Chuckar cage near dogs?

wkirscher

Chuckar cage near dogs?

Post by wkirscher » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi - my apologies if this ends up a repeat post but I recently joined and didn't see my previous post appear.

I have two Vizlas and a pretty small yard. I'd like to keep a chukar or two in a small pen in the yard. The dogs will not have access to it but the birds will be within sight and smell. Does anyone know if this will somehow desensitize the dogs out in the field? Also, similar concern with my wife wanting to put a chicken coop in the back yard. Again, the dogs would be within sight and smell but won'd be able to get to them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Chuckar cage near dogs?

Post by DonF » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:20 pm

My dog's don't bother chicken's, they even go into the coop with me. They don't go into the pigeon pen with me but, if they are out and walking around, Squirt and Stormy ignore them and Bodie point's them. But if I bring one out in hand or in the bird bag, my boys go pretty ape!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:08 pm

Welcome to the forum Wkirscher.

I don't think it's a problem either.
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mask

Post by mask » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:14 pm

I wouldn't but I have lots of room. If you have limited space you will just to do what works best.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:49 am

I have a perimeter wire fence that keeps the dog about 4 ft away from my pigeons and chucker flight pen. Works for me.

Leeza

Post by Leeza » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:29 pm

I had to put chukars behind a perimeter fence also and keep dogs on the other side of the yard when I'm at work. If you don't have the space to do that, you could consider putting the chukars up on a wire platform. My dogs are very sensitive to the birds by keeping them separated and have not desensitized. My experience has been dogs figure out the difference between the birds in the yard if they are used to them and continuously exposed to them versus the field and won't desensitize to the field. This may require some initial correction in the yard to drive home the difference. Otherwise you may be having chicken or chukar every night. :D Just have to tailor it to your dogs.