Stud Comparison Hypothetical

GWPtyler

Stud Comparison Hypothetical

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:11 pm

OK, here's a little (somewhat) hypothetical situation I would like feedback on.

Let's say you have two males that are littermate. Virtually identical: same coat, same color, height, weight, etc. Both have similar temperaments. Both earned their VC at a young age and separated by a single point during evaluation. They even reside in the same town.

The ONLY difference (other than the single point) is that one was trained and handled by a professional dog trainer, while the other made it through at the hands of its owner. It was the owner's first dog and first time training. Ever.

Now, with everything else being equal, which would you pick as a stud?

dan v

Re: Stud Comparison Hypothetical

Post by dan v » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Have either sired a litter? If so, how are the pups.

If neither has a track record as a sire, I'd likely go for the Amateur trained dog.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:35 pm

definitely check if they have sired previous litters - the proof is in the pudding.
Otherwise go with the dog you "like".

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Go with the one you think is prettier :D

Who cares who trained up the dog? Lots of amateurs get lucky with a nice biddable dog; lots of pro trainers will tell you they've had dogs that a monkey could train.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:11 pm

dan v wrote:Have either sired a litter? If so, how are the pups.

If neither has a track record as a sire, I'd likely go for the Amateur trained dog.
The pro trained dog has sired several litters already, but I'm not sure how the pups are. Considering he is still being bred consistently, I'm guessing they're good pups.

The amateur trained dog hasn't sired any litters, mostly because his brother keeps "cock blocking" every opportunity that comes along. Dang brothers... :mrgreen:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:19 pm

The genetics of both are so close it is a coin flip. I give no credence to an amateur trained dog as having superior genetics, particularly in that venue. Go meet them and go with the one that likes you the best.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:24 pm

Neil wrote:The genetics of both are so close it is a coin flip. I give no credence to an amateur trained dog as having superior genetics, particularly in that venue. Go meet them and go with the one that likes you the best.
That makes sense. Thanks!

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:36 pm

shags wrote:lots of pro trainers will tell you they've had dogs that a monkey could train.
There is a rather popular gsp sire out there that his rather well known pro trainer called the most biddable dog that he's ever trained and a "perfect game dog" because you could teach him a new game in no time. "I think that it would have took about 3 days to teach him to play checkers"

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:08 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:
shags wrote:lots of pro trainers will tell you they've had dogs that a monkey could train.
There is a rather popular gsp sire out there that his rather well known pro trainer called the most biddable dog that he's ever trained and a "perfect game dog" because you could teach him a new game in no time. "I think that it would have took about 3 days to teach him to play checkers"
A pro friend of ours has had a couple in for training that he said all he did was put whatever training book in the their runs overnight. By morning they were ready for his trial string :lol: