Rambunctious Puppy "attacking" me

KyleRay

Rambunctious Puppy "attacking" me

Post by KyleRay » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:01 am

Hi there, new to gundog.

I recently got a 9 week old GSP. I've dealt with labs and flat-coated retriever pups in the past but they were both nearly 4 months old when I got them, so a little different.

My "problem" is the 20% of the time that she decides not just to be a rambunctious puppy but she goes completely and shocking ape crazy, running and sliding under the couch where she barks at nothing, then attacks me or my fiancee.

And by attack, I mean she decides that only we are her toy and that it's time to kill the toy. Trying to redirect by giving her another chew does nothing, she merely charges and will bite our pants, ankles, hands and if you pick her up she only fights more and will bite anything she can

I initially tried the whole "say OUCH in a low tone and walk away" but it doesn't work, she just attacks you as you walk away and is unresponsive to the "ouch".

Same with "NO."

So far, we do stuff all morning, playing with toys, going on a short walk and chewing ropes on the porch. Typically it's after her afternoon nap, she becomes possessed.

Yesterday we had a good/big day walking around, training with sit for a little while and spend nearly the entire day together doing stuff...she was exhausted and fell asleep quickly by the afternoon. When she woke up, she was a demon.

I'm frustrated because that 20% of the time is resulting in some serious negative experiences. We try to be patient and redirect her energy but when she is running across the room and then attacking and biting hard enough to that she's broken skin a few times, it's hard to be patient.

80% of the time "Penny" is your normal higher-energy breed pup.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this whole "attack" thing is new to us.

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by KyleRay on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Rambunctious Puppy "attacking" me

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:28 pm

http://www.kninebirddog.com/puppy-foundations.html you will find an approach I use for nipping and biting pups ...I treat this as a capitol offense at a young dog scale.
Scooping up by the scruff of the neck and hold up high as this pup here sounds like she is seriously testing her limits and JMHO I would get this corrected.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:57 pm

This aggressive biting and playing too rough is what I see when pups are not allowed to grow up around other pups and older dogs that are quick and stern with their discipline.
I have seen this over and over when people get pups 5-7 wks old and raise in a one dog family. They don't know what a pecking order is and that they are a dog and not of the human pecking order.
kninebirddog wrote:http://www.kninebirddog.com/puppy-foundations.html you will find an approach I use for nipping and biting pups ...I treat this as a capitol offense at a young dog scale.
Scooping up by the scruff of the neck and hold up high as this pup here sounds like she is seriously testing her limits and JMHO I would get this corrected.
+1

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:29 am

My pups would "attack" me one time,and quickly find out that was the wrong thing to do.This needs to be addressed right now.Snatch that little bugger up and remind him who is the boss.This is no time to be timid,your pup needs to learn you and everyone in your family is in charge.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:24 am

Hoosierdaddy wrote:My pups would "attack" me one time,and quickly find out that was the wrong thing to do.This needs to be addressed right now.Snatch that little bugger up and remind him who is the boss.This is no time to be timid,your pup needs to learn you and everyone in your family is in charge.
+1

unfortnately, this is the only way your pup will learn not to do that. the turn away and ignore method only reinforces his belief he can be the boss. good luck.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:29 am

I usually grab them by the scruff, turn them over on their back with my hand on their chest/neck, and hold them there until they give up the fight. like somebody already said, they have to know that YOU are the boss.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:08 am

I feel for you. My 5 month old setter doesn't seem to be a severe case like you're dealing with but he's still a teething puppy figuring out the world around him. I've found that I can stop rambunctious puppy biting by holding his snout while saying NO very sternly and then immediately releasing the snout. When he follows that up with another bite I repeat it and after a few of those he stops. The key has been to hold and release the snout very quickly so you're not wrestling with him but rather, associating the command with the expectation repeatedly.

You may need to be a little more authoritative as folks have suggested. Good luck and hopefully she'll outgrow much of it.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:35 am

Hoosierdaddy wrote:My pups would "attack" me one time,and quickly find out that was the wrong thing to do.This needs to be addressed right now.Snatch that little bugger up and remind him who is the boss.This is no time to be timid,your pup needs to learn you and everyone in your family is in charge.
+1

Instead of the "hold up in the air" method, I take my thumb around the inside of their collar and use this to pin them down to the floor while using your other hand to place firmly under their muzzle, lifting their head away from you as you go right down over them and growl.
Keep the pup in this restricted, submissive position until they either:

- stop their rambunctiousness
- piss themselves

Continue to do this every time they cross the line with regards to nipping at pant legs, hands.... etc..... and you say "no!" once and they ignore your verbal correction.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:58 am

I do as momma dog does, grab the muzzle and close it, I add the don't bite command. A few times of this they give up, I do give them a chew toy to help with the teeth cutting (New teeth coming in). If that don't work then they go to the floor until they give up.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:15 pm

First thing I would suggest is you call your breeder

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:14 pm

KyleRay wrote: Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this whole "attack" thing is new to us.

Thanks everyone!
Hmmm?
Are you sure that a ''Gun dog Training forum'' is the best source of information for your situation based on the fact that you have a gun dog breed rather than an Issue with a dog that happens to be a gun dog breed?

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:34 pm

polmaise wrote:
KyleRay wrote: Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this whole "attack" thing is new to us.

Thanks everyone!
Hmmm?
Are you sure that a ''Gun dog Training forum'' is the best source of information for your situation based on the fact that you have a gun dog breed rather than an Issue with a dog that happens to be a gun dog breed?
Huh? I've read this 4 times now and am not sure what you are getting at?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:56 pm

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:27 pm

KyleRay wrote:Hi there, new to gundog.

I recently got a 9 week old GSP from Bonas Kennels in Indiana. I've dealt with labs and flat-coated retriever pups in the past but they were both nearly 4 months old when I got them, so a little different.

My "problem" is the 20% of the time that she decides not just to be a rambunctious puppy but she goes completely and shocking ape crazy, running and sliding under the couch where she barks at nothing, then attacks me or my fiancee.

And by attack, I mean she decides that only we are her toy and that it's time to kill the toy. Trying to redirect by giving her another chew does nothing, she merely charges and will bite our pants, ankles, hands and if you pick her up she only fights more and will bite anything she can

I initially tried the whole "say OUCH in a low tone and walk away" but it doesn't work, she just attacks you as you walk away and is unresponsive to the "ouch".

Same with "NO."

So far, we do stuff all morning, playing with toys, going on a short walk and chewing ropes on the porch. Typically it's after her afternoon nap, she becomes possessed.

Yesterday we had a good/big day walking around, training with sit for a little while and spend nearly the entire day together doing stuff...she was exhausted and fell asleep quickly by the afternoon. When she woke up, she was a demon.

I'm frustrated because that 20% of the time is resulting in some serious negative experiences. We try to be patient and redirect her energy but when she is running across the room and then attacking and biting hard enough to break skin, it's hard to be patient.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this whole "attack" thing is new to us.

Thanks everyone!
It is hard to know just how far this is going, but with (the closely related) Vizslas these sorts of behaviors are typical enough that they have nicknames, "Shark Attacks" and "Zoomies."

My suggestion for a Shark Attack is to gently fold the dogs jowls/lip flap between their teeth with your hand. Then if they bite down, they are biting into the inside of their own cheeks. This teaches the puppy to have a soft mouth. It won't correct the behavior 100% immediately. This is a phase they pass through. If you can endure it, they learn lessons from biting on their own cheeks that (for me) are worth the patience vs using harder reprimands.

Bill

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:31 pm

My favorite was the tyrannosaurus. While stopping the dog from jumping up, one thing I tried was grabbing her front paws and holding them tightly. That turned into a game where she would tuck her front arms in and try to bite my hands. Turning away and the old fashioned knee to the chest fixed that problem.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Usually a conditioned sit sorts it out :mrgreen:

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:48 pm

One of my pups was a bit nippy. I tried a lot of the suggested things above (dominance, muzzle grab, "no!" Etc.) but worked best was grabbing her lower jaw with my thumb inside her mouth and saying "no bite." She hated my thumb in there and learned quickly.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:36 pm

Spy Car wrote:

I recently got a 9 week old GSP from Bonas Kennels in Indiana. I've dealt with labs and flat-coated retriever pups in the past but they were both nearly 4 months old when I got them, so a little different.

Same with "NO."

I'm frustrated because that 20% of the time is resulting in some serious negative experiences. We try to be patient and redirect her energy but when she is running across the room and then attacking and biting hard enough to break skin, it's hard to be patient.

Thanks everyone!
It is hard to know just how far this is going, but with (the closely related) Vizslas these sorts of behaviors are typical enough that they have nicknames, "Shark Attacks" and "Zoomies."

My suggestion for a Shark Attack is to gently fold the dogs jowls/lip flap between their teeth with your hand. Then if they bite down, they are biting into the inside of their own cheeks. This teaches the puppy to have a soft mouth. It won't correct the behavior 100% immediately. This is a phase they pass through. If you can endure it, they learn lessons from biting on their own cheeks that (for me) are worth the patience vs using harder reprimands.

Bill
You just compared a GSP to a Vizsla? Yeah, they may be 99.8% related but they are completely different in terms of how you train. I have both so I think I can speak. "Zoomies or Shark attacks" would not be tolerated though. It would not be gentle though.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:11 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:One of my pups was a bit nippy. I tried a lot of the suggested things above (dominance, muzzle grab, "no!" Etc.) but worked best was grabbing her lower jaw with my thumb inside her mouth and saying "no bite." She hated my thumb in there and learned quickly.

Yup, thumb under the tongue helped stop my dog from nipping.

Now he is teething though, so he is back to wanting to chew on me again. Hopefully won't last long.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:24 pm

polmaise wrote:Usually a conditioned sit sorts it out :mrgreen:

The pup is only 9 weeks old.

Scruff and pin has always worked for us, and it only takes once or twice depending how boneheaded the pup is.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:28 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
Spy Car wrote:

Same with "NO."

Thanks everyone!

Bill
You just compared a GSP to a Vizsla? Yeah, they may be 99.8% related but they are completely different in terms of how you train. I have both so I think I can speak. "Zoomies or Shark attacks" would not be tolerated though. It would not be gentle though.
Yeah, I've had Weimaraners, GSPs, and Vizslas. All were individuals, all had certain breed traits, and all had a lot in common.

To each their own on how hard they choose to be on a 9 week old puppy. I prefer a consistent but relatively gentle approach, understanding this is pretty normal developmental behaviour that a puppy will grow through it if guided by a soft and consistent hand. I've never ending up with anything but outstanding well behaved and well trained dogs, so I know there are choices other than "hard ones."

Bill

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri May 01, 2015 5:46 am

Have you read where soft and consistent has got the OP?
For obnoxious behaviors, like dog teeth on people skin, from pushy obnoxious puppies, once and done seems to work better. Would the dam sweetly explain to a biting pup? No, she'd set him straight the first time and be done with it. Once the rule is clear, gentle reminders are usually enough.
I think it's important to pick your battles though, and not bring out the big guns for every puppy behavior. But biting and drawing blood? That's crossing the line.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Fri May 01, 2015 7:15 am

KyleRay wrote:but she goes completely and shocking ape crazy, running and sliding under the couch where she barks at nothing
In addition to working on biting/nipping, you have got to curb the other behaviors as well. Some house behaviors that are (sorta) tolerable for a 12# pup quickly become totally intolerable for a 50# adolescent/adult. You simply cannot allow running/jumping/barking etc in the house. Attach a short, light rope to the pup so you can quick correct/curb some of these unwanted behaviors. Are you crate training?

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Fri May 01, 2015 9:48 am

shags wrote:Have you read where soft and consistent has got the OP?
For obnoxious behaviors, like dog teeth on people skin, from pushy obnoxious puppies, once and done seems to work better. Would the dam sweetly explain to a biting pup? No, she'd set him straight the first time and be done with it. Once the rule is clear, gentle reminders are usually enough.
I think it's important to pick your battles though, and not bring out the big guns for every puppy behavior. But biting and drawing blood? That's crossing the line.
Understand that I'm not suggesting the OP ignore or tolerate biting behaviors. Gently folding the puppies cheek flaps inside its mouth (so any "bites" are to its own tender skin on the inside of its mouth) is a very effective way of teaching the puppy that biting hurts. It is far more effective than the common advice (and the one the OP seems to been following) of having the human "act" hurt/saying "Ouch", etc.

A pup biting on their own cheek (with its sharp little baby teeth) teaches the natural consequence of this behavior outstandingly well. It hurts. They link their actions directly to the pain. It help to It helps set up a soft mouth. I don't doubt one could "pull out the big guns", but I personally prefer teaching the lesson to have a soft mouth, while understanding this is pretty normal behavior in teething puppies. They do need to learn people are not litter-mates, or chew toys. For sure.

Bill

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:07 pm

Bill, I doubt if there are many people who have had a pup or two that haven't read or heard the technique you are promoting. Most people who have tried it have moved on to more effective ways in their minds. I have little to add to this as I have never found puppy biting to be much of a problem or hard to stop but I do know I never liked having to catch the pup, take time to arrange the lips, and then wait for the pup to try and bite again when I can just tap it's nose and say stop and get results a lot quicker. But this is just another example of people having different methods for the same purpose and they all like the way they are doing it. Might just let everyone do it their way and if it isn't working they will ask or try something new.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri May 01, 2015 12:30 pm

shags wrote:

Scruff and pin has always worked for us, and it only takes once or twice depending how boneheaded the pup is.
The OP obtained the pup at 9 weeks old :wink:
The latest picture would suggest it's a bit older :roll: (unless my eyes deceive me)
If it was only 11, or 12 weeks old now ,then I can Imagine what behaviour has been allowed to develop in such a short time :(
If the pup is only 10 weeks old now? , then in one week of having the pup the OP has a problem that requires so much discipline ? phew!!!.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Fri May 01, 2015 12:43 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Bill, I doubt if there are many people who have had a pup or two that haven't read or heard the technique you are promoting. Most people who have tried it have moved on to more effective ways in their minds. I have little to add to this as I have never found puppy biting to be much of a problem or hard to stop but I do know I never liked having to catch the pup, take time to arrange the lips, and then wait for the pup to try and bite again when I can just tap it's nose and say stop and get results a lot quicker. But this is just another example of people having different methods for the same purpose and they all like the way they are doing it. Might just let everyone do it their way and if it isn't working they will ask or try something new.
Well Ezzy, I was responding to the OP, not to "most people on this forum." The technique I described is not unknown except, it seems, to the OP who came here for help.

There are many ways to correct puppy behaviors that work. The method I described works. Really well. But not instantly. It is part of a process of puppy rearing, and respects that 9 week old (and up) puppies are passing through a developmental period where this sort of behavior is normal and to be expected. I believe one gets better long term results (i.e. a dog with a soft mouth) by using the technique I described rather than breaking out "the big guns' on a 9-12 week old puppy. Stopping a negative behavior is not a effective in my mind as teaching a positive behavior, which in this case is teaching a puppy to have a soft mouth.

No matter what a puppy needs to be trained not to bite.

I'm not understanding the "lecturing tone" about people having different methods. Others have offered their methods, I'm offering an alternative. People are free to train "their way." The thing about dog training is there are many methods that work.

The OP can decide for themselves what makes sense for them. They asked. I answered.

Bill

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 01, 2015 2:00 pm

Exactly.

by shags » Fri May 01, 2015 6:46 am

Have you read where soft and consistent has got the OP?

I guess I worked at the jail too long. I'd have that problem solved quickly and it wouldn't be nice. Get tough.
Last edited by Sharon on Fri May 01, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Fri May 01, 2015 2:07 pm

polmaise wrote:
shags wrote:

The OP obtained the pup at 9 weeks old :wink:
The latest picture would suggest it's a bit older :roll: (unless my eyes deceive me)
If it was only 11, or 12 weeks old now ,then I can Imagine what behaviour has been allowed to develop in such a short time :(
If the pup is only 10 weeks old now? , then in one week of having the pup the OP has a problem that requires so much discipline ? phew!!!.
You are confusing me with the OP. The pic was a confused GSP I posted in response to your still very confusing "why are you posting here" comment.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Fri May 01, 2015 2:28 pm

Sharon wrote:I guess I worked at the jail too long. I'd have that problem solved quickly and it wouldn't be nice. Get tough.
I guess I don't view little puppies the way I do criminals. I would not chain a dog to a stake to teach it to "heel" either, To each his or her own.

Bill

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri May 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Commonsense and proportion are always good components toward instilling dominance over a young pup...as would be keeping anger out of the equation.
I know each is considered a given but....anyway, I had a lab pup that would do the old jump at the face and nip deal as we would lay on the ground.
The second time is the important time, not the first as one's reaction needs a bit of that commonsense and proportion.
The second time I was ready..in fact I set it up and rolled the lad with a immediate and sufficient response of an open hand...enough for the task and no more.
The look on his face was priceless and remains in my memory today, long after Spenser has gone home.
IMO, after that immediate response, one should also ignore the pup as if nothing had happened out of the ordinary for a short bit, measured in puppy time, and then move on with pup as a buddy.
Remain alert and ready for a touch-up.
Besides that, most understand the hold down, lay on top of, yada yida manoeuvers.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri May 01, 2015 2:54 pm

41magsnub wrote: You are confusing me with the OP. The pic was a confused GSP I posted in response to your still very confusing "why are you posting here" comment.
Then perhaps you should respond to the OP'S post/issue ,rather than what has become the norm these day's where some 'Jump on' others comments rather than the issue at hand? :(
I'll clarify for you :wink: ..I never once said ''why are you posting here'' ! ..So please don't use Quote marks for your own 'Interpretation' :mrgreen: Thanks .
Now, If the OP has an issue with a 9 week old pup that shows behaviour as described by the OP'r , and requires advice after a few days or weeks of having the pup then although with the best intentions to any 'newbie' ! (although the OP is not a newbie as they stated they have had dogs before) then perhaps a Dog , or in this case a Gun dog , or for that matter a GSP is not the right choice for some ?..Sorry to be so 'Blunt' (honest) .
ps. magsnub, My picture of the spaniel enjoying time with me was rhetorical to your confused gsp pup :)

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri May 01, 2015 3:18 pm

polmaise wrote:
41magsnub wrote: You are confusing me with the OP. The pic was a confused GSP I posted in response to your still very confusing "why are you posting here" comment.
Then perhaps you should respond to the OP'S post/issue ,rather than what has become the norm these day's where some 'Jump on' others comments rather than the issue at hand? :(
I'll clarify for you :wink: ..I never once said ''why are you posting here'' ! ..So please don't use Quote marks for your own 'Interpretation' :mrgreen: Thanks .
Now, If the OP has an issue with a 9 week old pup that shows behaviour as described by the OP'r , and requires advice after a few days or weeks of having the pup then although with the best intentions to any 'newbie' ! (although the OP is not a newbie as they stated they have had dogs before) then perhaps a Dog , or in this case a Gun dog , or for that matter a GSP is not the right choice for some ?..Sorry to be so 'Blunt' (honest) .
ps. magsnub, My picture of the spaniel enjoying time with me was rhetorical to your confused gsp pup :)
Someone posts a question and basically gets told that they shouldn't own a dog if they don't know the answer? Give me a break.

The guy has an overly crazy puppy and was looking for some quick/simple advice. Don't have any useful advice for the poster of a topic? Move along and find another topic to fulfill your need to see your written word on the internet.

OP: Another thing to consider is how you react. My dog, up until a week or so ago, would play rough with me as well. Only me and nobody else in the house. He would lay so nice next to my wife, I would sit down and he would come over to attack my ears or sweatshirt strings. My wife claims he did that because my reaction led him to think I was playing with him. I found that a combination of the lip fold, lower jaw grab, and ignore strategies worked the best. My young daughter used to be the victim of his craziness. When she was dancing or jumping he would run after her.....she would start screaming, flailing, and running around. This obviously made it worse lol! Same principle.

As for the running around...yup, my dog will all of a sudden break into a sprinting competition against himself. I consider that pretty normal and would actually be disappointed if he didn't. Not only is it great exercise but I believe it helps build coordination.

Good luck and stick with it. It will get better....I heard when GSPs turn 3 they really settle down lol!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun May 03, 2015 4:53 pm

luvthemud wrote: It will get better....I heard when GSPs turn 3 they really settle down lol!
LOL I love this. I was told something similar about working cockers... what a lie that was!

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Mon May 04, 2015 8:49 am

polmaise wrote:
Sure dude. :roll:

Throwing you on ignore, the signal to noise ratio is high enough without your gibberish.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Tue May 05, 2015 12:02 pm

K9, thanks for the link to your site. Excellent advice which I will share with my wife to use with our pup coming later this summer

KyleRay

Post by KyleRay » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:39 am

DELAYED UPDATE FROM OP:

Penny is doing well!
The original post was from our first week home where my inexperience with such a young pup and her puppy crazies mixed into a problem/wake up call.
In a lot of ways I didn't understand what getting a young pup was like, leading to being stressed out which led to overthinking and underdoing.

She is now about about 7 months old and we are working on making her versatile enough to walk down a city street on a loose leash without getting spooked in addition to her outdoor work.

We drove across the country and back with her on a vacation a few months ago and she was a champ.

Thanks for all the pertinent responses, I appreciate the information and will be referencing the forums again more regularly, we're entering those teenage years...
RiverTripTruckBedGDF.jpg
RiverTripSandFaceGDF.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.