Pup's Eyes - Anyone ever see this problem?

Gertie

Pup's Eyes - Anyone ever see this problem?

Post by Gertie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:47 pm

This issue came on all of the sudden while in the car about 5 min. from my house. The pup was sitting shotgun and I looked over at her and her eyes were completely shut and she was moving her head around (kind of looked confused). Once I got stopped I rinsed them out with saline a few times but that only helped a little (she could open them but they looked like the photo below). I was a at a trial and called a vet friend of mine and she said it was probably just irritation and called me in a prescription for an antibiotic/steroid. That has helped a bit but her eyes still don't look normal and she is just not herself. She's pretty much slept non-stop (even at the trial) since and when I let her off leash she ran around a little bit but not nearly like she usually does. Her temp is normal but given her lethargy and the persistence of the eye issue I'm worried something more is going on than an eye irritation. Obviously if this keeps up past today I'm going to take her in but if any of you have ever seen anything like this before I'd appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks so much.

smittty

Re: Pup's Eyes - Anyone ever see this problem?

Post by smittty » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:14 pm

yup seen that I had a pup that went blind for 3 or 4 or 5 day can't remember but he looked like that just worst..vet said to keep flushing them that it was something in the field that he was allergic to... I still have the dog and it never happened again that was ten years ago ...so I would not worry

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:23 pm

Happy to report that after a few more treatments with they eye drops the pup's eyes are looking much better. She also chewed up my favorite chapstick this morning so she must be feeling better as well :roll:

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:10 pm

Gertie wrote:Happy to report that after a few more treatments with they eye drops the pup's eyes are looking much better. She also chewed up my favorite chapstick this morning so she must be feeling better as well :roll:
Good to hear.....well, not that you lost your chapstick, but that the dog's eyes are looking better.

Any idea what it could have been that caused this, assuming it was an allergy or reaction to something?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:59 pm

Don't know if this was your case, but LOTS of reasons not to let your dog ride with his head hanging out the window.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:25 pm

I'm really not sure what happened. It came on super sudden and the only thing I have been able to come up with is that when I turned the heater on in the car dust might have blown out of the vents and got in her eyes. Maybe I need to clean my car once in a while :oops: She wasn't hanging her head out the window at the time (although I've been guilty of letting them do that when we're going slow-ish through the neighborhood).