stall mats in the barn.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Sealing the concrete is a great suggestion. Not only might it help the smell, it would probably prolong the concrete. I have seen some slabs deteriorate due to dog waste, especially if the slap is broom finished.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:49 am

I'm currently using Odoban which seems to be doing good. Sealing the concrete will help but you have to do something about runoff. Lyme works great for this but since I started using Odoban, I stopped using Lyme.

Firelight

Post by Firelight » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:20 pm

I have used a product called Odormute that does a great job. I think its enzyme based. It comes in a powder and you mix a solution to pour/spray on the kennels. Knocked out even stud dog odors in my runs, using it once a week, may be more often in the heat of summer. I kept some mixed in one of those 2 gallon sprayers and between full cleanings I would spray the areas where the males marked all the time. Took only a couple of minutes and worked - at my old place the kennels were close to the back deck and I could tell if I had not sprayed.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:55 pm

Odoban, available at Sam's Club, some Wal-Mart's, Home Depot. Also lemon Pro-Force, and old fashion pinesol. In a spray bottle used daily. Once a week, bleach. Every 3 - 4 months lime the run off area.

JAG06

Post by JAG06 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:03 pm

smittty wrote:this fall I put up a new kennel..so I poured a 15x20 slab it came out great the only thing is now that spring is here and I had a chance to open the windows in my kitchen I realized I built it to close to the house. well I can't move it now ..so what is a good odor killer

When I only had a few dogs I would always wash the kennels with hot water and bleach every day. Just one bucket with hot water and bleach for each kennel, scrub and wash off with hose. Not much work if one only have a few kennels and definitely worth it if kennels close to the house. For runoff I just put a drain outside the kennels the length of the kennels and hooked the pipe into the house septic system (-:

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:57 pm

rockyridge kennels

Post by rockyridge kennels » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Regular dawn dish soap the blue original seems to work well.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Tue May 19, 2015 10:03 am

rockyridge kennels wrote:Regular dawn dish soap the blue original seems to work well.
Dawn Dish Soap! is the best. I use a garden sprayer that goes on the end of your water hose. I spray the kennel down a couple of times a week. If your not using a septic system when you scoop poop, put it in a can with a lid and put kitty litter in the can until your trash runs. If you have a septic just clean the kennels with dawn in a garden sprayer and you wont have any smell.