World Championships ?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

World Championships ?

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:50 pm

I have recently heard that for the first time Britain is sending an official team of pointing dogs to this years World Championships to be held in Serbia in October. I think this event is maybe restricted to pointers and setters but I could be wrong.
My question is this.......How can this trial be called a World Championship if dogs from America and Canada are not competing ? I am aware that we expect different things from our pointing dogs according to which side of the Pond we live on but it seems a bit cheeky to call this event a " World Championships" unless , of course, some of you are competing ?

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: World Championships ?

Post by polmaise » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:06 pm

They haven't decided between the World series or the Superbowl yet ! :lol:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Without a level playing field, it wouldn't work. Folk's over there get one look at what our dog's do and they might faint. Would be great if there was some type of world standard that everyone could agree on. Wish I could go see some trials over there, may be an eye opener. I think that your rule's go more in line with what is expected of a hunting dog. Our's aren't necessarily that way. A lot I like about what it is here but also some thing's I don't think would suit a bird hunter. We have a number of different venue's, if you can't do one, keep looking around, you'll find one you can.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:24 pm

It was attempted a few years ago with Retrievers , some very well known American and Canadian's came over to the UK , put on a good show, but the differences were in the favour of the home venue. Mind you, if the rules and what is expected before you enter are trained for then there should be no reason to have a level playing field :wink: .Mind You, If the UK were to send a team state side then probably a 3 year training program could be required :lol:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:03 pm

There is such a vast difference in the manner in which pointing dogs are used across the world dependent on the type of terrain, the type of birds pursued and the type of people doing the work that having a "World" Championship is pointless and meaningless.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:58 pm

polmaise wrote:It was attempted a few years ago with Retrievers , some very well known American and Canadian's came over to the UK , put on a good show, but the differences were in the favour of the home venue. Mind you, if the rules and what is expected before you enter are trained for then there should be no reason to have a level playing field :wink: . Mind you, If the UK were to send a team state side then probably a 3 year training program could be required :lol:
:mrgreen: √ Robert, the flip side is y'all's pointing dogs happen to be a h :twisted: lluva lot more highly trained for their jobs than ours - flushing on command, the drop, the retrieve of shot birds in many cases. Still, Scott got it right with the pointlessness of it all for such a "world championship." But there's rumour that we may have a retriever "Ashes" series with Oz someday - their field trials bearing some semblance to our own.

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:05 pm

crackerd wrote:" But there's rumour that we may have a retriever "Ashes" series with Oz someday - their field trials bearing some semblance to our own.

MG
It's one of the possibilities on my ''move'' :wink: .

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:53 pm

Trekmoor wrote:...seems a bit cheeky to call this event a " World Championships" unless , of course, some of you are competing ?
Bill, if you were making book on who might "win" this world championship, in re Robt.'s alluding to "the home venue" for such a competition, there's another consideration that favors the Europeans. With respect to our S'African "crooner" chum, the Yanks singing to their pointers in trials pales next to people who carry their tunes at places like La Scala and oh, Glyndebourne or Salzburg. "Home on the Range" hasn't got a chance...

MG

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:42 am

I have seen occasional references to "singing out" and I find the thought of singing to dogs as they hunt amusing . I imagine myself walking over a moor belting out "The Ball of Kirriemuir" with the judges etc. joining in with the chorus ! :lol: I don't know if you are acquainted with that song but I am not going to type it out ......my wife is in the room and I'd get a scud on the lug.

I'd like to see that "World Championship." I've been trying to find out if it only applies to pointers and setters or if the versatiles are included . The Serbs and some of their near neighbours have a reputation for turning out some really good versatiles.

Bill T.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:44 am

Bill, got you pegged as more of a "Mull of Kintyre" man - though no doubt your vocal versatility afield would shine through at the "World Championships" as a modern-day Harry Lauder, too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qU75Xgmlww

MG

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:35 am

Trekmoor wrote:I have recently heard that for the first time Britain is sending an official team of pointing dogs to this years World Championships to be held in Serbia in October. I think this event is maybe restricted to pointers and setters but I could be wrong.
My question is this.......How can this trial be called a World Championship if dogs from America and Canada are not competing ? I am aware that we expect different things from our pointing dogs according to which side of the Pond we live on but it seems a bit cheeky to call this event a " World Championships" unless , of course, some of you are competing ?

Bill T.
Bill, haven't you heard of "World Series Baseball"?
how many countries are involved in that?

Pointer and Setter field trial rules are pretty much the same world wide bar the US and Canada
So calling it a World Championship ? Why not?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:31 am

You're right ! I have heard of World Series Baseball.......what a cheek them there folk over the pond have got ! :lol:

In Britain we have cricket and I detest it ! It is just about the ultimate in sporting boredom for me. I'd rather play or watch a blow football match than watch cricket. I'm not much of a sports fan really. I like various kinds of shooting and hunting, all kinds of fishing and a bit of martial arts ...... I'm a bit on the bloodthirsty side ! If I was young again I think I'd have a go at cage fighting ......but probably only once !

I still haven't found out if the World Pointing Championships include all pointing breeds or just pointers and setters. Nor do I know if the game found would be shot over the dogs.

I had my Brittany out yesterday evening mainly just to get her a bit fitter. While I was out there I had a chance meeting with two hunters working a GSP, a vizsla and a Brittany. What fascinated me was that their chosen sport is bird of prey stuff and they were working their dogs to find hares and foxes for their golden eagles. We had a fairly long blether and I will watching their eagles at work once the cover dies back a bit. I'm looking forward to that.
Dunno what that has got to do with the World Championship Pointer event though ? I'll sign off now before I blether any more ! :roll:

Bill T.