Summer Camp Question

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Summer Camp Question

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:52 am

Hey ladies and gents:

I've been off line for a bit as we lost our 15 year old Pointer and our 14 year old Chessie this past month. Caring for the two of them these past 6 months has been crazy.

I need some assistance as I'm writing an article on dog training and would like some input into these questions from this crowd:

how many of you have sent your dog to summer camp?
was it useful to you?
what is the going rate for summer camp with your pro?

If you'd rather not post, you could send me a pm (I won't mention names in the article - just general costs). If you would be willing to visit with me via phone about your experience at summer camp - would you pm me? I just need a few quotes from dog owners that have sent their pups to summer camp and what they experienced.

Thanks ladies and gents!

rinker

Re: Summer Camp Question

Post by rinker » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:57 am

I have sent 8 to 10 dogs North for the summer over the years. I have used 4 different pro's. I have had a wide range of experiences. Most of the dogs that I have sent came back in great shape and much better trained than when they left. I think that a few hundred wild bird contacts will do great things for any dog. Most of the dogs that I have sent were greatly improved by the experience, a couple were about the same, and one was killed on the trip. Current rate seems to be $500 per month or a little more.

SCT

Post by SCT » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:14 am

I'm sending my, just turned one year old, female pointer to North Dakota summer camp with an All Age pro to see what her realistic potential is for field trials and breeding. She already has one placement in horseback trials that she got at 8 months old. From previous experience I expect to get back a more mature, very powerful, bird finding maniac! At this kind of "camp" the dogs will be ran with other young dogs from horseback on wild, native upland birds, and roaded from 4 wheelers on a daily basis (if with the right pro). The result is a physically fit hunting machine! That is, if you start with the right prospect to begin with. I don't want any training put on my pup other than keeping her to the front and pushing her to her limits. When done with camp she should either be ready for a season of hunting or for breaking! I'll know more about her maturity level in September. Can't wait to see how it turns out!!! Oh, and like what rinker says, about $550 a month.

Hope you didn't have to pay for the one that got killed, rinker! Bad deal for sure!

Steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:44 am

Very sorry to hear about your dogs. I have a 13 year old just hanging on.

I sent my dog to " summer camp " in ON long ago - $1000 a month....Still a deal as boarding kennel is $30.00 a day +++++for every treat, walk , swim etc.. and no birds. :)

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:15 pm

I have sent dogs to ND and felt it gave exposure to Sharpies, Huns and Pheasants that I could not provide in my neck of the woods. Although I feel I am capable of training my own dogs, the pros that I have used have more experience and ability that I have. I also like a pro to look at my guys and give an honest evaluation of their ability to be competition dogs. Although I will not discuss pricing here, I can say that I have been given very favorable rates.

This year they are going to Montana.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:45 pm

The single most important aspect of developing a bird dog is time on the prairies, almost vital for a young dog to experience the light cover, open ground with high bird concentration. The best investment I make is the 8 - 12 hundred for a Summer up North. I have never found a substitute.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:54 pm

So sorry about your dogs. Two in a month has got to be really tough.

To answer your question, i sent my setter to summer camp for two seasons and it was totally worth it. She came back much more independent and was a lot more serious about bird finding. It was very evident that her trainer worked with her a lot on her manners around birds, horses, on a check cord, reading, the whole nine. I paid $600/month and felt it was worth every penny. I would have sent my new dog to the same trainer but the derby slots were already filled. That's what I get for procrastinating.

Vision

Post by Vision » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:58 pm

My year old GSP spent a Summer with Richie Robertson. He charged $500 per month. She came home in shape, and tearing up the hills.

meastt

Post by meastt » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:14 pm

I have sent my first pup to gun dog summer camp in Colorado. It ran 2 months in length and cost me $650/month with a $120 bird fee.

Based on what was returned it was an investment that completely exceeded my expectations. I am very pleased.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks for all the responses folks! Sounds like there is a resounding "YES" for summer camp. I hope to have something written up soon about sending dogs to camp.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:46 pm

My adult dog spends every summer in SD at camp, and for my 1 yr old Brit, this is her first year making the trek. IMO the money spent is priceless. Most dogs at camp, will see more wild birds, than most hunting dogs will see in a lifetime. I spend less than the prices quoted above, but either way, it's all money well spent!

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:42 pm

The prices above seem reasonable for the results expressed. Our 1 yr old is headed to camp to give him a more concentrated training regiment than I can provide here at home on evenings and weekends. Birds=Bird Dog, I believe yet another article in the most recent Pointing Dog Journal reminds us of this yet again. It took restraint, but I've held off and let him be a pup for long enough. Now it's time to go to school.......I just hope he misses us as much as we'll miss him. Of course, I plan on making a couple visits! :)

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:19 am

Well, we dropped our Chevy off at the trainer's place in the Flint Hills of Kansas yesterday! We put him down and rode behind him for about 40 min. The trainer said he looked good and he'll get to run with two siblings and a few more experienced dogs. I'm definately going to have to find some time to get up there during the next couple of months!!