fox 40 electronic whistle

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

fox 40 electronic whistle

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:47 am

Are these whistles just a gimmick or do they work well when training gundogs ? If they work well then I have a use for one.

Bill T.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: fox 40 electronic whistle

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:03 pm

I reckon there could be a narrow niche for an electric dog whistle but :D ...what a world.
Marketers looking for a target...never stops.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks, to go by the response to this question these whistles are totally underwhelming ! :lol:

Bill T.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:22 pm

Bill, would the electronic Fox-40 have been for use with your upcoming hupper? Can say without doubt that the regular Fox-40 would probably hup him or her as if by hurricane force in the next shire.

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:52 pm

Wullie, They have no design feature in them to be cut in half , then super glued together with a false bottom filled with Whisky ?..Any way...It would be beyond your reach :lol:

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:45 pm

Trekmoor wrote:Are these whistles just a gimmick or do they work well when training gundogs ? If they work well then I have a use for one.

Bill T.
I just bought one yesterday to use for teaching whistle commands since it leaves the mouth free. I'll let you know when it gets here.

What I do know about them is that they are large and battery operated. The 3 tone selector is set and forget because it isn't easily and reliably switched mid operation. The other 2 tones are more sports sounds anyways. However, they're loud, consistent, and offer one button operation.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Thanks for the replies lads.
MG. when I work spaniels with "serious intent" the whistle spends most of it's time in my mouth ! I seldom relax when a spaniel is hunting. I'd thought of using the electronic whistle when hunting my Brittany . It takes me all my time and all my breath just to keep up with her on a moor.... I hardly have enough puff left to blow a whistle ! :roll: It occurred to me that an electric whistle could maybe be held by a loop over wrist ready for use or perhaps could be sticky taped to my shotgun ready for use....a bit like an on the stock cartridge holder ?

Last season I hunted a snipe moor a few times with Libby and enjoyed it except for my lack of breath . On an "easy" moor like that one is the Brittany is often 3-400 yards out from me ...... I find myself hoping she does NOT come onto point away out there !
This year I have another bit of land to hunt over, it has snipe, hares, woodcock, pheasants and ducks galore. It is not as hilly as the snipe moor but it's many acres of very rough thick grasses makes walking it another hunt where I should have an oxygen tank carrier with me ! :roll: Anyway my thought was to use an electronic whistle when shooting over the Brittany.

Yes Robert, I'm still trying in vain to find the gundog enthusiasts holy grail ..... a magic whistle that dogs always obey ! :lol: So far I have modified Acme whistles to change the tone and have made whistles from wood, plastic, horn, bone and metal.....my dogs still don't seem to think they are "magic whistles " though ! :lol:

By what I have read about this electronic whistle it is too large for easy carrying.
For a number of years I have thought about writing to the Acme company to suggest they might add a new whistle to their range. I quite like the various frequencies possible using an Acme "silent" whistle but I do not like the metal whistles themselves. They are a bit too heavy to be easily held in the mouth when hunting a spaniel.....although it would help if I had a few more teeth ! I wondered if Acme could make a very similar whistle in plastic ? If it worked well it might become very popular with this countries spaniel trailers.

Whistles always have been of interest to me and yet I know it is the trainer that trains the dog and not the whistle used. I've got about 7 months to think about it before my springer pup is delivered to me.......by then it should be ready for the Championships never mind for just picking up. :lol:

Bill T.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:12 pm

For me, they would be a horrible idea. I want my hands as free as possible and don't want to fumble for a whistle, have to take my hands off another training tool, to find a whistle to push a button on. I like having the whistle in my mouth all day and hands free. Sounds like a really horrible idea for me, or at least for my style of training.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:03 am

Trekmoor wrote: For a number of years I have thought about writing to the Acme company to suggest they might add a new whistle to their range. I quite like the various frequencies possible using an Acme "silent" whistle but I do not like the metal whistles themselves. They are a bit too heavy to be easily held in the mouth when hunting a spaniel.....although it would help if I had a few more teeth ! I wondered if Acme could make a very similar whistle in plastic ? If it worked well it might become very popular with this countries spaniel trailers.

Whistles always have been of interest to me and yet I know it is the trainer that trains the dog and not the whistle used. I've got about 7 months to think about it before my springer pup is delivered to me.......by then it should be ready for the Championships never mind for just picking up. :lol:

Bill T.
Have you seen these Wullie ?
"W25 Dog whistle features: Light weight with a wide mouth piece making it easy to hold between your teeth or lips, leaving your hands free to direct. Ultra high pitch sound making it easy to get your dogs attention regardless of breed. Made from a durable strong plastic which is easy to clean and maintain."

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:07 am

Haven't seen them before Robert ........they look a bit like beer bottles ! :D

Bill T.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:52 am

Bill, if them above as proffered by Robt. look like beer bottles, why not go for the yard of ale look
and join the in-crowd for a good cause? http://www.dogsafield.com/Pink-Dallesas ... /R033-002/

Plus, that's practically the Glorious Jam Tarts (Hearts) official team colours right there :oops:

MG

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:45 am

A pink whistle ? Is there sumfin your trying to tell me ? :lol:

Bill T.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:52 am

Trekmoor wrote:A pink whistle ? Is there sumfin your trying to tell me ? :lol:
Righto - the "good cause" belongs to your second favourite topic after gundogs - wummin.

MG

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:06 am

gonehuntin' wrote:For me, they would be a horrible idea. I want my hands as free as possible and don't want to fumble for a whistle, have to take my hands off another training tool, to find a whistle to push a button on. I like having the whistle in my mouth all day and hands free. Sounds like a really horrible idea for me, or at least for my style of training.

I agree. In the field, it would seem like a hassle.

For me, the usefulness would be in training. Having your mouth free to voice the command and them immediately use the hand whistle would seem easier.

The other issue I'd like to avoid is the young dog reacting to seeing the whistle going to or sitting in the mouth. I only want a reaction to the whistle command. Not the preperation to give the whistle command and trying to guess what I want.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:51 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:For me, they would be a horrible idea. I want my hands as free as possible and don't want to fumble for a whistle, have to take my hands off another training tool, to find a whistle to push a button on. I like having the whistle in my mouth all day and hands free....
...The other issue I'd like to avoid is the young dog reacting to seeing the whistle going to or sitting in the mouth. I only want a reaction to the whistle command. Not the preperation to give the whistle command and trying to guess what I want.
Haven't trained many retrievers or spaniels, have you, pato?

MG

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:06 pm

Your mouth conforms to the whistle and it's there forever. I rarely take a whistly out of my mouth hunting and never training. I find it soothing to suck and chew on the darn things all the time. I really can't imagine any pro trainer ever using an electronic whistle.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:19 am

gonehuntin' wrote: I rarely take a whistly out of my mouth hunting and never training. I find it soothing to suck and chew on the darn things all the time.
Wish I could say the same. I spend so much time sucking for air as I walk the whistle falls out of my mouth ! :lol:

There used to be a "thing" among Scottish spaniel trailers designed to demoralise the other competitors and impress the judges at the same time. It could be done only with a very well trained and very competent spaniel. It was called...." Giving it the Swank !" or "Doing the Swank !"
A handler in a trial would walk along with his whistle hanging on his chest and with his hands casually folded behind his back sort of Prince Philip with the Queen style. The handler gave it the swank knowing or trying to give the impression that whistles and arm signals were simply not needed with a dog of this calibre.

When it went well this was very impressive, when it went wrong it was bloomin' disastrous and sometimes very funny !
I haven't seen a spaniel trailer Doing the Swank for about 30 to 40 years now .....maybe it went wrong too often ?

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:12 pm

Trekmoor wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote: I rarely take a whistly out of my mouth hunting and never training. I find it soothing to suck and chew on the darn things all the time.
Wish I could say the same. I spend so much time sucking for air as I walk the whistle falls out of my mouth ! :lol:

There used to be a "thing" among Scottish spaniel trailers designed to demoralise the other competitors and impress the judges at the same time. It could be done only with a very well trained and very competent spaniel. It was called...." Giving it the Swank !" or "Doing the Swank !"
A handler in a trial would walk along with his whistle hanging on his chest and with his hands casually folded behind his back sort of Prince Philip with the Queen style. The handler gave it the swank knowing or trying to give the impression that whistles and arm signals were simply not needed with a dog of this calibre.

When it went well this was very impressive, when it went wrong it was bloomin' disastrous and sometimes very funny !
I haven't seen a spaniel trailer Doing the Swank for about 30 to 40 years now .....maybe it went wrong too often ?

Bill T.
Aye, well it used to be 'Hands in pocket's' ..Like a Devil may care attitude :lol: ..I hear you 'Gonehuntin' :wink:
Took this young lad out today to 'proof' the training, using no whistle for stop to a thrown dummy and or turn on pattern . We were working on his confidence on obstacles such as fences and water which is his weakness for this 'Rabbit flusher' :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-Pxa_A8dk