NSTRA

rocksteady1

NSTRA

Post by rocksteady1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm thinking about getting into NSTRA here in northern calif. Anybody do this? I have an 18 month old shorthair we might start next off season.

pato y codoniz

Re: NSTRA

Post by pato y codoniz » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:49 pm

Yes
Last edited by pato y codoniz on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:19 pm

I've run in the Mid-North Region for the past 4-5 years. NSTRA is a fun venue. You can take it as seriously as you want. I got involved just for the fun of it, and to have something to do with my dog in the off season. Good luck and enjoy! If you have any questions regarding NSTRA shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer them.

rocksteady1

Post by rocksteady1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Any other venues? What about us Birddogs? Are they more active here?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:09 pm

If you can afford it, you should give it a try. It's got pretty expensive since I ran in it. that is considering the travel and entry fees plus food on the road.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:53 am

I have been running in NSTRA for 5 years in the Mo-Kan region. This venue is typically highly competitive, so you should be prepared for that. I love being part of the competition, utilizing my shooting skills and strategy. I have recently started competing at a national level, which brings a whole new set of challenges to the table. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Nick

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:12 am

nhachman wrote:I have been running in NSTRA for 5 years in the Mo-Kan region. This venue is typically highly competitive, so you should be prepared for that. I love being part of the competition, utilizing my shooting skills and strategy. I have recently started competing at a national level, which brings a whole new set of challenges to the table. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Nick

I assume that's your Brittany in your avatar? Good looking dog. Where's your dog out of?

You are right about the national trials. Many of the dogs there are what I refer to as "professional trial dogs". They are running trials almost every week across the country. I've run the Endurance when it was in Montana twice and the Dog of the Year Trial in Amo, IN once. My dog was competitive but it's tough for a dog that maybe runs 5-6 trials a year to win at that level. My dog an I still have fun so that's really all that matters.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:38 am

Nor Cal/Nev is a fun region. Some darn good people down there. Bruce and Cindy Lyon are as respected as they come in the Nation for their sportsmanship and knowledge of the game. Britt Forester, Derek Fletcher, good all around bird dog guys. Frank Rowe has been in the game forever, just can't say enough how I enjoy seeing those guys a few times a year. Fun fun region and are always willing to bring someone new on board and show them the ropes.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:46 am

Yes, that's my 6 year old female that I have been primarily competing with in NSTRA, she is a champion. Close up in her pedigree is Shambo's Dark Shadow and Beeline Bullet's Bravado. Further back include HOF dogs such as Markar's Jac's A Dan D, Scott's Gingerbread Lady, Reed's Bo-Nine Max, Jim De Bob's Spark's A Dan D, and of course Nolan's Last Bullet.

Coming up next is a male out of her and a line bred Bourbon XIII dog from Deseeker's kennel. He will start his training this fall.

Nick

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:15 pm

Been running and judging nstra trials since 99 have met a lot of super nice people and traveled to write a few states

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:59 pm

I highly recommend NSTRA. I enjoy the people and the camping. I am in it for the fun would not mind winning a few. The folks from No Cal come south several times a year. Great group. Just go out and attend a meet. Have fun with your dog in the off season. Compared to the cost of dining out today, it is cheap entertainment.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:31 am

oldbeek wrote:I highly recommend NSTRA. I enjoy the people and the camping. I am in it for the fun would not mind winning a few. The folks from No Cal come south several times a year. Great group. Just go out and attend a meet. Have fun with your dog in the off season. Compared to the cost of dining out today, it is cheap entertainment.
You running just socal or you ever run arizona?

You part of high desert quail forever?

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:39 am

Went to AZ, trial last January, hoping to also hunt Mearns. Caught the flu on the first day of the trial. Hooked up my rig and limped home after the Sunday run, but I will be back. AZ group also was also very friendly and helpful. Nice trial grounds. Have Quail forever meeting time on my calender. Plan to attend soon.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:51 pm

Have run NSTRA and local Club (AZPDC) for several years...both are great, camping, competition and fun :)

MGIII

NSTRA

Post by MGIII » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:16 pm

skyehunter wrote:Have run NSTRA and local Club (AZPDC) for several years...both are great, camping, competition and fun :)

Been thinking about joining AZPDC and am part of Valley of the Sun Quail Forever Chapter.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:54 pm

MGIII wrote:
skyehunter wrote:Have run NSTRA and local Club (AZPDC) for several years...both are great, camping, competition and fun :)

Been thinking about joining AZPDC and am part of Valley of the Sun Quail Forever Chapter.
Great club and people.. We have a Trial coming up in two weeks (http://azpdc.org/tools/events.php) This would be a good opportunity to come out and participate. I am the Treasurer for AZPDC, Feel free to shoot me an email or PM if you have any questions.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:10 pm

Can you please explain what the AZPDC is and how there trials are conducted? Thanks.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:Can you please explain what the AZPDC is and how there trials are conducted? Thanks.
Arizona Pointing Dog Club (AZPDC) http://www.azpdc.org

We conduct events (un-sanctioned) Training Days, Fun Hunts, and Club Trials. We also occasionally partner for Hunt Tests (AKC). Here is our Trial schedule http://azpdc.org/tools/events.php

Trials are conducted with two dogs competing for points. Finds, retrieves, steadiness, STF, Honor, etc. are all peer scored. 30 minutes braces in no less than a 40 acre field.

The majority of our events consist of Club Trials. Basically - The Trials are Hunt Test based (Not agility) with steadiness rules that apply. We have 3 classes, "Hunter, Shooting Dog" (both of these allow collars) and "Gun Dog" (No Collar).

We emphasize on the fun factor and prove to be a great place to start / finish if interested in other sanctioned events. We offer a large audience, from the every day hunter who wants to tune up during the off season to the training opportunity for the pro-trainer.

...hopefully no-one takes this as a highjack, I can relocate this post if necessary...I enjoy NSTRA equally :)
Last edited by skyehunter on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:26 pm

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:09 pm

So unlike NSTRA the dog must be steady to wind and shot?

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:41 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:So unlike NSTRA the dog must be steady to wind and shot?
Unlike Nstra, looks like dog can wear a e-collar ?

MGIII

NSTRA

Post by MGIII » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:39 am

oldbeek wrote:
Unlike Nstra, looks like dog can wear a e-collar ?
Only for the hunter and shooting dog classes. The Gun Dog class they cannot use an e collar.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:31 pm

For "Shooting Dog and Gun Dog" Yes, to obtain a higher score the steadier the better, but you can still compete with a dog that is steady to flush - shot. The "Hunter Class" doesn't score on steadiness, yet this Class is meant for younger pups.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:08 pm

skyehunter wrote:For "Shooting Dog and Gun Dog" Yes, to obtain a higher score the steadier the better, but you can still compete with a dog that is steady to flush - shot. The "Hunter Class" doesn't score on steadiness, yet this Class is meant for younger pups.
Problem is I've never taught my dogs to be steady to wing & shot. Here in SD hunting pheasants in CRP I prefer the dog to be after the bird immediately. Saves a lot of runners from getting away. Then I started running my Brittany in NSTRA trials where being steady to wind & shot is not reuqired. I thought maybe the AZPDC might be another venue for me as I winter in AZ. but looks like it won't work. I'll have to stay with NSTRA only.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:23 pm

Used to have a NSTRA club in Ontario and I enjoyed it very much. I switched to AF trials and I must say I enjoyed it much more. Whatever suits your fancy. Some people don't like competition and stick to tests. That's good too.

ncpointers

Post by ncpointers » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:47 pm

NSTRA is very enjoyable. I became addicted a dozen years or so ago. I chair trails, judge, run and even held office at the regional level for two years. Good luck.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:07 am

Dakotazeb wrote:
skyehunter wrote:For "Shooting Dog and Gun Dog" Yes, to obtain a higher score the steadier the better, but you can still compete with a dog that is steady to flush - shot. The "Hunter Class" doesn't score on steadiness, yet this Class is meant for younger pups.
Problem is I've never taught my dogs to be steady to wing & shot. Here in SD hunting pheasants in CRP I prefer the dog to be after the bird immediately. Saves a lot of runners from getting away. Then I started running my Brittany in NSTRA trials where being steady to wind & shot is not reuqired. I thought maybe the AZPDC might be another venue for me as I winter in AZ. but looks like it won't work. I'll have to stay with NSTRA only.

Certainly understand. AZPDC doesn't Trial during the winter months anyway (Hunting Season ). Some will attend NSTRA during the winter / hunting season if we are looking for the competition fix :) Usually works out well since most of the Winter NSTRA Trials are in Mearns country :)

If you are looking for a good time and some dog work we do have many folks from NSTRA including myself that run both venues. Those who prefer not to incorporate steadiness into their pooch typically are ok with running AZPDC and taking a little hit on their scores. We are not sanctioned and do not compete for Titles or the such anyhow.