Kennel planning

kansas86

Kennel planning

Post by kansas86 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:26 am

Hello, I am new to the board, I joined because we are planning on building a kennel this fall and need some ideas! We are not gundog folks, we actually have border collies. A lot of the border collie people have gone to portable kennels with hog flooring. However, what we want to do is concrete runs. I have done some research on the internet but would like some ideas from those with practical experience.

The plan is to build a garage/shop for working on tractors and storage. The runs will be down one or both sides under a lean to. There will probably be a couple of runs that open into a room in the building for puppies/infirmary. The other runs will probably just be outdoor runs with a dog house. The runs will be for housing with the dogs out most days for work/exercise. These are all just beginning ideas to be tweeked as we learn more.

Thanks in advance!

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Kennel planning

Post by PntrRookie » Mon May 18, 2015 8:56 am

Here's a start...

1. Face the kennels to the south to gain the most sun exposure - Sun helps dry kennels
2. Concrete runs
3. Pitch concrete 1"/4' (min.) from building to end of kennels
4. Trough at end of runs, outside the kennels. Perpendicular to the runs to wash waste out.
5. IMO do not put concrete "seams" anywhere that excrement can settle. Hard to get pee out and begins to smell. Keep surface solid and only with a LITE brush texture.
6. If possible run a water/hydrant line outside
7. If possible add lights/elect. outlet to outside for night time work/cleaning
8. Elevate dog house/barrels for easier cleaning

Lot's of nice ideas online...

kansas86

Re: Kennel planning

Post by kansas86 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:52 pm

Thank you for all the ideas!

The runs will be east facing due to the positioning of the driveway. We plan to have a leanto roof over them, any thoughts on that?

Thanks!