Pup excersize whats too much?

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:13 pm

7mo old gsp. We can do a 1-2 hour field run and then she will swim for an hour. I have to literally tie her to the bumper of my truck to get her to stop running and swimming. She will go a solid 2-3 hours of rigorous activity until i stop her. I am almost certain she would go full bore until she keels over. Is this too much at one time. Its mostly being at the lake that concerns me, she will retrieve bumpers in the water at 20yds and then if i put the bumpers away shen just starts running in and out of the water and swimming around and I'm afraid she's going to drown.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup excersize whats too much?

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:39 pm

Sounds pretty normal.:) I've never had a dog exercise to the point of it being harmful. I'm always finished for the day before that would happen.

The key though is to have a day of rest, ( whether the dog wants it or not) in between runs like that for the dog's muscles to recover.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:39 pm

Ok, i it just seems like she doesn't know when to quit. But I trust your advice. Thanks

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:09 pm

As long as the pup has worked it's way up to this level of exercise and it is low impact (ie not on pavement or with resistance), it is fine.

The advice about a day off is old school and is effective. New school would be to have the day off just be some swimming.

Btw, if the body of water is nice and cool, the post run swims aid in the recovery process. Helps cool the dog down.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:57 pm

You got me. I'm definitely old school.:)
You are right . On the off day real athletes make sure they exercise a different muscle group than the day before. Muscles need 24 hours to heal. Sidney told me so.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:15 am

Sharon wrote:You got me. I'm definitely old school.:)
You are right . On the off day real athletes make sure they exercise a different muscle group than the day before. Muscles need 24 hours to heal. Sidney told me so.
I wasn't trying to offend you. If you took it that way, you have my apologies.

The new school approach is light exercise of the previously over exerted muscle group, like light walking or swimming for legs, for the day or two following the over exertion. The increased blood flow helps relieve the soreness.

Now, injured muscles are a different story.

tobytx

Post by tobytx » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:52 am

I think the general consensus is wait till the dog is a year when skeletal growth is completed

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:38 am

tobytx wrote:I think the general consensus is wait till the dog is a year when skeletal growth is completed
Wait for what? Wait to excersize the dog?

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:40 am

pato y codoniz wrote:

The new school approach is light exercise of the previously over exerted muscle group, like light walking or swimming for legs, for the day or two following the over exertion. The increased blood flow helps relieve the soreness.

We already had an injury. I waited 4 days til she stopped limping them waited 3 more days until we resumed yard training and about 5 more days of just walks and light yard work until we went back to the fiels.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:45 pm

getzapped wrote:
tobytx wrote:I think the general consensus is wait till the dog is a year when skeletal growth is completed
Wait for what? Wait to excersize the dog?
I'm curious as well!! Here's my not quite 4 month old pointer pup. He was on the ground for 40 minutes last night, 86 degrees, which is a little longer than the last outing, but I've never seen a puppy quit, so I can't say what's too long.

He will have to start wearing a tracker soon as he got lost (from me) a couple of times in the tall grass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud1jpetnjpk

Steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:50 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:

Not at all . I was kidding you. I have a weird sense of humor that sometimes get lost on the computer. No problem.