Question for you Raw feeders?

SCT

Question for you Raw feeders?

Post by SCT » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:24 am

I feed raw (chicken necks) 2-3 times a week and notice that later that night or the next day after feeding the raw meat, my dogs are more hungry! Either the Raw meat kicks their metabolism up a notch or it doesn't satisfy their hunger. My guess is it kicks their metabolism up. Anyone else notice this? I especially see it in my puppy!

Thanks, Steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Question for you Raw feeders?

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:19 am

Nature has given animals the ability to eat what they need. The chicken necks are largely bones which provides calcium and phosphorus with a small amount of protein from the meat. There is no where near the calories that they are getting the other days and that will affect the pup more than the older dogs. This leaves them hungry the next day which isn't hurting them if they are maintaining their weight.

Ezzy

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:37 am

Are they still getting their regular ration in addition to the chicken necks? I would agree with Ezzy that the necks are not providing much protein, fat or calories. I would have a hard time believing that the necks are kicking up their metabolism.

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:50 am

These chicken necks are bone, meat, skin, and fat. The pup gets 3 meals a day and the chicken necks are additional, where the chicken necks replace the meals of the older dogs. Pup is 14 weeks old. He is much more hungry after the raw meal which I give him between his mid day meal and late night meal. Trust me, he has plenty to eat and usually doesn't eat much of his late meal. But, after the raw meal is in him for a few hours, he eats his late meal like he hasn't eaten all day.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:13 pm

So explain how the chicken necks would affect metabolism? I think way too many people look at feed as something that shows up immediately in condition or energy and even how the body works. It can effect a dog in many ways but it takes time and in most cases an exteme change in diet to be seen by the naked eye. There are way too many variable to be able to say it is one certain thing but I can not believe that feeding additional food would make the pup hungrier.

You say you are still feeding 3 times a day and the pup doesn't clean the 3rd feeding up. When are you planning on dropping the 3rd feeding?

Ezzy

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:44 pm

I can't explain it, just what I observed. When his growing slows down I will switch to two meals a day, or 1 meal a day. Likely 5-6 months. He's 14 weeks old and 25 lbs with ribs showing! Don't worry Ezzy, I've raised lots of pups, never had a problem. Just thought it was interesting that the raw meat piqued his hunger. It's okay if you don't believe it.

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:51 pm

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word metabolism, I know it takes about two weeks change my own metabolism through exercise!

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:52 pm

When I fed raw I never used necks. Not enough meat in my opinion. I would be curious if the dog acts the same if you would try a full quarter.

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:09 pm

Haven't tried a quarter but the bones are a bit large for him at 14 weeks old. Sometimes I add meat to the necks. I added about 1/2 pound of bear meat the other day and he still ate a bunch of kibble a few hours later. He is actually eating bigger meals in the evening consistently so I'm cutting out the morning meal!

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:01 am

SCT wrote:Haven't tried a quarter but the bones are a bit large for him at 14 weeks old. Sometimes I add meat to the necks. I added about 1/2 pound of bear meat the other day and he still ate a bunch of kibble a few hours later. He is actually eating bigger meals in the evening consistently so I'm cutting out the morning meal!

I agree, a leg bone would probably be a bit much for those little puppy teeth to tackle.

Could it be something as simple as: he just loves the taste of the RAW meal so much that he is just craving it? Plus a puppy could find it fun and entertaining. You might b disappointing him when giving him the kibble, but hey...he will eat it anyway? Just a thought. My dog went absolutely crazy over his raw food. He would eat until he exploded if it were up to him.

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:02 am

Yeah, he will eat it with great anticipation, all of them will. However, I haven't asked him if he's disappointed when I give him the kibble. He just gobbles it up :D All my dogs love the raw food, but I trust the kibble is more well balanced and the raw I feed is mostly just a supplement I give them because I believe it's good for them. Their stools look as if they use (metabolize) more of the raw, than the kibble. I'm sure that statement could spark an argument though :lol: Wouldn't want to do that!!!

Steve

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:46 pm

SCT wrote:Yeah, he will eat it with great anticipation, all of them will. However, I haven't asked him if he's disappointed when I give him the kibble. He just gobbles it up :D All my dogs love the raw food, but I trust the kibble is more well balanced and the raw I feed is mostly just a supplement I give them because I believe it's good for them. Their stools look as if they use (metabolize) more of the raw, than the kibble. I'm sure that statement could spark an argument though :lol: Wouldn't want to do that!!!

Steve
One of the things I loved about the RAW diet was the stools....or lack thereof. Wrong or not, it also made me feel as more of the food was being "used" and not sent out the garbage chute.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:37 pm

I worried that one of my dogs might be allergic to being fed RAW.....it scared the bejeebers out of me.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:53 pm

SCT wrote:I feed raw (chicken necks) 2-3 times a week and notice that later that night or the next day after feeding the raw meat, my dogs are more hungry! Either the Raw meat kicks their metabolism up a notch or it doesn't satisfy their hunger. My guess is it kicks their metabolism up. Anyone else notice this? I especially see it in my puppy!

Thanks, Steve
Really ?
Your observations are encouraging with your puppy.
Cast your eyes on the part of raw feeding in this clip .
https://vimeo.com/73448924

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:52 pm

polmaise wrote:
SCT wrote:I feed raw (chicken necks) 2-3 times a week and notice that later that night or the next day after feeding the raw meat, my dogs are more hungry! Either the Raw meat kicks their metabolism up a notch or it doesn't satisfy their hunger. My guess is it kicks their metabolism up. Anyone else notice this? I especially see it in my puppy!

Thanks, Steve
Really ?
What a wonderful video and such a wonderful breed of dogs. It's a travesty they aren't able to work them on wild fox any longer. Really a great showing of the care they take of their charges. I would think they must feed them more bone and such to balance out all that meat. I especially like how they've bred the aggression out of them. That's one reason I picked the line of pointers I have. I can drop a pile of raw meat in front of them and you'll never hear a growl or see and thoughts of aggression. Thanks for posting!

Steve

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:07 am

SCT wrote:
polmaise wrote:

Thanks, Steve
Really ?
What a wonderful video and such a wonderful breed of dogs. It's a travesty they aren't able to work them on wild fox any longer. Really a great showing of the care they take of their charges. I would think they must feed them more bone and such to balance out all that meat. I especially like how they've bred the aggression out of them. That's one reason I picked the line of pointers I have. I can drop a pile of raw meat in front of them and you'll never hear a growl or see and thoughts of aggression. Thanks for posting!

Steve
for some reason my computer keeps stalling about halfway through, but from what I watched...yes, very neat video.

If I understand correctly, there is no more fox hunting at all??? What a shame. Takes a lot of dedication to stay the course when the game that you are training for is off limits to hunt. If I remember correctly he said that during the fall, they get 10- 11 miles of running a day. Pretty impressive.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:26 pm

polmaise wrote:

Thanks, Steve
Really ?

Really enjoyed that video. Thanks.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:26 am

SCT wrote:
polmaise wrote:

Thanks, Steve
Really ?

Steve
Yes that was great to watch! Interesting re lines of pointers. Definitely something I'd like for the next one, along with as little watchdog type alert barking as possible. (Quite happy with my current one, too, I should say.)

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:49 am

Actually those were foxhounds in the video. Sort of similar in appearance to our pointers, but a completely different breed, except for the fact that the pointer breed has foxhounds in their ancestry!

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:14 pm

SCT wrote:Actually those were foxhounds in the video. Sort of similar in appearance to our pointers, but a completely different breed, except for the fact that the pointer breed has foxhounds in their ancestry!
I have lousy sentence structure, sorry! :D I meant your remark about choosing a line of pointers with no aggression was interesting to me in the specific context of my looking for a second pointer sometime over the next few years.

I definitely saw a little hound in my current pointer when he was younger, though. He is doing better checking back in now. :D

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Oh, okay! Yeah, I won't own an aggressive dog! But, I am surprised how many people will tolerate it in their BIRD dogs, and some are even proud of it :? But, that's just me!