Winter exercise for Vizsla

Waterfowler21

Winter exercise for Vizsla

Post by Waterfowler21 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:20 am

Any ideas for getting a Vizsla winter exercise? I live in ND so it gets cold Dec-Mar most years. My fiance' suggested "agility" school and other types of indoor training. I am a bit uneasy however since I don't want to constantly be in these classes with a pointing dog. I fear they may help develop bad habits like teaching a "wait" command and training only with treats etc. Thoughts?

pato y codoniz

Re: Winter exercise for Vizsla

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:33 am

I am not going to pretend that i know about the harshness of your winter but, when I lived in New England, the dogs always went cross country skiing with us. A couple of years ago, I got a fat mt bike and again the dogs went with us. Frankly, about the only thing that we'd do different from the non winter activities is take it easy on them until they got comfortable with the booties.

Since the move to the west coast, our "winter" roading is done in 60 degrees and the fat bike is used on the beach.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:16 pm

Good winters here in Southern Ontario. I run my dogs in the winter if it is above -10 degrees Celsius.( about -4 F) I don't want frost bitten ear tips or testicles. Deep snow is good exercise. If it has a hard icy crust we don't go as an injured leg is too likely.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:52 pm

Sharon wrote:Good winters here in Southern Ontario. I run my dogs in the winter if it is above -10 degrees Celsius.( about -4 F) I don't want frost bitten ear tips or testicles. Deep snow is good exercise. If it has a hard icy crust we don't go as an injured leg is too likely.
Here also. Last winter we spent plenty of time outside in -20* F weather. As long as the dogs are moving the cold doesn't seem to bother ears or naughty bits.
Snow gives lots of bang for the buck. But ditto Sharon on the icy stuff...not worth the risk of injury. I run them off the four-wheeler until the snow's too deep; then I try to tromp through with them myself. Good workout for everybody.

I think agility would be fun for the dogs, for a change of pace. They're probably able to figure out the difference between an agility course and field work :lol: Only thing I'd watch out for, is to be aware of your choice of verbal commands and hand signals.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Dogs are smarter than you give them credit for. Sit is not required for agility, but you certainly learn how to be a better trainer. One of our younger nice V bitches also doubles as my ability project. She is as fast as the Australian Shepherd and border collie in her class. No negative impacts to her field ability. A wait commant is a nice tool to have in home, field, etc. If anything, it helps my bitch learn that a command means what it means, regardless of where it is given. Also, training with treats is just a type of training. How do you think this will change your field ability? Because you don't give your dog a treat when it points, it will stop pointing? I think you will look back on that one day and perhaps get a smile out of the thought. Also, toys are a huge reward in ability. Pulling on a rope toy is a massive motivator. You do NOT have to use this, but again, the dogs learn there is a time and place for that activity.
I love doing agility on the off season. I am working incredibly hard to have her ready for VCA nationals agility in KS next spring.
I hope you give it a try, your bond with your dog will skyrocket, plus it is a darn good time for you both!
Kelli

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:04 pm

Keep in mind that dogs are extremely place oriented. Your dog will mostly likely make the association between agility commands and the agility obstacles/course.

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:10 pm

Our first Vizsla was very smart & had very little coat underneath ... Teaching new things kept his destructive chew in check! Can't see where adding agility would impact his field performance... As teaching ours silly palor tricks didn't! Ours was alway fine hunting in very cold Iowa winters! Just kept him from going into the water!

Waterfowler21

Post by Waterfowler21 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:57 am

Thank you all for the responses. I am inclined to agree that I am overthinking things as usual. I also believe it will be great for her to get out some of her crazy energy in the wintertime.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:33 am

Just get out and run it as you normally would. We get a TON of snow here and my dog has endless energy, keeping him inside for the winter is not an option. Deep snow will burn lots of energy and keep the dog in shape. Just watch for signs that the dog is getting cold or frostbite, generally they won't stop until its too late.