Questions about getting a second dog

webfoot1973

Questions about getting a second dog

Post by webfoot1973 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:41 am

Alright, I think I am to the point where I want a second dog. My 7.5 year Griff is about finished and this would be a great time to start another one.
I have some questions for you all that have multiple dogs. Currently, I have a male that is not intact, has had two TPLO's and showing some slight wear and tear.(aren't we all)

1. Would it be better to get a male or female ? Pro and cons?
2. Training....do you use different commands, whistle commands?
3. Training collars.... which one, dual collar, two single collars, which models.

Any help would be appreciated!!!1

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Questions about getting a second dog

Post by shags » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Male or female, your preference. My females have all been spayed, my males left intact. No problems either way.

Training, i use the same commands, simple to preface them with the dog's name. KISS.

Collar - mine is a TT Pro-SomethingOrOther with three collars. Bought collar bands to match the colors on the transmitter switch, and each dog has an assigned color (less chance zapping Blue Dog or Black Dog when Red Dog messes up :lol: )

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:56 pm

webfoot1973 wrote:Alright, I think I am to the point where I want a second dog. My 7.5 year Griff is about finished and this would be a great time to start another one.
I have some questions for you all that have multiple dogs. Currently, I have a male that is not intact, has had two TPLO's and showing some slight wear and tear.(aren't we all)

1. Would it be better to get a male or female ? Pro and cons?
2. Training....do you use different commands, whistle commands?
3. Training collars.... which one, dual collar, two single collars, which models.

Any help would be appreciated!!!1

Yes 2 dogs are more work /expense than one.

I've mixed both genders and had no problem - better explain that - female + male . male + male and female + female. .... just in my experience , others have had many more dogs than me.

Same commands. Use dog's name first .. " Joe , come!"

Dogtra 2502 - beeper / correction feature for 2 dogs. Round $500.00.....2 differently colored collars.

Only thing I've had to watch for is that when your dog is 12 , the new dog will be 4 - high energy.. I've found the old dog can get abused by the young dog just in general play etc. I've had to deal with that firmly.
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Yup. My poor old rot. He'll put her in her place but is puffing after 30 seconds. I've seen two females that both want to be dominate where they learn to hate each other. Or one turns to submissive. I usually have one of each. The female always rules the house.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:38 pm

Two dogs is not double the work... It increases exponentially haha.

A cautionary tale about prefacing a command with a dog's name:

I was watching a guy work with two labs, doing retrieving/marking drills. While trying to restrain the younger, unsteady dog his older, typically steady dog began to creep (this is after a mark was thrown)... He looked at the older dog and said "Joe, sit," but before "sit" came out of his mouth the dog was half way to the mark. He trained the dog to retrieve on his name, so the dog did exactly what was told to him.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:54 pm

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:58 am

I generally train my dogs one at a time. I have a single dog e-collar. I will tie the others out, so they can watch and learn what I am trying to teach.

When hunting with two dogs, I will have my single dog e-collar and locator collar on the one whom I think might l need it and just a locator collar on the other . If my son is hunting with me, I will have an e-collar and locator collar on both dogs.

I will occasionally use an older, deed broke dog as a backing dummy for a younger dog, especially when I am allowing the younger dog to run without a checkcord and I am on foot. The presence of the older dog, on point will usually result in the younger dog honoring...or(occasionally) getting taught a lesson in manners and respect... by the older, dominant dog. Both ways work for me.

RayG