What ecollar? And GPS?

Sundby

What ecollar? And GPS?

Post by Sundby » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:46 pm

I have been looking to buy a new e collar and Gps for my 11 month old gsp, I currently have a garmin delta that works good in the yard or up close, but in the field it don't work very good, really doesn't work at all, I tested it and it's about 200 yd range and when the dog is full of adrenaline it doesn't phase him at all, and the bark collar does not work really at all,also I want a gps , I really like the alpha since it has both ecollar and gps, but since I'm training also, I think it might be a hassle, so I was thinking a astro and new ecollar, I have found some older tritronics ecollars , like the field 90 or upland special, are these older units better than he new garmins? So what would you buy? Thanks

ibbowhunting

Re: What ecollar? And GPS?

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Are you following a training system? some systems use nick, some use continuous, pro 100 is continuous the pro 200 or (Upland special)is Nick, The pro 500 does both and the new 550 pro does both with a bark collar I heard bad things about the bark feature from what I understand you can turn it off, and just leave it off

my choice is a lates model pro 100 if you can find one ,The new 550 which is easy to find would be my next choice

just my 2 cents

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:41 am

Before I invested in an older model ecollar, I'd be making sure support and parts would be available for quite a long time. It seems like some parts like batteries can be proprietory and and as models are phased out, so are the parts that keep them going. Repair/replace can be expensive.
Maybe a call to something like Collar Clinic would give you some info about it?

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:53 pm

I had a Garmin Delta Sport that basically performed similar to your description. From my perspective it was near useless in the field. The barking eliminator did not work at all. I purchased a TT Pro 200 which I like and it performs well. They discontinued that model but Garmin has a Pro 550 that gets great reviews from most. Also look at the Dogtra Edge. This unit gets awesome reviews. I have not read a poor review on it yet. They also have a Dogtra Edge RT that people are comparing. Dogtra has a two year warranty. Garmin one year. Both are getting good customer assistant reviews. The Pro 550 has several bells and whistles for the price. With that said, my next purchase I will give the Dogtra Edge a hard look based on reviews.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:55 pm

I forgot, I have a Garmin 320 GPS which has worked very well. I have only used it for one season, but I wouldn't want to hunt without it now. I personally like the GPS and e-collar as a separate unit. Mainly in case one has problems then I have the other unit available, and I don't like having the GPS on the dog during training.

Sundby

Post by Sundby » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:56 pm

One reason I was wanting to go with the older tritronics is I already have a G3 exp collar that's new with no remote, so that's one reason.... But the older tritronics that I can find new is all more money than the new garmin models... And I just ordered the astro today.

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:55 pm

Let us know how the astro works for you. I am considering a gps collar as well. And I also have a delta which was a waste of $200. Luckily my dog is older now and I don't really need the e collar but that first year he could run through it if he wanted. Currently I use a bell which is great for quial but I'm planning on traveling and going after pheasant. I read on gundog supply some trials don't allow certain gps collars. So that may be something to consider if you intend to trial.