Puppy food dilemma

Bacon1676

Puppy food dilemma

Post by Bacon1676 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:13 am

I know this topic is probably taboo, so before anybody gets any ideas I'm not interested in causing an uproar, I just need advise. So, with that said, here is the situation, in a week and a half I will be picking my puppy up; the breeder is feeding the puppy Purina Puppy Chow Healthy Morsels, which is fine, no biggie, but I've done research and I want the put the puppy on the pro plan. If I've done my math correctly it will end up costing me a $100 extras to feed the pro plan puppy formula for the first year. What I ultimately want to know is the $100 extra really worth it? Both foods provide the same level of protein and fat needed, the only difference is the calories provided, so you would feed less of one than the other.

I'm struggling with the decision because I was taught to feed the animals good solid food that has more natural ingredients. This dog is also gonna be my hunting dog, if he was a house dog that worked on the farm this would be a no brainier. I'm not gonna field trial this dog, which would also make this a no brainier. But I believe in stacking the deck as much as you can in your favor, but there is also the other side of me that doesn't really want to spend the extra hundred dollars and they're dogs after all, do they really need it? So as you can see I'm kinda stuck and need some advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please keep the comments civil I don't want this topic locked because someone can't play nice. :D

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy food dilemma

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:52 am

I always started puppy's out on puppy food, even tried it with Stormy. With Stormy, he ate with Sqiurt and Bodie and he'd leave the puppy food and eat their's which was fine by them, they ate his. When I had litter's, they were always started out on puppy chow but when they were big enough we'd take them in the kitchen and let them mess up the floor in there. Of course that only worked if we remember not to feed the two house dog's at the same time. Purina Puppy Chow is all I ever fed them, back then it was the only puppy food around! Kind of make's you wonder. If they were the only one's making it, how important was it really. I think the best thing about pretty much any dog food is the advertising, it's the advertising that makes us think as we do about puppy food. If you think about it, fox, coyote and wolf pup's don't get puppy food!

I should have finished this. Feeling the way I do anymore, I'd say feed the food you want, puppy or not. If puppy food feel's right to you feed it. If you just don't want to spend the extra $100, don't!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:45 am

I start all my litters on Purina pro plan Chicken and rice. after about ten weeks I switch to Pro Plan Puppy Large Breed. It has less fat and slightly less protein. I like to slow the growth rate a bit and keep the weight off. What the puppies eat when they leave our kennel varies but most clients use a premium food of some sort. Some go crazy on the cost
I also like the smaller kibbles to start with. Small puppies sometimes choke on adult size kibbles.
I have not had real good luck with puppy Chow as the puppy grows and is more active. It seems I need to feed to much and have issues with loose stool and difficulty with keeping weight on the dog.
Personally I think the really low priced food is inferior, I would go Pro Plan or some other medium price range food. it works for me.
One other thing foxes, wolves, and coyotes do not live very long............................Cj

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:50 am

I am not a breeder, but I have fed my share of puppies. IMO the only reason to feed a puppy food instead of a high protein, high fat adult food is the size of the kibble.

I used to feed Kasco puppy which was a 30/20 feed and tiny nuggets, about the size of rabbit pellets. I would buy one bag. When the bag was done, the pup went on the adult ration, which was also 30/20. By the time the pup is 6 months old, it has the choppers and the body size to eat adult kibble, I think.

The last litter I raised(about 10 yrs. ago) was weaned on Purina Puppy Chow that I ground to a powder in a blender that was rated to grind ice cubes. I did this to minimize waste. I could throw a scoop of powder into the puppy dish, add a scoop of whole milk(4%) cottage cheese(for calcium and fat) and warm water...stir and feed. The pups would vacuum it up until they were stuffed. I could keep adding feed, a scoop at a time and when the last pup waddled off, I let Mama finish off the bowl. Almost no waste.

By the time the pups were on food that was not wetted down(about 10-11 weeks), I discontinued the cottage cheese also.

RayG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:36 am

Great idea running it through the blender. We just soaked it down and let it sit till it got soft. Then in a big flat pan and let them do their puppy thing!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:18 pm

I start feeding dry food at four weeks. I used to do all kinds of things to get them started but you do not need to do that. Only problem is you have to clean up as quick as they start on solid food. mamma dog does not like it............................cj

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:33 pm

You didn't mention your breed, but if it's a large one you ought to look at calcium, phosphorus, and other minerals in the feeds too. Too much isn't good for them, neither is too little.

There are plenty of decent dog foods that aren't as expensive as PPP. Find one that's appropriate for your pup ( switching over to a new food, easy peasy just take it nice and slow) whether it's a puppy formula or an all life stages formula, and if it the dog does well on it you're all set.

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:23 pm

My puppy is a GSP, so it's a large breed puppy, he should be up in the larger part of the 24" 65 pounds when all is said and done. Both parents are big, especially the female, she is big for a female. This will be my first hunting puppy so any info on the breed and what has worked for other GSP owners as well as other breeds is always greatly appreciated.

I think CJ made a good point about not being in a rush by slamming them with a lot of protein and other nutrients ie let them develop normally while providing the right amount of nutrients.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:37 pm

The last puppy I raised was on Pro Plan Performance when I picked it up from the breeder and I kept feeding it. It is labeled "all life stages" and she did very well on it. I will probably feed it to my next pup. I have raised several litters and many more pups on Purina Puppy Chow and Wayne Puppy O's. I believe there are now better feeds for our puppies.