Shadow Oak Bo offsping

Kellym

Shadow Oak Bo offsping

Post by Kellym » Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 pm

We all know Bo that 2 time national champ setter. I have seen pups for sale from him but my question is....... Does he reproduce himself. IMO there are a lot of great bird dogs out there that just dont reproduce great dogs. In the setter world we have seen some dogs that show up in a lot of pedigrees because they were not just champions they reproduced champions. Sunrise, Performer, Mosely, Grouse Ridge, to name a few, and I could go on. SO will we start seeing Bo in many pedigrees of champions to come? Does anyone have experience hunting or trialing with a Bo offspring?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Shadow Oak Bo offsping

Post by DonF » Tue May 19, 2015 8:59 am

Kellym wrote:We all know Bo that 2 time national champ setter. I have seen pups for sale from him but my question is....... Does he reproduce himself. IMO there are a lot of great bird dogs out there that just don't reproduce great dogs. In the setter world we have seen some dogs that show up in a lot of pedigrees because they were not just champions they reproduced champions. Sunrise, Performer, Mosely, Grouse Ridge, to name a few, and I could go on. SO will we start seeing Bo in many pedigrees of champions to come? Does anyone have experience hunting or trialing with a Bo offspring?
Shame on you! Your not supposed to ask question's like that! lol I have seen several Bo pup's and to me, they look just like E. Setter's!

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Tue May 19, 2015 9:22 am

LOL.. Well I just put a deposit on a pup from him. I guess time will tell! Thought maybe I could hear some great things about some of his pups!

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue May 19, 2015 10:32 am

I am a pointer man and a small time weekend foot trialer. I have seen four or five Shadow Oak Bo pups. I thought they looked tremendous. I would not mind trying one although I have never paid four figures for a puppy.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue May 19, 2015 4:38 pm

You'll probably get a good pup out of him. Just don't look for a wonder dog. After all, he is just a dog that took and maintained his training well.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat May 23, 2015 6:55 am

DonF wrote:You'll probably get a good pup out of him. Just don't look for a wonder dog. After all, he is just a dog that took and maintained his training well.

I've never seen Bo go, but I have to assume it was more than training..... I have seen several of the dogs he best out TWICE(!) and I can assure you it took more than training to win.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:10 pm

DonF wrote:You'll probably get a good pup out of him. Just don't look for a wonder dog. After all, he is just a dog that took and maintained his training well.
I've sat in the saddle and seen Bo in workouts and trials. To say 'he is just a dog that took and maintained his training' is a great disservice. No amount of training can make you win OAA CHs from Saskatchewan to FL (OAA wild bird trials). In regards to bird finding, he's the best i've seen. It don't matter the country, the weather or the conditions, birds are always moving when he's on the ground. Now it will be interesting to see if any of his offspring win on the OAA circuit, not every dog can re-produce themselves, but Bo was a late bloomer.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Tue May 26, 2015 4:02 pm

I must agree. It takes much more than good training. I have some great dogs (don't we all), but they aren't good just because of the trainng. I don't trial but the only way we know good breeding is to see it for ourselves or have wins and championships to prove it. This pup will go to Ronnie Smith to be trained. she will go at 5mo for some puppy work then go back again at 1 yr. Her breeding looks really good. She is a daughter of Bo and a Grand daughter of a 17x NSTRA CH and Purina Dog of the year. IF Bo will reproduce himself she should be a top notch bird dog.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue May 26, 2015 5:09 pm

I find find this concept interesting. Sometimes I want to ask, is it really all on Bo's shoulders to reproduce himself? If people are seeing mediocre dogs sired by Bo, you're more likely to hear about that than almost any other sire who is producing mediocre offspring. Why? Because he is Bo. He's being bred to a plethora of bitches. Great dog bred to a substandard bitch is not something I find exciting. I'd almost see two really good dogs bred. I'm not trying to imply this is the case for your particular litter, just a generally statement regarding grading Bo's production quality overall.
Parting thought, sometimes we have the anomaly. A dog who is spectacular, and who's cards all fell in place, but can't produce better than himself. Again, not saying this is the case, just food for thought.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue May 26, 2015 6:30 pm

Bo has produced some winners, I don't think any champions yet.

He is the result of a concentrated effort; breeding, training, and handling to accomplish just what he has. I watched him, Lady Salina, and Tobby from wee pups. In fact, I was at the Brittany trial when his litter was bred.

John Rec Gates, Robin Gates, and Buddy Smith are continuing to apply their considerable skills to see the next winner.

I don't think of him as a late bloomer as much as it took sometime for him to transition. He was a stellar performer in trading from puppyhood. It was all part of the plan.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Wed May 27, 2015 7:41 am

KwikIrish wrote:I find find this concept interesting. Sometimes I want to ask, is it really all on Bo's shoulders to reproduce himself? If people are seeing mediocre dogs sired by Bo, you're more likely to hear about that than almost any other sire who is producing mediocre offspring. Why? Because he is Bo. He's being bred to a plethora of bitches. Great dog bred to a substandard bitch is not something I find exciting. I'd almost see two really good dogs bred. I'm not trying to imply this is the case for your particular litter, just a generally statement regarding grading Bo's production quality overall.
Parting thought, sometimes we have the anomaly. A dog who is spectacular, and who's cards all fell in place, but can't produce better than himself. Again, not saying this is the case, just food for thought.
I agree with this statement. You can't expect a great dog if you breed a great dog to a mediocore dog. You can reproduce the bad just as easy as you can reproduce the good. But unfortunatley you can sometimes take two great dogs and breed them and not get great puppies. That said your chances are much better to match great to great. However some great dogs just don't reproduce great dogs. Time will tell with my pup. She comes from two great dogs with with lots of wins and champions in the pedigree. She will be socialized, puppy deveoloped, and trained and given every chance to be a great dog.

So I totally agree with you and thats exaclty why I started this post. Bo is obviously a phenomenal speciman, and Im sure he as been bred to some really nice females but what are the results of some of these matches?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed May 27, 2015 10:04 am

A call to American Field will get you three numbers; the dog's wins, the number of offspring with wins, the total wins of the offspring. Know they will also tell you the number of championships the dog has won, don't know if the will tell you the number of offspring championships.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Wed May 27, 2015 12:26 pm

Neil wrote:A call to American Field will get you three numbers; the dog's wins, the number of offspring with wins, the total wins of the offspring. Know they will also tell you the number of championships the dog has won, don't know if the will tell you the number of offspring championships.
I have the numbers from his pedigree with wins. It doesn't tell you champions. It will tell you there have been 149 wins in his offspring, I'm more interested in hearing from those that have seen or worked with his offspring that can give an opinion.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed May 27, 2015 6:40 pm

You do understand those numbers are only good on the date of issue. American Field will give more current numbers. What was the number of winners on the pedigree. All those numbers are so dependent on the number of litters that some consider them less important.

You might consider going to Ross's thefieldtrialer.com site to ask who as seen his offspring. Do a Google.
Last edited by Neil on Wed May 27, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed May 27, 2015 6:45 pm