Are we slowly killing off our dogs?

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:23 pm

Unless your dog food specifically states that it excludes ethoxyquin (used to preserved fish, fish meal, etc) and bha/bht (used on poultry, feed, etc), you're feeding your pet these chemicals every time you fill up fido's bowl, without even knowing it in many instances, because it's used by ingredient suppliers, prior to delivery to manufacturers, and wouldn't be listed on the dog food package's ingredients.

While the above preservatives are not approved for use in the EU or Australia and despite studies showing negative effects in animals, like chronic nephrotoxicity, it is present in almost all dry dog foods. While I generally feel that humans will never ingest high amounts of any specific preservative because we have a varied diet, our dogs don't have that luxury. In most instances, they are fed kibble day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year from the day they are born until the, possibly prematurely from the cumulative ingestion of these chemicals , day they die.

Discuss....

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Are we slowly killing off our dogs?

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:43 pm

I only feed them corn. In before the lock, regards................

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:58 pm

nikegundog wrote:I only feed them corn. In before the lock, regards................

Why would it get locked?

I think that most people assume that ALL ingredients are listed on the packaging and shocked to find out that they are not.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:59 pm

Has boredom set in? Just couldn't get enough of the last food discussion?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:03 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:
nikegundog wrote:I only feed them corn. In before the lock, regards................

Why would it get locked?

I think that most people assume that ALL ingredients are listed on the packaging and shocked to find out that they are not.
You must be new to the forum. :D Well, I'm off to put red dye number 2 on my dogs corn cobs.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:20 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Has boredom set in? Just couldn't get enough of the last food discussion?
It actually has set in.

Either I occupy myself until my flight tonight or I'll start calling /emailing breeders about their up coming litters. Who knows how many more mouths I'll have to feed despite promising my wife only 1 puppy a year and already having deposits on two litters for 3 dogs.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:22 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:Unless your dog food specifically states that it excludes ethoxyquin (used to preserved fish, fish meal, etc) and bha/bht (used on poultry, feed, etc), you're feeding your pet these chemicals every time you fill up fido's bowl, without even knowing it in many instances, because it's used by ingredient suppliers, prior to delivery to manufacturers, and wouldn't be listed on the dog food package's ingredients.

While the above preservatives are not approved for use in the EU or Australia and despite studies showing negative effects in animals, like chronic nephrotoxicity, it is present in almost all dry dog foods. While I generally feel that humans will never ingest high amounts of any specific preservative because we have a varied diet, our dogs don't have that luxury. In most instances, they are fed kibble day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year from the day they are born until the, possibly prematurely from the cumulative ingestion of these chemicals , day they die.

Discuss....
Dude, get a life and get off your dog food discussions. We've all heard enough.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:23 pm

x2

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:24 pm

Seriously.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:24 pm

Gee -

I wonder what Blue Buffalo uses? Never mind what they SAY, but what do their contractors actually use? Sorry...couldn't resist.

Soooo...As far as exposure to harmful chemicals is concerned, how many folks use flea and tick repellents or other pesticides on their dogs??

Bugs, very much like the ones that infest our dogs and cats today, were very likely infesting dinosaurs two or three hundred million years ago and anything that can kill stuff that has survived snot one, but several global mass extinction events are pretty hard to kill. Those pesticides are most definitely poisons.

How many folks run their dogs in agricultural fields that have been treated with herbicides? How much residual herbicide do the dogs inhale or absorb through their feet? Anything that can kill poison Ivy is a poison.

How many folks allow their dogs to run on their yards after those green expanses have been treated with various and sundry pesticides for grubs and ants, herbicides to prert crabgrass,and several others to control broadleaf weeds and such and perhaps a fungicide to control mildew and mold? That stuff is all poison.

How many folks give their dogs water from municipal sources that have been dosed with fluoride and other stuff

How many folks give their dogs 8 and 9 way vaccines every single year, even though those vaccines HAMMER the dog's immune system?

How much heavy metals, like arsenic, antimony and mercury are in the salmon trimmings and other seafood offcuts that get processed into dogfoods?

If folks want to worry about stuff that affects their dogs longevity, there are much bigger fish to fry than trace levels of ethoxyquin, IMO. Which would you rather have...trace levels of ethoxyqin or trace levels of aflatoxins?

RayG

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:26 pm

i vote you call or email the breeders.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Don't feed the troll Ray. :)

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:30 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:
pato y codoniz wrote:Unless your dog food specifically states that it excludes ethoxyquin (used to preserved fish, fish meal, etc) and bha/bht (used on poultry, feed, etc), you're feeding your pet these chemicals every time you fill up fido's bowl, without even knowing it in many instances, because it's used by ingredient suppliers, prior to delivery to manufacturers, and wouldn't be listed on the dog food package's ingredients.

Discuss....
Then I guess that you shouldn't read them?

I'm not forcing you to read anything I write. I'm not spamming your email or text.

You have control over what you read. Why do you feel the need to censor on topic discussions that you don't have interest in?

I literally could not give a crap about 90% of the stuff posted here so I don't read them at all or past the original post. I certainly don't have the weird inclination to censor.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:32 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:
Dakotazeb wrote:

Discuss....
Then I guess that you shouldn't read them?

I'm not forcing you to read anything I write. I'm not spamming your email or text.

You have control over what you read. Why do you feel the need to censor on topic discussions that you don't have interest in?

I literally could not give a crap about 90% of the stuff posted here so I don't read them at all or past the original post. I certainly don't have the weird inclination to censor.
Then may I ask why you are here?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:02 pm

I think the answer to that above question lies in the ease of accessing a public message board rather than accessing "e-mail and text". :idea:
Last edited by Mountaineer on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:04 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Gee -

I wonder what Blue Buffalo uses? Never mind what they SAY, but what do their contractors actually use? Sorry...couldn't resist.

Soooo...As far as exposure to harmful chemicals is concerned, how many folks use flea and tick repellents or other pesticides on their dogs??

Bugs, very much like the ones that infest our dogs and cats today, were very likely infesting dinosaurs two or three hundred million years ago and anything that can kill stuff that has survived snot one, but several global mass extinction events are pretty hard to kill. Those pesticides are most definitely poisons.

How many folks run their dogs in agricultural fields that have been treated with herbicides? How much residual herbicide do the dogs inhale or absorb through their feet? Anything that can kill poison Ivy is a poison.

How many folks allow their dogs to run on their yards after those green expanses have been treated with various and sundry pesticides for grubs and ants, herbicides to prert crabgrass,and several others to control broadleaf weeds and such and perhaps a fungicide to control mildew and mold? That stuff is all poison.

How many folks give their dogs water from municipal sources that have been dosed with fluoride and other stuff

How many folks give their dogs 8 and 9 way vaccines every single year, even though those vaccines HAMMER the dog's immune system?

How much heavy metals, like arsenic, antimony and mercury are in the salmon trimmings and other seafood offcuts that get processed into dogfoods?

If folks want to worry about stuff that affects their dogs longevity, there are much bigger fish to fry than trace levels of ethoxyquin, IMO. Which would you rather have...trace levels of ethoxyqin or trace levels of aflatoxins?

RayG
While I know that you're trying to have a little fun at my expense, even if we use your assumption that it is trace amounts, we are talking the cumulative effects of over 4000 doses in 10 years.

As science is finally discovering that bacterial imbalances in humans could be the underlying causes of illnesses in humans from certain anxiety disorders to irratable bowel syndrome, it should transfer to other mammals and especially those that are being fed the same purely processed and chemically preserved diet.

Btw, your point about blue buffalo, while a joke, isn't inaccurate. When dog food companies rely heavily on suppliers, or even the open market, and/or are outsourcing the production of their foods, they really aren't sure what is in it unless they're testing ingredients and then batches.

How many of the premium foods that are marketing themselves as being "natural" are getting preservative laden ingredients from suppliers?

With that said, some producers to use small suppliers that provide ingredients without chemical perservatives, test those ingredients for everything from ethoxyquin to bha/bht to MERCURY, and control product becauae they have their own manufacturing facility.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:11 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:...Either I occupy myself until my flight tonight or I'll start calling /emailing breeders about their up coming litters. Who knows how many more mouths I'll have to feed despite promising my wife only 1 puppy a year and already having deposits on two litters for 3 dogs.
The quoted lines appear to be a swell example of over-gilding the lily.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:17 pm

Mountaineer wrote:I think the answer to that above question lies in the ease of accessing a public message board rather than accessing "e-mail and text". :idea:
Sorry to burst your bubble but i don't have a horse in the race or a stake in the game.

I'm not sure why people are so fearful of an opposing viewpoint that they try to shout it down or censor it.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
pato y codoniz wrote:...Either I occupy myself until my flight tonight or I'll start calling /emailing breeders about their up coming litters. Who knows how many more mouths I'll have to feed despite promising my wife only 1 puppy a year and already having deposits on two litters for 3 dogs.
Of course it was hyperbole as I didn't believe that his flippant response deserved better.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:26 pm

I agree with your concerns in this (and other threads) Pato y Codoniz.

Personally I've moved to feeding my dog a Prey Model raw diet and could not be happier with the results. It is unfortunate this forum is so close minded to alternatives other than commercial kibble.

Good luck!

Bill

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:29 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:I think the answer to that above question lies in the ease of accessing a public message board rather than accessing "e-mail and text". :idea:
Sorry to burst your bubble but i don't have a horse in the race or a stake in the game.

I'm not sure why people are so fearful of an opposing viewpoint that they try to shout it down or censor it.
No fear nor bubble.....just noted that you inadvertantly explained why you post.
A slip of the keyboard, perhaps.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:32 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
Of course it was hyperbole as I didn't believe that his flippant response deserved better.
Honesty appears over-rated by all too many today...often, when agendas need fluffed.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Sharon wrote:
pato y codoniz wrote:
Then may I ask why you are here?
It doesn't take a math major.

If you take 100% of the content and subtract the 90% that i dont care about, it leaves you with 10%.

You can then take the inverse of "I don't care about" and it will leave you with "I do care about".

Add the answer for those two steps and you'll have your answer.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:03 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Honesty appears over-rated by all too many today...often, when agendas need fluffed.

Snark, etc begets a well articulated dismissive reply.

Very few would argue that a disrespectful dismissive response would beget a serious and honest reply.

You're right I do have an agenda, feeding my dogs good food. If you believe otherwise, offer it rather than alluding to one.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
pato y codoniz wrote:

No fear nor bubble.....just noted that you inadvertantly explained why you post.
A slip of the keyboard, perhaps.
What is this inadvertent explanation?

Or do you not understand that the negated contracted compound verb "don't have" actually applies to both parts of the "or" statement since it is the verb for both?

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:19 pm

One thing I don't understand is why it is so controversial to want food labeling on dog food to accurately (with-in manufacturing tolerances) list the percentage of all ingredients in the mix, and the percentages of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates from both the major nutritional ingredients and the overall analysis as well?

Consumers ought to be fully informed about what they are purchasing.

Bill

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:26 pm

Spy Car wrote:One thing I don't understand is why it is so controversial to want food labeling on dog food to accurately (with-in manufacturing tolerances) to list the percentage of all ingredients in the mix, and the percentages of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates from both the major nutritional ingredients and the overall analysis as well?

Consumers ought to be fully informed about what they are purchasing.

Bill

The truth is that our dogs are reliant upon us for 99.9% of their nutrition and for the most part our dogs get the same food from the day their born until the day they die.

If you excluded the occasional scrounged bite, treat or table scrap; we are conducting long term experiments on our dogs with these foods and, rather shockingly, it seems that most people don't care to know what it is in the feed.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:26 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:Snark, etc begets a well articulated dismissive reply.
Still waiting for the first.
pato y codoniz wrote:Very few would argue that a disrespectful dismissive response would beget a serious and honest reply.
Then you have a never-ending circle as too often found in these dreaded dog food threads.
Which could lead some to believe it all orchestrated and a boredom-breaker....or the mentioned ease and lure of that public message board stump.
pato y codoniz wrote:You're right I do have an agenda, feeding my dogs good food. If you believe otherwise, offer it rather than alluding to one.
I feed my present dogs(3) good kibble...as were fed all my dogs of the past.
The two oldest are 14 & 15...the oldest is indeed showing effects of age in his get-along and the 14 year-old has only issues with eye ulcers occasioned by cysts.
To believe food fed in kibble shape has held them back from an extra handful or so of years is "dismissive" of the life a birddog lives and the work they do and the genetics they carry.
Which, to me, also says that you have less an interest in dogs as you do in the spreading of that agreed to agenda regarding dog food.
I tink....I prefer a fella or feller-ette with more of a focus upon the dogs than your shovel work regarding agenda indicates.

Perhaps in waiting for dat plane, you could choose a nice crossword puzzle or a game of Hangman instead of more of the same old, same old that tells too much about you.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:30 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:What is this inadvertent explanation? Or do you not understand that the negated contracted compound verb "don't have" actually applies to both parts of the "or" statement since it is the verb for both?
Good shot but no coal as they say hereabouts.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:33 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
pato y codoniz wrote:Snark, etc begets a well articulated dismissive reply.
Still waiting for the first.
pato y codoniz wrote:Very few would argue that a disrespectful dismissive response would beget a serious and honest reply.
Then you have a never-ending circle as too often found in these dreaded dog food threads.
Which could lead some to believe it all orchestrated and a boredom-breaker....or the mentioned ease and lure of that public message board stump.
pato y codoniz wrote:You're right I do have an agenda, feeding my dogs good food. If you believe otherwise, offer it rather than alluding to one.
I feed my present dogs(3) good kibble...as were fed all my dogs of the past.
The two oldest are 14 & 15...the oldest is indeed showing effects of age in his get-along and the 14 year-old has only issues with eye ulcers occasioned by cysts.
To believe food fed in kibble shape has held them back from an extra handful or so of years is "dismissive" of the life a birddog lives and the work they do and the genetics they carry.
Which, to me, also says that you have less an interest in dogs as you do in the spreading of that agrred about agenda regarding dog food.
I tink....I prefer a fella or feller-ette with more of a focus upon the dogs than your shovel work regarding agenda indicates.

Perhaps in waiting for dat plane, you could choose a nice crossword puzzle or a game of Hangman instead of more of the same old, same old that tells too much about you.
All that rambling and you've yet to address the simple question... what is my agenda?

However, you've no posted several post that have distracted from my original post, maybe you have an agenda?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:47 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:...All that rambling and you've yet to address the simple question... what is my agenda?
However, you've no posted several post that have distracted from my original post, maybe you have an agenda?
Your keyboard fingers are slipping out of frustration with not being able to define and direct the discussion. :idea:
I'm sure that is vexing.

Your last sentence is from Politics 101....distract the eyes and minds when the arrows hit too close to home for comfort.

Hey, maybe a jumble puzzle.
Got to be something better out der.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:49 pm

For a long and healthy life you must feed your dogs, kittens, baby bunnies and butterflies.

Raw naturally, live preferably

And if you can get them baby seals, because they have high omega-3 fatty acids

Holy cow not even a week since the last feed thread

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:55 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
pato y codoniz wrote:What is this inadvertent explanation? Or do you not understand that the negated contracted compound verb "don't have" actually applies to both parts of the "or" statement since it is the verb for both?
Good shot but no coal as they say hereabouts.
Let's hope that you're not a cop because I'd hate for some poor guy to get shot because you took "I don't have a knife or a gun" to mean that he's got a gun.

In the future, when you're trying to enstil confidence that you understand baaic English grammar, I'd refrain from coal miner or hillbilly colloquialisms.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:13 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:Let's hope that you're not a cop because I'd hate for some poor guy to get shot because you took "I don't have a knife or a gun" to mean that he's got a gun.
Nope, I am not a ......police officer.
pato y codoniz wrote:In the future, when you're trying to enstil confidence that you understand baaic English grammar, I'd refrain from coal miner or hillbilly colloquialisms.
See, there you go again.....saying too much and so defining yourself and your prejudices...in this case, when you spring to such generalizations, it is especially sad to read.
But, much is learned when a flashlight is turned on in a dark room. :idea:

Actually, in the hope that it is not too late for you to learn......rather than hillbillies, the term hilljack would be, at times, more appropriate.
Put aside the shallowly hidden superiority, p y c and grow and mature a bit.
Those in your personal environs will thank you.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
pato y codoniz wrote:...All that rambling and you've yet to address the simple question... what is my agenda?
Your keyboard fingers are slipping out of frustration with not being able to define and direct the discussion. :idea:
I'm sure that is vexing.

Your last sentence is from Politics 101....distract the eyes and minds when the arrows hit too close to home for comfort.

Hey, maybe a jumble puzzle.
Got to be something better out der.
Actually politics 101 is to preemptively attack the opposition with your own weakness so, when they attack back, their retort has already been diluted and minimized.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:21 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:

Why would it get locked?

I have found most people know as much about food as you do. For many years we used Ethoxyquin but it was pretty much dropped years ago. The reason we used it was it made the feed safer for your pet than not having a preservative in it. Since that time we have found better ones and in some cases just dropped it and shorten the shelf life.