Puppy/dog affordability

Gertie

Puppy/dog affordability

Post by Gertie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:20 pm

I may seriously regret posting this but here goes: I've seen a lot of posts both here and on other sites with the poster claiming that they cannot afford to treat a dog/puppy that they recently purchased (sometimes for hundreds of $$$) for an illness or injury that has occurred (as they often do). Maybe I'm just ranting but it seems that one should have an idea that these costs are inevitable and if you cannot afford to take your animal to the vet then maybe having an animal isn't a good idea. I understand things happen to all of us and our financial situations change but to buy a puppy and then immediately whine that you cannot afford a vet bill seems to be utterly irresponsible. Sell the dang pup back to the breeder and let someone who has the ability to think past an emotional purchase buy it. Is my logic flawed? Also, who the heck is giving homeless people puppies? Every time I go down town there's some young homeless hippie playing a guitar with a puppy. Maybe I'm just a grouch.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy/dog affordability

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:23 pm

Well said! and you should be a politician. :wink:

mask

Post by mask » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:49 pm

The local setter rescue here is full and no more can be taken at this time. The local shelter has several bird dogs that are not going anywhere. Your point is well taken and I don't see you as a grouch.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:09 pm

Gertie, good points... But what makes you think people are logical, practical, or responsible? :mrgreen:

Part of it, I think breeders could be more choosy. I mean, even apartments require applications.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:35 pm

You'll find the same mindset with people having kids.

If you can't provide your child with food, quality care, a stable home life (I'm not even talking about 2 parents but a long term home), early educational opportunities, and a quality public school or private education, why are you breeding?

Quite frankly, our tax policy is backwards with regards to children. It should encourage the fanatically stable to procreate and not permanently reward the financially unstable with tax credits.

So yes, it irks me when I see what you're talking about and I've said it in other threads. If your financial house isn't in order, you have no business buying puppies or intentionally procreating.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:25 pm

I think another contributing factor is the backyard breeder selling cheap pups.

We do ask a lot of questions and for at least two references, one of which must be a vet, which we check. But we have found when they are paying $1,000+ for a pup, they are making a commitment.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:21 pm

As you know , often folks who can't afford a dog or find it "annoying" , dump the dog. They get picked up by Animal Control here with no collar/ no ID. Gee , I wonder how they all lose their collars?
I've had two rescues and had to both down after 2 years of giving it my best effort- fear biter and a vicious dog.

and you wonder why many end up as fear biters and afraid of people?

the latest in London:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/07/pupp ... -vacation/

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:37 pm

I have never reacues an animal before but dont they have any interview process/home inspection and things like that. I would imagine alot of good breederd would ask question. Mine asked my yard size, vets name, number of children and ages, if i was hunting the dog, what the excersize schedule was. Seemed like they were sincere in placing the dogs witn good people.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:48 pm

I could not agree with you more Gertie! We have an emergency fund for our dogs alone (for emergencies - NOT for routine stuff - that is in a sinking fund). We totally had to scrape money together for the Pointer when she had Norcardia (seed awn infection) and had to have part of a lung removed and almost died twice during that episode. It cost us more than buying our used Tahoe. We borrowed money (which we do not believe in) - but said at the time - never again. Our emergency dog fund is pretty solid now!

You make choices in life. We choose to spend our money on our pups because that IS our hobby/free time. We don't have cable or satellite and we don't often do any vacation that doesn't involve hunting or field trialing. If we had kids, we likely wouldn't have the luxury to make some of the choices we have - but we sure would have always had an emergency fund. Our Vizsla breeder was super picky, the GSP breeder not so much, the Pointer pup's breeder knew me and knew what I had to offer. I think a lot of breeders just either don't know better or just don't really care where the pups go.

Responsible breeders plus responsible owners - it's a hard combination to come by!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re:

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:58 pm

getzapped wrote:I have never reacues an animal before but dont they have any interview process/home inspection and things like that. I would imagine alot of good breederd would ask question. Mine asked my yard size, vets name, number of children and ages, if i was hunting the dog, what the excersize schedule was. Seemed like they were sincere in placing the dogs witn good people.
In my city , they are SO GLAD to have someone with dog experience want to rescue, that they ask no questions. Sad. $200.00 and oh yes - no returns. :roll:

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:47 pm

Excellent post that will never be read by those who truly need to heed the wisdom it expresses. We live in a world where people have children they cant afford to feed, buy cars they cant afford to pay insurance on, or houses they cant afford to keep up. Of course we are gonna continue to have people who buy dogs without ever fully considering the possible financial commitment they are making.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:20 pm

I think the generalizations that you are making are crazy. Yes, it takes a certain amount of income to pay for dog food and basic veterinary expenses. I don't think, however, that those people below a certain income level are worse dog/pet owners in general. Back in the late eighties through early nineties, I bred several litters of labs. They were from hunting lines, but the vast majority went to pet homes. I interviewed prospective owners and spent a lot of time talking people out of buying puppies. A hand full of times, I was contacted by people who had bought a puppy from me who no longer had time for the dog or their kids had lost interest, etc... I would say that each of these people were at average, to above average income.

I am not wealthy by any means, but I can afford my dogs and their care. I still understand, however, that they are dogs. I have been pretty lucky and have not had any really major health issues with my dogs. If I ever get in the situation where one of my dogs is in a life or death situation and the answer is a surgery or treatment that will cost a few thousand dollars, I'm going to pat them on the head, say a little prayer, and tell them good bye. I won't do this because I can't afford the bill, I will do it because I have my priorities in order.

DougB

Re:

Post by DougB » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:35 pm

getzapped wrote:I have never reacues an animal before but dont they have any interview process/home inspection and things like that. I would imagine alot of good breederd would ask question. Mine asked my yard size, vets name, number of children and ages, if i was hunting the dog, what the excersize schedule was. Seemed like they were sincere in placing the dogs witn good people.
Rescues vary more than dogs or people do. Some are run very professionally. with a real business plan and a board of directors. Some are by people who mean well, but don't have a clue about dogs or people. There is a rescue, dogs and cats, run by a group of vegans who feed their rescues a vegan diet. That is just plain scary, but they have a neat web site. Breeders run the same way. Some are really concerned about the pups future. Others see a few dollars. The good rescues check you out-their concern is the animals welfare. Some seem to believe you are renting their dog, so check the contract first. A few seem to think they can take the animal back if your kennel doesn't meet their standards on an annual inspection. I have no idea how many people disappear every year attempting to take back a dog. Some will tell you what you can and can not do with the dog. Hunting is frequently a no-no, as is using a dog house. Read what you sign. Small town rescues seem more concerned with getting a dog into a family and seem to have lower fees, but dogs also seem to get euthed faster in small towns.

In a serious emergency, where you just don't have the money, some vets and/or rescues will take the dog and heal it. You have to surrender the dog and they place it with someone else. Heartwarming, but the dog does survive and your finances don't get destroyed.

mask

Post by mask » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:49 pm

If rescues and shelters are full maybe there are just to many dogs being bred. Right now in the shelter nearest me there are 7 gsp, 4 labs, 2 brits, and 1 English setter.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:13 pm

I never new that. I always thought shelters were somewhat of a govt licensed organization. I never thought that it could just be a person placing animals.

codym

Post by codym » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:57 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:You'll find the same mindset with people having kids.

If you can't provide your child with food, quality care, a stable home life (I'm not even talking about 2 parents but a long term home), early educational opportunities, and a quality public school or private education, why are you breeding?

Quite frankly, our tax policy is backwards with regards to children. It should encourage the fanatically stable to procreate and not permanently reward the financially unstable with tax credits.

So yes, it irks me when I see what you're talking about and I've said it in other threads. If your financial house isn't in order, you have no business buying puppies or intentionally procreating.

Great post. I work with delinquent juveniles and 99.9% the problems start and end with poor parenting.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:52 am

I think Vet costs are shocking despite your income level. Pet insurance can help with catastrophic incidences but then again I think a side pet emergency fund is darn near equal too if not better than insurance.. Hard to judge an individuals circumstances...

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:02 am

Im lucky with my vet. They have a wellness plan. 30 a month and everything is covered. All vaccines. 2 bloodworks a year and 1 emergency visit. Surguries arent covered. Ver bills are expensive, especially if you have pup that has to go frequently.