Training Vizsla pup, questions re: pedigree

RaiderZach

Training Vizsla pup, questions re: pedigree

Post by RaiderZach » Sat May 30, 2015 7:59 am

I didn't intend to get into this new hobby, I bought a Vizsla after researching them as a running partner the last couple years. However, I kept seeing my pup in the back yard pointing at birds on the fence and thought it just wasn't right he would never hunt! A trip to Cabela's and a 870 purchase later and I'm waist deep in information trying to figure out what to do next.

I have hired a professional trainer after reaching out to the local NAVHDA chapter and getting a reccomendation (and yes I registered my dog with the NAVHDA as well). My trainer will evaulate him next week, but really feels with Vizslas its better to wait till they are 7/8 months old before he'll start the program. In the mean time, is there anything (reading or otherwise) you guys can suggest so I just get a feel for the sport? I have no idea what gear I need, where to train my dog, etc. Is there any cause for concern that my dog does not come from a long line of field champions? I read one thread and had me thinking I may be wasting my time with a dog not from a proven line of hunters, I sure hope that's not true!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Training Vizsla pup, questions re: pedigree

Post by shags » Sat May 30, 2015 9:34 am

Find out if your local NAVHDA chapter is having a training day or testing day coming up, and go observe. You can go to AKC.org and search for hunt tests in your area and go take a look at them too. Don't wait too long, the field activities season is quickly coming to an end for many areas, but they'll rev back up in the fall. While you're at the AKC site, look for a local Vizsla club, where you'll likely find folks involved in all kinds of field activities. Maybe your breeder can refer you to a club.

That's a nice looking pup, good for you for making the effort to help him do what bird dogs should do.

bwire

Post by bwire » Sat May 30, 2015 1:09 pm

If your pup is showing interest in birds then I think you and your trainer should make out OK. Shags gave you good advice on NAVHDA, AKC and a vizsla club. Where are you located? Where have you been running with your dog? If you can, get him out to fields, woods, streams and other places that you would go hunting. Expose him to different areas, people and cover if you can. Keep is short and fun. Good luck!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat May 30, 2015 2:23 pm

No need to wait, training starts from day1. Each individual dog will dictate how much pressure it can take but there are many things that can be worked on without "professional" help. Where did you get your V from?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat May 30, 2015 2:30 pm

[quote="RaiderZach"].

.............................. Is there any cause for concern that my dog does not come from a long line of field champions? I read one thread and had me thinking I may be wasting my time with a dog not from a proven line of hunters, I sure hope that's not true!

Welcome to the forum.

Breeding can make a huge difference in pup's ability BUT many a fine hunting dog did not come from a proven background. I had a runt once that no one wanted from the litter. I kept her and she became open walking derby dog of the year for our Region. You never know for sure. :) )

concilion

Post by concilion » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:27 am

Make sure your trainer has experience with vizslas. The sooner you get that pup on birds the better. Not sure why your trainer wants to wait until 7/8 months.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:54 am

concilion wrote:Make sure your trainer has experience with vizslas. The sooner you get that pup on birds the better. Not sure why your trainer wants to wait until 7/8 months.
Probably because he is already booked up for the summer tuning up his existing client's dogs before bird season!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:29 am

concilion wrote:Make sure your trainer has experience with vizslas. The sooner you get that pup on birds the better. Not sure why your trainer wants to wait until 7/8 months.

Could be because that is the normal age that a dog should start formal training and you get a lot more for your money if you are paying a trainer.