Tracking collars

rocksteady1

Tracking collars

Post by rocksteady1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:46 pm

I want one. Sounds like an awesome way to relive some of our long distance hunting days. See how far the dog traveled what speed. Elevation all that.

Who has one? Which ones are best? How much should I spend? Any other thoughts?

FlyingDutchman12

Re: Tracking collars

Post by FlyingDutchman12 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:29 pm

rocksteady1-
I imagine there might be a ton of posts in the forum already on this topic that a search might help you locate.
Having said that, I own a Garmin Alpha 100 that I have found reliable and relatively easy to learn to use. The Alpha 100 is a combination training and tracking handheld/collar system, but Garmin also makes the Astro which is a pure tracking collar. I understand there is interoperability between the Astro and Alpha collars too so they might worth a look.

Good luck in your shopping!

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:28 pm

I think the Garmin Alpha is the most well known at the moment. SportDOG has the TEK 2.0. There are two models, a base model that is GPS only and a combination trainer/GPS like the Alpha. I've heard good things so far. Price point is about the same as the Alpha, too.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:16 pm

The only thing to remember about the Garmin Alpha is that while it is the most practical unit from a training POV, it is not approved for AKC events.

We have the Garmin Astro and a separate e unit on the same collar (the collars that come with the Astro are long enough to put both on). That way we can take the e-stim unit off & keep the tracking transmitter when our dogs are in any AKC event where they will be far afield.

FWIW,

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:12 pm

I have an Astro 220. I like it. It's user friendly, I figured it out without using the manual. I don't do much other than use it to locate my dog, and every once in a while look at her average speed.

I considered the Tek 1.0 but was scared off after reading a lot of reviews.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:17 pm

SubMariner wrote:The only thing to remember about the Garmin Alpha is that while it is the most practical unit from a training POV, it is not approved for AKC events.

We have the Garmin Astro and a separate e unit on the same collar (the collars that come with the Astro are long enough to put both on). That way we can take the e-stim unit off & keep the tracking transmitter when our dogs are in any AKC event where they will be far afield.

FWIW,

Nor legal in Canada unfortunately.

Schatz's Pop

Post by Schatz's Pop » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:20 am

I purchased the Garmin alpha to hunt grouse in the Adirondacks.

Pro's - I now use it around my local hunting grounds and long walks in the woods. It is VERY accurate and can show my dog's position down to feet relative to busy roads etc. Training functions allow me to warn/call her when I see on the screen she is getting to close to a road.

- I use the compass arrow/distance to dog screen a lot in deep brush/woods when she is quiet and out of sight. I use the map screen a lot when taking walks to keep tabs on how close she is getting to roads. I have not had to use it yet to "find" her after a long period as she is very good at checking in with me every couple of minutes or so.

-Also, as an aside, while I did a great job of acclimating her to her Pro 100 training collar, a person I left her and it with misused it and she is now "collar wise" with that collar. Putting the TT15 collar from the Alpha system on her does not affect her at all and she is making no connection with the training collar. So it "fixed" the issue of being collar wise to her Pro 100 collar.

Con's - The Alpha collar is BIG on a small pointer like Schatzie (perhaps my issue as she seems not to notice and it may be why she does not associated it with her pro 100 training collar). But also see the new mini TT15 collars that are coming out, smaller lighter but with slightly shorter battery length and shorter range.

- The controller is not as handy as the Pro 100. I understand it needs the screen for tracking (it's main function) but the training buttons are more difficult to use/identify than the Pro 100 in training mode. (the pro 100 buttons/toggle switch and level dial can all be actuated through clothing while in a pocket).

Bottom line, it is an Excellent tracking device with more bells and whistles than I currently can appreciate. And I do like the safety of having training stimulation, tone and vibration available should she get herself into bad positions.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Sharon wrote:
SubMariner wrote:The only thing to remember about the Garmin Alpha is that while it is the most practical unit from a training POV, it is not approved for AKC events.

FWIW,

Nor legal in Canada unfortunately.
Is the OP from Canada?

Lucky Dog

Post by Lucky Dog » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:45 pm

If you are on Face Book, here is a great group that helps each other with the Garmin units, and can answer a lot of questions you may have.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1527251744189419/

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:03 am

The Alpha is AKC approved if you use the newer collars like the T5 and Mini T5.

These collars can be used by both the Alpha and Astro transmitters.