Stormy to the vet.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Stormy to the vet.

Post by DonF » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:30 pm

Little guy started swelling in his neck Friday afternoon. Figured I could get him in Monday morning because I couldn't get there in time Friday and wasn't bad enough to go in Saturday. Saturday afternoon it really started getting big and Sunday it was huge and felt like a lot of fluid in there. Dropped him off first thing Monday morning and Dr didn't think it was the lymph gland again. Let him and they opened his neck and it was full of fluid. Got it cleaned out good but couldn't find anything. Then checked his ears and found a bunch of weed seed's in them. they think a weed seed worked it's way through his ear into his neck. Didn't find a seed in the neck but i guess the fluid came out in a gush. Strange thing, he never gave a sign anything was in either ear. Normally they'll roll their head into the ear with the seed and try to shake it out, he never did. Now he has drugs to take for awhile and a drain tube in his neck till Friday. This is the second good scare from him since the first of the ear. I think he'll be alright though. Got home and let the boy's out of the car and took ice cream in the house, went back out and no Stormy. Little sucker went down town. Guess he doesn't feel all that bad!

Eric

Re: Stormy to the vet.

Post by Eric » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Foxtail and Cheat Grass awns are notorious for doing that.
They both burrow.
As much as possible, I keep our dogs out of those areas, but if I'm in doubt, a quick exam from the Vet is cheap insurance.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Dang cheat grass. Glad the boy is doing well though. Give him a squeeze for me :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:25 pm

DonF wrote:Little guy started swelling in his neck Friday afternoon. Figured I could get him in Monday morning because I couldn't get there in time Friday and wasn't bad enough to go in Saturday. Saturday afternoon it really started getting big and Sunday it was huge and felt like a lot of fluid in there. Dropped him off first thing Monday morning and Dr didn't think it was the lymph gland again. Let him and they opened his neck and it was full of fluid. Got it cleaned out good but couldn't find anything. Then checked his ears and found a bunch of weed seed's in them. they think a weed seed worked it's way through his ear into his neck. Didn't find a seed in the neck but i guess the fluid came out in a gush. Strange thing, he never gave a sign anything was in either ear. Normally they'll roll their head into the ear with the seed and try to shake it out, he never did. Now he has drugs to take for awhile and a drain tube in his neck till Friday. This is the second good scare from him since the first of the ear. I think he'll be alright though. Got home and let the boy's out of the car and took ice cream in the house, went back out and no Stormy. Little sucker went down town. Guess he doesn't feel all that bad!
Good grief! It's always something. Hope everything works out fine.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:41 pm

You might also check eyes, between his toes/pads, up his nose, also teeth. Awns are relentless. Every dog here gets an inspection before we crack open a beer at the end of every hunt or training session.