more than one hunting dogs in the house?

Jägermeister

more than one hunting dogs in the house?

Post by Jägermeister » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:38 pm

What are the pros and cons of having more than one bird dog in the house? I have one well behaved setter and have been contemplating getting a second hunting dog.

Deets

Re: more than one hunting dogs in the house?

Post by Deets » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:13 pm

There are probably no pros. I have an pointer that lives inside, and I am fixing to have another. I just could not see making one a kennel dog, and letting the other stay in, so they will both live inside (along with a boston terrier). I just plan on vacuming every day.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:15 am

We have 4 setters and 1 terrier in the house.

The pros are having 5 dogs around all the time.

The cons are having 5 dogs around all the time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:49 am

IMG951753.jpg
No biggie........... we just vacuum every other day.
And it's always interesting when someone rings the doorbell !! ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:14 am

I was hoping to breed my VC and get a pup out of the litter at some point down the road when Remy was a bit longer in the tooth and maybe toward the end of his career. Well, you know what they say about best-laid plans.

Now we have two GWPs, and I can honestly say it was one of the better choices we made. The dogs really complement each other nicely. Remy seems a bit more mellow with a buddy in the house, and they both get plenty of exercise playing. Plus, they are dynamite in the field. I really like having two versatile dogs in the duck marsh and the CRP. It actually makes me want to get another!

But that one will have to be when they're BOTH near retirement. Or when we get a much bigger house and yard.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:54 am

We have four dogs in our house, 8, 5, 2, 1. 2 are males 2 are females. Pros, the bond we build IMO is far better then all living outside in a kennel. Obed. , working and learning as a group and youngsters learning from the older dogs. We tend to do little things in training that the dogs might not see living outside. Cons, cleaning, we vacuum a lot more then normal. The only place in our home that has carpet is the 2 bedroom up stairs. We whelp and raise our pups in the kitchen. Pups get allot of socialization this way. I couldn't call this a con. A PRO for my husband , JJ always goes to bed with me so when Howie comes to bed his side always warm!!!! :lol:

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:20 am

Had two dogs in the house (a Springer and a Lab). Only cons were the need to vacuum a lot. After our Springer went to the Elysian Fields, we've been a one dog family but that will change this summer. The Springer helped teach the lab. We hope the lab helps teach the cocker

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:45 am

3 in the house = no problem for me. Of course I'm not super fussy about a perfectly clean house. If your wife or husband is then .................. Only time I regret it is in the Spring when the backyard is mud. Of course a new pup ha sits own challenges for year one. :)

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:53 pm

Sharon wrote:3 in the house = no problem for me. Of course I'm not super fussy about a perfectly clean house. If your wife or husband is then .................. Only time I regret it is in the Spring when the backyard is mud. Of course a new pup ha sits own challenges for year one. :)
I notice a trend of more vacuming which makes sense. Sharon I don't think I'm ready to deal with a puppy until I get some land I can run them anytime. A puppy may be easier for them to be buddies. I have a male and he tries to dominate some other male dogs. I would like a female but I don't want any animal planet going down in the living room.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:33 pm

shags wrote:We have 4 setters and 1 terrier in the house.

The pros are having 5 dogs around all the time.

The cons are having 5 dogs around all the time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
+1 hahaha this is hilarious.

I have 2: a springer and an EP. I think the time spent with me makes them more cooperative.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:42 pm

We generally have 4 or 5 in the house on a normal basis. We enjoy the dogs so we put up with the hair and the occasional "creamy white filling" messes from the toy decapitations. Not sure what will happen when the 15 year old Pointer passes, she pretty much keeps things quiet and has taught every other dog we own that there is NO horseplay on our bed. IF you are invited to sleep up there, you must not wiggle, scratch, move, or shake your head - any dog making any of those mistakes is immediately corrected with a growl. Moving around to re-adjust your position usually results in her snapping at them! Hubby and I both love that she's trained all of our others to behave if they get to sleep on the bed.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:06 am

We have 2 dogs and I think perhaps I'm a one dog household kind of guy. Don't mind either one but the 2 together drive me nuts. Too much horseplay and I can't seem to curb it. Both are 2 years old (one is almost 3) and all they want to do all the time is run around and play fight as if they've never seen each other before. I'm hoping with age they learn to chill out and be normal. I think it is the dachshund in particular that is the issue, she plays like that constantly with any dog. The cocker is better socially and isn't overly concerned with other dogs but when you have a little ankle biter constantly hanging off and jumping at you its hard to stay calm I guess. However I don't think I will ever be a 1 dog household again, the fiance likes having 2. Next time however they will not be close in age. I think 6-7 years between them is a good gap.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:25 am

I have three male Brittanys in the house ,at times it can be entertaining and other times they need to go in their crates.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:46 am

I have 2: a springer and an EP. I think the time spent with me makes them more cooperative.
MN Springer, I'm curious about an EP as a housedog. I've always had the notion than an EP is rather a skittish dog. Does it quiet down in the house?

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:00 am

have 2 PudelP's and a small Shih Tzu ( that is not a foo foo dog- back packs with the best of them) in the house- maybe it's because the PP's are 2 and 6 that they age diff makes it work out- but couldn't be more pleased with the set up.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:31 pm

Have a 3yr old lab and 7month old GSP both in the house. They are created when we are not home but both know their spot when they are out. The pup can get a little wound up but the lab ends it when he is done with it. Expect spills, paw prints and hair, lots and lots of hair.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:27 pm

MNTonester wrote:
MN Springer, I'm curious about an EP as a housedog. I've always had the notion than an EP is rather a skittish dog. Does it quiet down in the house?
Well, here's what I've noticed. My EP has more energy when at her energy peak (so to speak), but in the house she is quicker to lay down and fall asleep. My springer doesnt peak as high, but she tends to stay "busier" for longer, playing with her toys and walking around the house. But after a bit both are zonked out on the couch.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:46 pm

We have 2 setters (one is an 8 mo pup) and a heeler in the house. I think the obvious pro is that you'll have two dogs that you'll be able to hunt and that means more hunting time :D The cons are the hair in the house and the mud tracked into the house. Ours spend the day in the back yard while we're at work and then get an off-leash run for an hour in the evening. It keeps things pretty mellow in the house. Honestly, once they've gotten their run and are fed, the setters are basically a piece of furniture. The heeler is another story.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:53 pm

One of the best purchases I have ever made is my Bissel Big Green carpet cleaner! This time of year I find myself using it quite often due to the dog tracking mud and dirt in the house. Works great on couches too!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:11 pm

Until I installed a little gravel dog yard for muddy times, I kept a plastic coffee of water can near the back door and dipped/wiped dog feet as they came in. The small microfiber towels worked well for that. We also have airline crates inside. They keep the hair and dirt contained better than wire crates.
Get a Shark! Best vacuum ever! Not super expensive and it does great on hair and dirt the dogs drag in. Seems like every day I vac up a half acre or so of the farmfield next door. :P

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:06 pm

We have 4 dogs. All have outside kennels. We have one in the house at a time. We rotate one every 2-3 days inside. They are all house dog "qualified" / conditioned yet all are able to stand the rigors of a Far Northern midwest Winter as well as endure the below zero cold of late season Phez hunting. We also do not have to contend with the mess inside of more than one dog. Spillage, shedding, mud etc.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:29 pm

I have 2 pointers in the house. When I am home they're typically in the yard. When they're inside and my wife and I are home they're typically relaxed and amiable.