How much food for a Vizsla puppy

Waterfowler21

How much food for a Vizsla puppy

Post by Waterfowler21 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:32 am

I have my 7 week old Vizsla Pup on the Purina Focus Puppy bag. Currently we are giving her 1-1 1/2 cups of food a day. She weighs 6.8 lbs. We are feeding her at 6 am and 5ish every day and dividing it out. She seems to be going crazy at about 3 PM when I get home for me to feed her. Should we amp up how much we are giving her or maybe try 3 times a day for feeding? The bag says 1 cup on it.

Thank you!
Last edited by Waterfowler21 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mnaj_springer

Re: How much food for a Vizsla puppy

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:48 am

You feed the amount that works for your puppy, based on her body condition.

As far as three times a day, sure! Some believe that's best for puppies. I personally only fed mine twice a day (due to my schedule), but I would've done three if it was possible.

bwire

Post by bwire » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:01 am

When I have a pup I feed them twice a day- first thing in the AM and in the evening around 5 or 6. My current pup is almost 7 months old and he was looking underweight, so I upped the food to 1.5 cups at each feeding. That has been working out for him. I'm also feed the pro plan focus for puppies. My dogs are vizslas as well. If your pup looks underweight, increase the amount. Feed the dog, not the bowl. Good luck.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:23 am

By and large a puppy should get all it wants to eat and as they get older is when many need restrictions. Twice will work and three times maybe better whan they are small. I manytimes put puppies pretty much on a self feeder when small.

Ezzy

Waterfowler21

Post by Waterfowler21 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:47 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. It is quite frustrating trying to find consistent answers. Seems like no one can agree on this matter.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:14 am

Waterfowler21 wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. It is quite frustrating trying to find consistent answers. Seems like no one can agree on this matter.
That's because there is no one size fits all answer. You have to figure out what works for *your *dog in *your* situation.

If your pup is ravenous at 3 when you are home, why not feed her then? You can give a little snack later, timing it out for last call potty break. It's hard for a very young pup like that to go so long between feedings, so if you're not around because of work or whatever, it's better to adjust for the pup's benefit. As she gets older you can adjust feeding time back to later.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:22 am

Why restrict the puppy's feeding at that young age???