Dew Claws

Kellym

Dew Claws

Post by Kellym » Wed May 27, 2015 7:28 am

I was talking to a breeder that says he will not remove dew claws from puppies. He says hes never had a problem with dew claws. I have had dogs and have hunted with others that have dogs that still have dew claws. Its very common to see the dew claw get really raw and irritated. I have never experienced an issure from removing dew claws from puppies. This breeder was saying that removing them is harmful. It somehow affects the dogs leg or foot, I can't remember what the actual proplem he stated, and according to him should not be removed. What issues have you had or know of from removing puppies dew claw? Im not talking about removing them after they are older but removing them when a pup is 3-5 days old

markj
GDF Junkie

Re: Dew Claws

Post by markj » Wed May 27, 2015 7:39 am

Never had an issue removing them. Use a vet and ensure no issues if you are worried about it. Bleeding is the only thing I can see might be a problem. Use steptic powder bought from any barber supply store to stop the bleeding. Look to another breeder if you wish to have dews removed cause after 5 days it is hard on the pup as the bones harden.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Wed May 27, 2015 7:47 am

markj wrote:Never had an issue removing them. Use a vet and ensure no issues if you are worried about it. Bleeding is the only thing I can see might be a problem. Use steptic powder bought from any barber supply store to stop the bleeding. Look to another breeder if you wish to have dews removed cause after 5 days it is hard on the pup as the bones harden.
Mark
I am not buyin from this breeder. It is my opionion that the dew claws should be removed. Just wantint to know if im missing something. I have had a friend have them surgically removed from an older dog. It took a long time to heal as he couldn't keep the dog from chewing out the stitches but hasn't had any problems since. However he says he will never do it again just because of the constant care because she wouldn't leave the incisions alone.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 27, 2015 7:57 am

I have always removed them, if nothing else it makes the dog look cleaner. I have never seen them cause a problem but haven't seen them that often. have heard that if they get torn, it can be pretty ugly. I would continue to remove them and wouldn't buy a pup that had them.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 27, 2015 3:28 pm

Arguments for both decisions. Some say the dew claw stabilizes the foot when running. Makes sense to me so I don't remove them. Never had to deal with a torn dew claw.

http://youtu.be/r4xflsmek-k
Last edited by Sharon on Wed May 27, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed May 27, 2015 3:33 pm

I have them removed. Never heard an argument to the contrary.... I'll do some research...

I suppose some animal rights groups might consider it unnecessary mutilation... like clipping ears on some breeds or cutting the tails when the pups are young.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed May 27, 2015 4:06 pm

Way I see it, it was first done for a reason like docking the tails. Why find out the hard way why it was first done? Why re invent the wheel? I see no reason not to do it, I can see reasons for it. Out in the field, the dog tears it off, what you going to do then? Pull a vet out of the pocket? It will need surgery to repair, anti biotics to keep it from infection. Might even need cauterizing to stop the bleeding. Why chance it at all?

If you plan on keeping the pups, do with them as you wish, but if you are selling them, stick with the standards. If a customer can claim the non removale killed their dog, why the lawyers may be all over it smelling dollars as they do. and most folks are just looking for a reason to sue someone and get rich quick.

Deets

Post by Deets » Wed May 27, 2015 5:53 pm

I have a 6 yr old EP with dew claws. I have never had an injury in the field. They do get in the way of Lewis dog boots though.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed May 27, 2015 5:59 pm

I personally think it is much ado about nothing...or almost nothing. About the only argument I ever heard in favor of keeping dewclaws was that it provided a bit more gripping when a dog was climbing and such. The only real argument I have heard for removing dewclaws is that they do not wear down as the other claws do and require clipping much more often. Neither argument is a big deal to me.

I have had dogs with dews left intact and with them removed. No difference that I could see in the performance of the dogs. In over fifty years of messing with bird dogs I had exactly one dew claw injury, and to be honest, It was probably at least partly because I did not keep it clipped. It was very long and it got hung up on something and ripped. Yes it was a mess and the dog was laid up for about three weeks, during which time it chewed the bandages off quite a few times. A PIA for sure but only the one time.

If you keep the toenails clipped fairly close, including the dewclaws, there is not much chance it will get hung up on something, at least that is what I have found. The only other toenail injury my dogs experienced was one dog, one time, got a back toenail hung up in between the tailgate and vehicle,. That was a bloody mess too.

Clipping the dewclaws off when the pups are young is also not completely without risk, as I understand it. If you cut too deeply, you could lame the dog...permanently. Not deeply enough and there may still be something on the dog's leg to get injured.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I will say this... if it is common for the breed, or if it was part of the written standard for the breed and the breeder does not do it, I would ask why and expect a good reason, especially if I was paying top dollar to an established breeder.

RayG

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed May 27, 2015 7:13 pm

Dr. Christine Zink has some opinions
http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5 ... nation.pdf

This article has some comments too. It's an interesting read beyond the dewclaw thing.
http://pennvetwdc.org/wp-content/upload ... 9-Zink.pdf

I have dogs with and without. Interestingly, two with dewclaws have carpal problems, one severe.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 am

This is one of those with no right or wrong answer. I keep my dew claws on all my pups. My dogs have their dews as well. I hae had zero issues with the claws and I hunt 3-4 days a week during hunting season. I think they key is to keep them high and tight. Keep them cleanly clipped.
There is actually a video on youtube about how goldens use the dew claws to get out of an icy pont that they fell into. We have a lot of ice here in the winter, so, it may come in handy sometime.........who kknows.

As for getting in the way of boots. I use Mountain ridge sled dog boots. I order them higher then the claw. No problem.

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri May 29, 2015 8:20 am

I think its naïve to believe that dew claws have no function, dogs body parts are all there for a reason.

I've had at least 40 bird dogs in the last 50 years and a few beagles and also some just plain pets that were mutts.... probably half of them had dew claws none ever had a problem.

I know for a fact they use them to climb and grip things... I've watch hounds climb trees with them and felt the pain of them dig in my legs when pups with dew claws tried to climb me :D

Docking tails makes sense to me if you hunt the woods but dew claws should be left intact IMO.

SCT

Post by SCT » Fri May 29, 2015 12:37 pm

If it were going to be used as a water dog I'd leave them attached, otherwise no. I've seen where a dog can climb out of a frozen body of water after breaking through the ice with his dew claws attached.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri May 29, 2015 1:29 pm

I had always left them and no problem- after dealing with a lab that tore one 8 years ago- I have had them all removed since.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:12 pm

UglyD wrote:I had always left them and no problem- after dealing with a lab that tore one 8 years ago- I have had them all removed since.
I don'ytthink there would be much discussion about removing them if you have seen the results of having one tore when the dog is mature. Extremely painful and debilitating for the dog. Doesn't happen often but there is no good reason for taking the chance.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun May 31, 2015 10:42 pm

Dr. Zink is the only one who has ever said anything about dew claws. Because she is a writer for several dog magazines her opinion was widely publicized. Based on the content of many of her other articles in said magazines that I have read I do not hold her opinion to have much merit.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun May 31, 2015 10:43 pm

SCT wrote:If it were going to be used as a water dog I'd leave them attached, otherwise no. I've seen where a dog can climb out of a frozen body of water after breaking through the ice with his dew claws attached.
I hunted my dogs in the ice regularly. None of them had dew claws. All of them got in and out every time.