rehoming young homing pigeons

ibbowhunting

rehoming young homing pigeons

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:41 pm

Is two weeks (14 days)long enough to keep young unflown pigeons in there new coop before letting them loft fly from there new coop

smittty

Re: rehoming young homing pigeons

Post by smittty » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:48 pm

I would go another 2 weeks ..then let them out for an hour or so a day for a few weeks then take the for a short ride maybe a mile or so maybe twice.. then three miles a few times.. then five then your good to go

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:12 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:Is two weeks (14 days)long enough to keep young unflown pigeons in there new coop before letting them loft fly from there new coop
It depends on what you are doing with them. If you have a cage you can put them in and put them out on your landing board each day it is probably long enoung but if you haven't done that I would start and give them at least a week before turning them loose.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:29 am

I've got one that volunteered into my homer loft maybe a year and a half ago. Let it fly from the first day nd it always come's back. I have read of homing pigeons that were in the same loft for 10+ years and then one day just went back to the loft it was hatched in. The homer's I started my loft with were fairly young but I never turned the loose that first fall, not until the next late spring. My though was to get them on a nest several time's before trying, then if they did leave I'd have a bunch still here that hatched here. I don't recall anymore how long I kept ferals in before trying to fly them, month sounds about right. When trying to re-settle birds I think the best plan is hold on to them until they've raised a couple nest's of chicks. Important thing about them is not so much them but the young they produce. You fly to soon and lose your birds, your gonna have to replace them and your back to square one. You raise a couple nest's with them and even if they don't come back, you have four young birds there that will.