navhda upt

natel24

navhda upt

Post by natel24 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:31 pm

I am currently training my pup to get ready for his navhda upt test. By reading the navhda book it seems like the UT test isnt that much different. Are the dogs just held to a stricter standard on the ut test?

aulrich

Re: navhda upt

Post by aulrich » Tue May 26, 2015 1:20 pm

Pretty much,

Steady to flush vs steady to release
retrieve to 1 step vs to hand
Dead duck vs live duck in the search
drag is not as long
and more distractions at the water work

Are the hi lights of the top of my head.

Folks in our club say, if you honestly think you are a utp prize one you should just run UT, you will still prize if your dog performs. but you will need to be a dependable prize 1.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Tue May 26, 2015 11:41 pm

I was going to run the UPT last year, but every person I talked with recommended skipping UPT and going straight to UT. The test isn't that different and if your dog has a stellar day and comes away with a prize 1 it counts for something. I was more concerned with my level of handling, but a clinic with a couple of NAVHDA judges showed us the ins and outs of handling. One of the biggest things I learned was if you have to give a command, make it count.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:59 am

I saw many people recommend skipping the UPT also. But I didn't really want to fail the UT test. I don't know but in my opinion a failed UPT at an early age is less damaging than a failed UT on the dog's pedigree.... idk thats just me i guess. I also wanted to go to the test and see a couple UT runs and run the UPT to see what I needed to work on. For a pudelpointer the UPT means nothing but I wanted the learning experience for myself as the handler and also my dog. So I took the UPT in the spring, learned what I needed to work on and came back in the fall and passed the UT at 17months (the youngest pass in PPs for 2014).

Would I do the UPT again? I doubt it because now I have been through the UT and UPT both. I will say though it was a great learning experience for a first timer.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Wed May 27, 2015 8:40 pm

Well said, the UPT is a great idea for the first time handler, and gives a good opportunity for a dress rehearsal for the UT. I have done it with and without UPT for different dogs, but was glad to have done it 'with' for my first one. It mattered more to me than to the dog (because I needed the handler experience). Good luck with your pup and remember to have fun.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu May 28, 2015 10:25 am

The stress and cost are about the same. I just run UT. If a dog doesn't get the score we're looking for, we test again. Besides, might get a PI on the first go...would stick to get that in UPT then somehow have a bad day at UT and not PI. It happens.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu May 28, 2015 12:00 pm

marysburg wrote:Well said, the UPT is a great idea for the first time handler, and gives a good opportunity for a dress rehearsal for the UT. I have done it with and without UPT for different dogs, but was glad to have done it 'with' for my first one. It mattered more to me than to the dog (because I needed the handler experience). Good luck with your pup and remember to have fun.
+1 If your more comfortable running the UPT, run it.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Thu May 28, 2015 11:28 pm

As a novice handler I was not at all comfortable running the UT. But I signed up and worked like crazy. When we pulled off the coveted prize one I was more than happy that I had stepped out of my comfort zone. We only have one test a year up here, if we had more I may have been more inclined to start with UPT. On the other hand, at $325. A pop, might as well test at the highest level. You can learn handling skills in either and since you don't run braces at that level no chance of hurting another dogs chances. The thing that helped me most was a clinic with Tom Sweezy and Ken Horner that focused on handling. Saved me from a lot of mistakes and showed me our week links so we could correct before the test. Whatever you decide, expect a fun weekend and lots of learning. The judges are your friends and want you to succeed.

Gooseman07

navhda upt

Post by Gooseman07 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:58 am

I don't have the rule book in front of me but I think it's 1 step on the retrieve in both tests.

I stepped up with my first dog and ran UT. We got a Prize 1 the first go and then went on to the IT the following year. We didn't pass that but I'm very glad for the experience. I plan to make it back there in the future.

natel24

Post by natel24 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks all for the advice. I am a novice handler, at best, so I think I am going to stick with the upt test. My dog will only be 18 months at the time of the test so I still have plenty of time to do the ut test next year. The biggest problem I have is I train by myself since everyone else I know pretty much gave up on bird hunting and bird dogs years ago. there's not really a navhda chapter near by for me to go train with, I have two young kids and my wife works full time including every other weekend. So we do what we can with the time we find and hope for the best.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:59 am

natel24 wrote:Thanks all for the advice. I am a novice handler, at best, so I think I am going to stick with the upt test. My dog will only be 18 months at the time of the test so I still have plenty of time to do the ut test next year. The biggest problem I have is I train by myself since everyone else I know pretty much gave up on bird hunting and bird dogs years ago. there's not really a navhda chapter near by for me to go train with, I have two young kids and my wife works full time including every other weekend. So we do what we can with the time we find and hope for the best.
If you have time to train for UPT, you have time to train for UT (conversely, if time is limited, it might be better to hold off on either). You won't get the best out of a test if you don't have the time to properly train a dog and practice scenarios. That's all I'm saying. But it sounds like what you need is more hands-on help. A handler's clinic would be a huge benefit. Where's your nearest NAVHDA chapter?

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:59 am

Nate, A few weeks ago litter mate to Gibby ran AKC SH. Different venue but I'm thinking the scenario is very similar. Jade's owner called Howie and said he was going to enter SH. Jade' owner is inexperienced handler himself. Howie at first said why not hold off and run MH since Jade was almost ready for MH. After talking awhile with Nick Howie agreed, run Jade SH and gain experience as a handler. Jade was entered in 4 SH's in one weekend. Jade and Nick came home with 3 ribbon out of 4. Handler mistake cost them the forth pass. What this did was build confidence in Nick as a handler and he learned a lot . IF Nick would have entered MH , crashed and burned going 0 for 4 Nicks confidence level could have been destroyed and not run another test. IMO Nick made the right choices for himself.
GOOD LUCK :)

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:01 am

Northern Illinois NAVHDA trains at Bong State Recreation area in Kansasville, WI. Our next training day is June 20. Come on out.