be safe

jryan85

be safe

Post by jryan85 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:30 pm

My brother was in a motorcycle accident last night. Some a$$ thought face timing a friend was more important then watching the rode. The guy blew the red light just as my brother was crossing the intersection, he was able to lay it down just in time he slamed into the side of the car at about 30 mph. He is going to be alright but he has some internal bleeding a wrist that was destroyed and some pretty bad road rash. He will be down for a few months. If you ride be careful and wear your helmet if you dont ride be on the look out for motorcycles everyone be safe

mnaj_springer

Re: be safe

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon May 11, 2015 7:04 pm

I hope he gets well soon!

And everyone else, also look out for folks on bicycles and runners!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon May 11, 2015 7:26 pm

I saw two terrible motorcycle accidents, watching from my porch.... 5 lane road with an intersection across from my house.( One girl passenger was thrown 30+ feet . One guy's shoes were ejected 20 +feet.) I came close to turning in front of a motor cycle myself. I now have a red sticker near my gas gauge to remind me daily to look out for motorcycles. Trust your brother is well soon.

donne

Post by donne » Tue May 12, 2015 4:21 am

Hope your brother makes out alright. Motorcycles were fun, but there are just too many drivers out there who shouldn't be behind a wheel. I gave mine up years ago and have the road rash scars to remind me.

Those freakin smart phones are causing more accidents then they are worth!!!!! On 2 recent road trips I was the passenger and had the opportunity to observe other drivers on my side. Well over 50% were on their phone doing something. One car had 4 people in it, and they were ALL on their "smart" phones. I've seen a lot more rear ending accidents recently. I wonder how they happen.

People; PLEASE, turn off that stinkin phone!!!!! NOTHING (including YOU) is that important!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue May 12, 2015 7:39 am

Murdercycles. You really have to ride defensively assuming no one sees you which they sub conciously don't. Then, no matter what you do, some jerk blows a red light. Not much you can do about that.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Tue May 12, 2015 7:59 am

Hope your brother makes a speedy recovery.

I ride a Harley low rider myself. I ride on very rural roads but I know there's still risks. It's simply too much fun and too ingrained in me to stop!

Cell phone violations ought to incur the exact consequences that DUIs do. It's just ridiculous on the roads these days.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 12, 2015 3:08 pm

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed May 13, 2015 4:31 pm

I have never ridden on a motorcycle. Never will. I am afraid of them and I am afraid for the folks that ride them. I am also afraid OF a few of the folks that ride them. I have seen some real hotshots riding bikes. Most folks are fine, but there is always one that wants to thread their way through traffic at 60+ mph. Same with cars I guess, but I just don't want to be the one that puts the dude on a morgue slab. Every few weeks some genius comes blowing down the state highway in front of my property, with their front wheel in the air. Some folks just gotta push the envelope I guess.

For me they are just too dangerous. Especially in the Northeast with all the traffic and lousy roads we have here. No matter who screws up, the person on the bike is the one in trouble because there is no protection, nothing between you and the pavement or the other vehicle besides a helmet and some clothing. Lost a nephew, lost a cousin, had a friend lose a leg below the knee. another nephew(recently) with multiple fractures to the spine....

I actually avoid driving behind motorcycles and give them all the room I can because I don't want to be anywhere around if that bike drops, blow a tire, pops a link on their drivetrain...whatever.

RayG

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu May 14, 2015 9:29 am

I rode up until about a year and a half ago. Always enjoyed my Harley but finally decided it was time to hang it up. Then on May 23, 2014 my very best friend lost his life on his bike. A young girl pulled out in front of him and that was all she wrote. If I hadn't quit riding by that time I surely would have. For those that still ride, be safe.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu May 14, 2015 12:19 pm

Being told that you're going to die is just part of being a biker.

You can quote stats all you'd like but I'll choose riding on two wheels any day over climbing into one of those silly flying machines!