Introduce 3 month Old GSP to Water?

Mattu1665

Post by Mattu1665 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:25 am

Is it too early to introduce my GSP puppy to swimming? She's been to the waters edge and wadded several times up to her belly but won't seem to go any deeper. . Should I carry her out to deeper water and make her swim or should I let her figure it out on her own?

bobman

Re: Introduce 3 month Old GSP to Water?

Post by bobman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:11 am

that's about as sure a way of making her fear water as I can think of so don't do it

she's a baby let her grow up, don't be in a hurry

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:54 am

Shallow slope and warm water help a lot. Assuming the water is warm, if she likes to retrieve or to follow you, just toss a bumper progressively a bit farther and/or wade in yourself. If you're having her follow you, be sure to not stay out deep and head back in with her and overall keep it fun.

clink83

Post by clink83 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:15 am

People make water intros too hard. Just take your dog swimming with you, and slowly move from shallow water to deeper water he has to swim with. Make it fun for both of you, and he will love water later in life.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:24 am

Mine 7mo wont stay out of the water now. I just kept bringing her to the lake and let her explore for herself. We would play with a ballnor bumper in shallow water and when she was ready she just started swimming. She now will retrieve and just go swimming on her own.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Slow and steady wins the race. Your dog will get more bold with age and familiarity. Don't rush it. I always let my dogs tell me how they comfortable they are and when there's a high desire to retrieve or chase,I take advantage of it at waters edge. Last year/ his first summer my little guy was extremely reluctant to jump in although he would swim a bit.

Took him out for his first swim of the summer and this is how he responded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GSP4ME on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:28 pm

12 weeks old- I'd hold off until July/August when the water is at its warmest.

Give pup some cheesies on the bank , and then throw some in the water and you go out too.

( Watch out for blue algae - a killer for a dog.)

https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=n ... e25xEuy1Yg

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Leave it alone. Take it for walks by water and wade out a bit on your own but don't force the pup into water. It's a puppy!

Mattu1665

Post by Mattu1665 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Sharon wrote:12 weeks old- I'd hold off until July/August when the water is at its warmest.

Give pup some cheesies on the bank , and then throw some in the water and you go out too.

( Watch out for blue algae - a killer for a dog.)

https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=n ... e25xEuy1Yg
Thanks Sharon for the heads up on the blue algae warning...never heard of that before. I figure I won't let her swim anywhere I'm not willing to take a dip myself. :)

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:30 pm

You;'ve been given good advice. I was helping a friend with water intro this weekend with his 13 week old toller. He wanted nothing to do with it, even with the other dogs playing and swimming in the water. We didn't push the issue. He wanted to just put him in but I told him he'd do more damage than anything. The dog will do it when hes ready. I also have a dachshund who is now 3 years old and she would NEVER go in the water until this summer when she has just started following the spaniel in and swimming around. Mind you she's not from hunting lines so your dog won't take that long, but the moral of the story is just be patient.