Bottle Feeding New Pups

windswept

Bottle Feeding New Pups

Post by windswept » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:29 pm

What is everyone using to help mom if she has an unusually large litter of pups? What exactly are you feeding the pups and what type of bottle do you use?
I do not have any puppies on the ground right now but the best time to ask for advice is before it's an emergency.
Thanks for your help.

Tejas

Re: Bottle Feeding New Pups

Post by Tejas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Essential Pet veterinarian formulated Milk Replacer enriched with colostrum. Manufactured by 21st Century Animal Health Care and sold at Petsmart. Bottle is a GNC 4 tbsp plastic that came with five different nipples, also from Petsmart.

WindfallFarmES

Re: Bottle Feeding New Pups

Post by WindfallFarmES » Sat May 16, 2015 7:24 pm

Sponge feeding is preferred by many, easier for them to latch on than bottles/nipples, less risk of aspiration than tube feeding, and it more naturally stimulates suckle reflex. Lots of Youtube videos. Cosmetic sponges, milk replacer, and syringe are all that is needed. Here is one youtube example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4KdHiRsnM

Even with litters of 10 or 11 I have never supplemented, just rotated all onto the best spots at the milk bar, or take the big pups off best producing teats and put little ones on just as milk let down occurs. I start litters onto mushy solids at 3 to 3 1/3 weeks old.