New Dog

ShearMadness

New Dog

Post by ShearMadness » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Finally! The kids and I are close to getting our dog. Wife has been against it but she is slowly giving in. Her big argument has been that no one is home during the day. What is my argument aginst that? My plan was to crate the dog during the day with access to the yard from the crate.

Also, I was trying to decide between a Brittany and a Vizsla. I've read that the Vizslas have separation anxiety and/or become a headcase when left alone too long. Any advice? Thanks.

Spy Car

Re: New Dog

Post by Spy Car » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Vizsla's have very high exercise requirements, high training needs (inter-action with master), and high emotional needs. They tend not to be happy in the circumstances you outline. They are not called "Velco dogs" for nothing.

Bill (happy Vizsla owner)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:45 pm

ShearMadness wrote:Finally! The kids and I are close to getting our dog. Wife has been against it but she is slowly giving in. Her big argument has been that no one is home during the day. What is my argument aginst that? My plan was to crate the dog during the day with access to the yard from the crate.

Also, I was trying to decide between a Brittany and a Vizsla. I've read that the Vizslas have separation anxiety and/or become a headcase when left alone too long. Any advice? Thanks.

You don't want to let your dog have free access to the back yard when no one is home. Next thing you'll have a stolen dog. For a puppy , have someone come in at noon to take pup for a pee and a walk.

Any breed can have separation anxiety.

Expect pup to have accidents for a few weeks? Pup's bladder is very small. You'll be doing the clean up by the sound of it. :)

Remember you are going to have to get up in the night to take pup outside. A brisk walk before you go to work is also recommended so pup will sleep till noon. Pup will need a brisk walk when you get home from work too- every night no matter what else you have planned.

When crate training , pup will probably keep everyone awake for a night or two or....

Not trying to be negative ; I believe a dose of reality is essential when deciding to get a first pup.

For the first 6? months you may wonder why you did this to yourself , but then it will be all worth it. :)

(What kind of hunting do you do? )

I've had GSPs , field setters ( avatar) and JRTs . Very pleased with those breeds.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:09 pm

I agree. Do not give the pup full run of the backyard. Pups need to be confined when you are not home and even to some degree when you are home. That's just basic crate training. And if you intend to housebreak the dog and have it inside it is even more important.

ShearMadness

Post by ShearMadness » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Would I be better crating with access to an outside kennel? Or just crate during the day? My retired Mom lives close by and she could possibly come over at noon to let the dog out.

Pup will get plenty of exercise in the morning and evening. That is not an issue.

I hunt grouse and stocked phez.
This is not my first dog but it is the first one that will be "alone" during the day.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:46 pm

ShearMadness wrote:Would I be better crating with access to an outside kennel? Or just crate during the day? My retired Mom lives close by and she could possibly come over at noon to let the dog out.

Pup will get plenty of exercise in the morning and evening. That is not an issue.

I hunt grouse and stocked phez.
This is not my first dog but it is the first one that will be "alone" during the day.

If fully secured I think that would work well , but what if pup whines /barks all day . Are your neighbours close?

To be honest I don't think toy need to worry about crating your dog in an inside crate and having someone come in at lunch.
Having a pup isn't only for those who are retired or work at home.
Crating and having someone come in at lunch is a reality for most people.

RaiderZach

Post by RaiderZach » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:15 am

I get to WFH, so luckily I have time to let my V run as much as he wants in the fields by our house....I shudder to think what his behavior would be like without the exercise...and he's just 5mos old

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:02 am

You cant crate a dog ( especially a puppy) all day long that's no life for a dog. Your idea to build a kennel for during the day is the best one IMO.

If theft is a problem put a top on it , lock the gate and get a security camera and signs telling thieves they are being filmed. Nowadays you can even view the kennel from your smart phone from work.

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:03 am

Getting a one year old nice trained dog would save you a lot of grief on your first dog, its more expensive up front but over the first year about the same money and you could hunt it this fall.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:04 am

I built a small kennel in my basement- luckily I was able to come to work early to make up time and take the hour round trip at lunch to let them out for a awhile.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Crate or kennel, choosing a Vizsla as a dog to be left "alone" would be a very unwise move IMO.

Vs tend to have a very breed-specific need to be around their people. If this is the set-up consider another breed.

Bill

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:47 pm

I have owned and trained many Vizsla's over the years and they are VERY adaptive to their environment. Don't mistake the term "Velcro dog" as a sign of weakness. Heck, they were bred in Hungary and survived 2 world wars. :D They are biddable, loyal and affectionate but will thrive in many situations.

Just like any other breed, they require security, water, food and exorcize. They may want to be with you but they don't need to be babied.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I have owned and trained many Vizsla's over the years and they are VERY adaptive to their environment. Don't mistake the term "Velcro dog" as a sign of weakness. Heck, they were bred in Hungary and survived 2 world wars. :D They are biddable, loyal and affectionate but will thrive in many situations.

Just like any other breed, they require security, water, food and exorcize. They may want to be with you but they don't need to be babied.
Vizslas are not weak. But, as you say they want to be with their masters. This is a very strong breed trait.

It is a very poor idea to believe you can have a dog that thrives on companionship and believe it will be happy alone. That is just asking for problems.

Bill

ShearMadness

Post by ShearMadness » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:22 am

I'm confused!! What is everyone else doing with their dogs during the day? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one working. Since there were a couple of comments that it wasn't a good situation for the dog I started to look at other breeds. It seems that every hunting breed is labeled as "destructiveness and barking" when left alone. What do I do at this point?

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:01 am

I imagine that everyone that gets a new pup has some sort of plan in place. Someone that can take the pup out several times a day or something along those lines. I dont know the age of the dog you contemplating but i cant see how a young puppy can be crated for an 8-10 hr workday with only a break at noon. I am fortunate to bring my pup to work. I stin wont leave her in a crate for more than a few hours unless its night and she sleeping.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:51 pm

ShearMadness, you just need a plan. When we got our spaniel I usually worked 11AM to 7PM and my wife worked 2PM to midnight. An hour before she left my wife took away water and right before leaving took the pup out to do her business, then she went into her crate. At 5 PM I'd drive home to let her out again. Then I'd be home in less than 2 hours. Worked out well. Now we don't have to make that extra trip home because her bladder control is much better.

As for the barking and destructiveness... That applies to every dog that's left alone too long, not just sporting breeds.

bwire

Post by bwire » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:09 pm

If you have a way to get the pup out around mid day, I think a vizsla would do fine or any other type of pup. What time does somebody get home in the afternoon? We have 3 vizslas and between me, my wife or my mom somebody was able to let them out around noon and then I would be home around 3:30 and this worked out fine.

meastt

Post by meastt » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:08 pm

I have a very well mannered 6 month old GSP. Originally when I brought him home, I would run him at 5:30 am, then go to work, take lunch at home to let him out and then I was home by around 3:30 and he was out for the rest of the night. It worked out well with no issues. I think it also helped with house breaking as soon as I let him out each time he went STRAIGHT outside. He was pawing at the back door within a few days to get out and he has never had an accident in the house.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:29 pm

ShearMadness wrote:I'm confused!! What is everyone else doing with their dogs during the day? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one working. Since there were a couple of comments that it wasn't a good situation for the dog I started to look at other breeds. It seems that every hunting breed is labeled as "destructiveness and barking" when left alone. What do I do at this point?
Folks get all excercised about this kind of stuff, but, for most bird dogs, if you mess with them in the morning while you are cleaning up the kennel area and yard, mess with them in the evening as you are preparing to feed them, that should be enough.

If you have a dog that is a barker...they make bark collars for that.

Dogs will adapt. Bird dogs, especially. They are bred to work with us and for us. If the dog is supremely bored and starts chewing on the fencewire, get it a KONG toy.

What you allow... you encourage. What you tolerate...becomes the level you are training to.

I have kenneled dogs(pointers) outside for MANY years and, before I retired, for five days a week they got 10 minutes in the morning and maybe 10-15 minutes in the evening. They did JUST FINE. I know folks that have done the same with setters, GSP's and Britttanys.

Now, to be sure, some breeds do tend to be better than others about being left in a kennel(pointers are one such breed), as well as some individuals within breeds, but more often than not, it is we owners that make them neurotic, needful and destructive. Food, water, a dry warm place to sleep and some exercise is all a dog needs...ANY dog. If they start getting needful, pushy, demanding and otherwise obnoxious, they need to be reminded of their place in the pack...which is(or should be) dead on the bottom of the hierarchy. If we do not do that...we are failing as trainers and as pack leaders and we are asking for trouble.

What you allow...you encourage. What you tolerate...becomes the level you are training to.

YOU is DA BOSS. Once the dog understands this fact of life, it will be secure in its place in YOUR world, and will be happy. Be a good boss, be a kind boss, be a patient boss, BUT BE BOSS!

RayG