netting pigeons

ruffbritt4

netting pigeons

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:59 pm

My dad and I are going to try to net some pigeons for our two dogs, and were wondering what is the best way to do so? Also if you have any tips that would be great, thank you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: netting pigeons

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:04 pm

in the dark where they are sleeping.

Don't do what I did. Under the bridge in the city at 2 a.m., and then the Police show up asking .......................

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Sharon wrote:in the dark where they are sleeping.

Don't do what I did. Under the bridge in the city at 2 a.m., and then the Police show up asking .......................
You would do anything to meet a guy!!!!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Costco sold tactical flashlights, LED, very bright. They have one mode that flashes rapidly. Shine that in a pigeons face at night and just pick them off the ledge. They do not even move. The lights were sold in a set of 3 for 15.00, great buy.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:53 am

Thank you for the help. How do you plant a pigeon for a pointing dog without using launchers?

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:46 am

If you going to plant pigeons for a pointing dog, the dog should be on a checkcord or steady to flush. I wouldnt use pigeons to start with a young pup. I would use good flying quail or chukar, and let the pup find, point, bump, and chase. Let the birds teach the pup when it is young and not so fast that it will catch them.

For planting pigeons you can dizzy them or us a kick cage. It takes some practice to dizzy them up the right amount to have them not get up and fly off before the dog finds them or be too dizzy to fly. IMO launchers are the best way to use pigeons.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:45 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Sharon wrote:in the dark where they are sleeping.

You would do anything to meet a guy!!!!
only in the old days LOL

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:50 am

ruffbritt4 wrote:Thank you for the help. How do you plant a pigeon for a pointing dog without using launchers?
Hard flying pigeons are the perfect/ cheaper bird for a young dog. Learn to dizzy the bird for the amount of time you want it to stay put.
( rotating your wrist quickly. Put the bird's head under its wing when you plant it.)

( If you are just starting a young dog , I let it chase hard flying pigeons, it can't catch, initially. It speeds up steadying imo. as the bird teaches the dog that it can't be caught. When the dog starts a brief point/ creeping the check cord goes on and there is no more chasing. Not everyone does this but it worked well for me.)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:10 pm

You could also get some baby socks, tie on a string or length of yarn, dizzy the bird a bit and cover the bird's head with the sock.

It should stay where you put it but fly off within seconds of getting the sock pulled off.

I second the recommendation to have the dog on a check cord for a dizzied pigeon. Too much chance of the dog catching the bird.

RayG

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Thank you for the help. We got permission from a farm to net their pigeons. We have an extension pole that we will put a fishing net on. Where do you keep your pigeons for a day or two before using them?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:07 pm

in a crate in the garage

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:49 am

Sharon wrote:
ruffbritt4 wrote:Thank you for the help. How do you plant a pigeon for a pointing dog without using launchers?
Hard flying pigeons are the perfect/ cheaper bird for a young dog. Learn to dizzy the bird for the amount of time you want it to stay put.
( rotating your wrist quickly. Put the bird's head under its wing when you plant it.)

( If you are just starting a young dog , I let it chase hard flying pigeons, it can't catch, initially. It speeds up steadying imo. as the bird teaches the dog that it can't be caught. When the dog starts a brief point/ creeping the check cord goes on and there is no more chasing. Not everyone does this but it worked well for me.)
Putting the bird down that way pretty much put's it to sleep, easy for the pup to catch unless you work it in on a CC. When you do do that, the wing the head is under goes on the ground and some cover on top of it. Dizzy start's pretty much the same way but a dizzied bird will give you less time to get the pup to it. Do the same thing but don't tuck the head. When it's neck get's rubbery , throw the bird into good cover. That is two similar but different methods. Planting a bird asleep works well for steady pointing dog's. Dizzying them and throwing them down works well for flushing dog's and pup's.

By dizzying them, you will have birds take off before you get to them, usually up and ready to go in 5 to 10 minutes. If you put them to sleep it would be best to work them in on a CC and have someone flush for you. Then as the bird come's up just let go of the CC. I found the best way to dizzy them and keep them there for a pup is to carry a couple in the pocket's of my hunting vest. Work the pup around on one and then while the pup is off investigating thing's, plant another as you go.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:17 pm

Never found that method to be a problem Don , but always appreciate more info a subject. Definitely takes some practice to know how much to dizzy for the purpose needed.

"Planting a bird asleep works well for steady pointing dog's. Dizzying them and throwing them down works well for flushing dog's and pup's. " quote Don