Crossing lines

Wa Chukar Hunter

Crossing lines

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:10 am

Well we are contemplating getting a couple litters on the ground.

We have 3 line bred Crockett/Sunrise dogs that we recently acquired - and I have a couple of pretty nice llewellins in the kennel - for the first breeding we are gonna line breed Buddy and Meg (both are Crockett/Sunrise dogs with a touch of Boseanns Mosley)

The other one which is still a relatively young dog is a line bred Crockett dog (but like some Crockett dogs is on the small side) we are contemplating outcrossing to my multiple winner Knikki - Derby and 1 hr walking wins/placements - who is a very muscular dog but a bit on the compact side or my FC/ RU CH Rocky (multiple 1 hr wins including a RU CH and is also a FC (horseback stakes) in the AKC

Has anybody done this and did you like the results?

pato y codoniz

Re: Crossing lines

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Wa Chukar Hunter wrote:Well we are contemplating getting a couple litters on the ground.

We have 3 line bred Crockett/Sunrise dogs that we recently acquired - and I have a couple of pretty nice llewellins in the kennel - for the first breeding we are gonna line breed Buddy and Meg (both are Crockett/Sunrise dogs with a touch of Boseanns Mosley)

The other one which is still a relatively young dog is a line bred Crockett dog (but like some Crockett dogs is on the small side) we are contemplating outcrossing to my multiple winner Knikki - Derby and 1 hr walking wins/placements - who is a very muscular dog but a bit on the compact side or my FC/ RU CH Rocky (multiple 1 hr wins including a RU CH and is also a FC (horseback stakes) in the AKC

Has anybody done this and did you like the results?
I don't know about these setter lines and can't speak intelligently about crossing them.

However, I'd assume, when you start crossing lines, where the inbreeding coefficient is low or even zero, it is going to take a few generations to get the traits you want expressed with consistency. While it isn't practical to keep all the pups, grow them out, and then selectively breed from these first couple of generations, I'd try to keep the offspring local and in the hands of people you know so you can see their development and add the exceptional dogs back into your breeding program.

I know that with some exceptional field trial litters, line bred and not what you're doing, I still had to allow the breeder to retain access to semen.

Just let your pup owners know that you want to keep building your line and if necessary make it part of the ownership contract.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:25 am

can you post pedigree of dogs you want to cross?

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:39 am

I believe each breeding is an experiment to find out what the pups are going to be like, and how consistent the litter is. I've had 3 pointer litters in the last year and have learned a lot from the experience. I am crossing two distinct lines for several reasons, but it's important to have a good idea of what you are looking for in the litter. My main goal was and is to find a stud dog that doesn't take anything away from my dam. Nor do I want the sire to add traits I'm avoiding, so, like I said, it is an experiment every time. However, finally on the third litter I found (so far , since the pups are only 16 weeks old) a stud that matched very nicely with my bitch and had a very consistent litter that from what I can tell, at this early point, is what I was looking for. I'm so happy with these pups that I'm going to breed their mothers full sister (when she comes into heat) to the same stud, and hope to see the same results.

I have a plan to capitalize on my females bloodline and will breed back into that line when I have what I'm looking for out of this and future litters.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:34 am

The art of breeding exceptional litters is much more than a science IMO.
Some will preach line breeding (and that does seem to be a very very reasonable approach) but if you look at the success of many of the top winning field trial professionals, their dogs are not line bred at all but select two parents with the characteristics they desire and breed from that. The interesting thing is that they will continue winning generation after generation with these dogs.

mask

Post by mask » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Wa chukar hunter. A couple of questions if I may. Where did you get these setters and what are you going to do with the offspring. What do you hunt and/ or what are you planning to hunt with these dogs or their offspring?

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:48 pm

Kellym wrote:can you post pedigree of dogs you want to cross?

White Rock Forever Knight - CH Shoeleathers Tanner X Sherrods Pretty Polly

RU CH White Rock Cordite (RU ABHA National Open Invitation Championship) he is also an FC in AKC (both the above are llewellin setters (Highway Dan X White Rock Abbyssinia)

Horizons Buddy - Heavy Hitter X Prime View (This dog is line bred CrockettXSunrise - CH See Johnny Run - Tekoa Mt Surnvise etc

DD - Is a young female from Horizons Buddy so that is the dog we may out cross to either of my powerful llewellin males - she is on the small side for size and Knikki and Rocky are nice sized 55-65 lb dogs with range, nose and speed and they have a handle too.

Meg is a line breed Crockett dog out of Crocketts Comanche kid and her Dam Arbuckles Dos Equis is a Crockett Sunrise dog that goes back to See Johnny Run

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:50 pm

mask wrote:Wa chukar hunter. A couple of questions if I may. Where did you get these setters and what are you going to do with the offspring. What do you hunt and/ or what are you planning to hunt with these dogs or their offspring?
Bobwhites - sometimes sharp tails and huns - I will probably sell the offspring trying to keep one or two for prospects

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Check the pedigree of Shadow Oak Bo, a number different lines converge to produce the winningest setter in 40 years.