Foster Dog Frustration

Gertie

Foster Dog Frustration

Post by Gertie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:51 am

A couple of years ago I fostered a real nice young male setter. He had been purchased as a pup from a notoriously irresponsible back-yard breeder in the area (I've fostered/re-homed several of this guy's dogs... another story :roll: ) by a 19 year old kid who promptly got a job in ND and dumped the dog on his grandma. She had him about a year and kept him in the garage most of the time. I took him after a friend told me he was being advertised as an "un-neutered male" for free on craigslist (recipe for disaster for the dog). When I got him he had no training, didn't even know his own name, and was a nightmare to catch once he was turned loose off leash. I had him for about 2 months and had him recalling by whistle and coming along in basic obedience before I found what I thought was a good home for him. I was told by his new owner that he planned to train him to hunt, that he'd see to it that he got daily exercise, and that he would be an indoor family pet. Sounded like a good match. Well, the first thing that happened was the guy lost the dog hunting two months after he got him and he was thought to be dead. That was in September. The dog was found in March and had spent the entire winter fending for himself in the mountains near the Wyoming/Idaho border. It's absolutely amazing that he survived that long. A local rancher saw him eating a road-killed deer on a game cam and was finally able to catch him and call the number on his collar (still the same collar with my number on it). Since then the guy hasn't dared to turn him loose so he stays in the yard/house all day. Now I just found out that the house he is living in is a rental (he told me he owned the place when I inquired during the screening process) and that they are moving and the new house doesn't allow dogs. My sister lives in the same town as this guy and his wife posted the dog on a Facebook yard sale site for a $100 "re-homing" fee. We had an agreement that if he was unable, for any reason, to keep the dog that they would contact me and I would come and get him. I contacted both he and his wife immediately after I learned of the situation and I'm getting the run-around. I'm just about pissed enough to hop in the car and drive the 10 hours to go get him. So far, I haven't expressed my frustrations to these folks and I'm a bit confused as to why I'm having a hard time getting them to return a call or respond to an email. I would hate to think that after all this that they are more concerned about the re-homing fee than they are about doing right by the dog. I guess I should just offer to pay them their $100 and go get him. People suck.

Munster

Re: Foster Dog Frustration

Post by Munster » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

The Re-homing fee" is getting to be.......make that......is a played out term for a dog being for sale. Frustrating.

It is just how people are and you cant change it. You just might have to step up the screening process? Ask for a copy of the mortgage etc. If they dont want to show it, then they dont want the dog bad enough.

mask

Post by mask » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:35 pm

You did the best you could and there may not be anymore you can do. There are to many dogs being bred. So maybe the thing to do is breed fewer but better dogs. It is to late to try and breed better people the folks you dealt with in this case proves that. Good for you for making the effort in this dogs behalf.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Munster wrote:You just might have to step up the screening process? Ask for a copy of the mortgage etc. If they dont want to show it, then they dont want the dog bad enough.
This dog was the first one I fostered and I did it on my own without an affiliation with a rescue group so I was pretty naive as far as screening. Trust me, the families I have adopted dogs that I have fostered to since have been much more thoroughly evaluated. These days I visit the home with one of my dogs and interview the family and any pets that they have. I now also ask:

1) Do you own your home?
2) Where will the dog be during the day?
3) Where will he/she sleep at night?
4) Who is your vet and may I contact them for a reference?
5) How will you ensure that the dog gets an adequate amount of exercise?
6) Can you demonstrate that you have the means to care for the dog if he/she becomes injured or sick?
7) What is your dog training experience? If limited, are you willing to seek professional guidance for issues you cannot resolve yourself?
8 ) Will this dog be a hunting dog, family pet, or both?
9) What will you do with the dog when you go out of town?
10) What will you do with the dog if you have to move?
11) What will you do if your family situation changes? (i.e. have a child, separate from partner, etc.)
12) Can you provide references that would be willing to attest to your ability to be a good pet owner?
13) Are you willing to sign a document that if, for any reason, in the future you need to re-home the dog you will surrender the dog back to me?

I know that to some of you a lot of these questions might sound a bit over-the-top and even intrusive but, to me, when I commit to fostering a dog I am willing to hold out for as long as it takes to find the right place. I'm sure if folks can't adequately answer these questions to my satisfaction then they'll be able to get a dog somewhere else but it won't be a dog that I have a personal stake in.

DougB

Post by DougB » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Question 13 is your answer. Paper lasts longer than a persons memory and gives you something to wave in a persons face when things go south.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:37 pm

I am not sure I understand why a person wanting to take an unwanted dog is subject to so much more than a person buying a pup. I tried to take a couple over the years but I never qualified for the tremendous responsibility of caring for the dog. I lost out on a Brit because I hunted. Lost out because my house yard isn't fenced. Lost out on one when I mention a had a nice kennel and run I used occasionally. Just seems no one that professes their great desire to find homes for these unwanted dogs are trying as hard as they can to not let anyone have them.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:26 pm

Ezzy, that's too bad. I ask the hunting question because if the dog shows an interest in birds then I would prefer that it go to a hunting home. I know a lot of the rescue places don't like hunting. Clearly not the case here. I want to know that the dog is going to have a good home that's a good fit and won't wind up on the end of a chain in a dirt yard for the rest of its life. I don't require perfection or wealth. Just a genuine person with good intentions and the means to take care of a dog based on reasonable expectations. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that like the idea of a dog more than the reality of a dog and I have every intention of weeding them out.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:51 am

ezzy333 wrote:I am not sure I understand why a person wanting to take an unwanted dog is subject to so much more than a person buying a pup. I tried to take a couple over the years but I never qualified for the tremendous responsibility of caring for the dog. I lost out on a Brit because I hunted. Lost out because my house yard isn't fenced. Lost out on one when I mention a had a nice kennel and run I used occasionally. Just seems no one that professes their great desire to find homes for these unwanted dogs are trying as hard as they can to not let anyone have them.
You sell a pup, you get to set the rules. Person placing a rescue does the same. Their dog, their rules. Usually, their first concern is the welfare of the dog, not the happiness of any owner. They don't let just anyone have a dog. There are rescues that cater to hunters. From observation, small town rescues have lower prices and fewer restrictions on owners. May be a budget thing, as these rescues tend to time out dogs faster. Not saying I agree with some of their rules, but again, their dogs, their rules. Breeders also are selective, just different rules. My pup was refused to a couple because the breeder didn't think they would hunt the pup-because they were an older couple. Probably younger than me, and I have hunted him, and am really looking forward to this fall.

This one is a little extreme:
http://www.stmartinsrescue.org

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:28 am

it may be to late with this dog .maybe next time put it in writing both party's sing you like to think you can take people at there word an most people you can .but the contract is for those you cant

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:34 am

#6 could be a killer. I just had a weed seed taken out of stormy's neck, $480! That would be inexpensive compared to some of the thing's that can go wrong. A pup I sold years ago, late 80's, hurt itself out running and the guy that had him spent $1000 to get him fixed. I admire that but I couldn't afford it. For me, the problem is that the cost of some of these thing's today get's way more than a whole lot of people can afford, that doesn't make them a bad owner! That doesn't mean the dog will get a bad home either! If restriction's get to high, the chances of finding a good home go down for no other reason that income in the new home. If the new home can only afford a store brand dog food, will that disqualify them? For the vast part of my life my dog's have been fed store bought food, like available in a grocery store, price required that from me. Don't make restriction's so over bearing that a good home can't take the dog. There are dog's that are gonna get into all kinds of situations where they may have to be put down, either as a nice thing for the dog or simply because a family doesn't have the money a huge vet bill will run. But the odds are that most dog's won't get into that situation, those terribly expensive problems are not all that common. By making the requirement's to strict, you may actually deprive a dog of a very good home. bad thing about dog's and especially puppy's is that one that goes to a bad home is never discovered until to late! I gave a springer pup to a brother years ago, worst mistake I ever made! He would have answered the right answer to all your question's but it takes more than that to give a dog a good home! I don't even talk to that brother anymore!

I think the best requirement in your list is #13. A good home should not have a problem signing an agreement about the welfare of the dog concerning how it's kept and if they had to let it go, sending it back to you or at least notifying you what is happening.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:40 pm

Don, I totally get what you're saying. I'm talking about "reasonable" here. I get that things come up (cancer, major surgeries, etc.) that can cost thousands and that's not my expectation. I'm talking normal stuff like vaccines, regular check-ups, illnesses and injuries similar to what you just had to deal with, etc. I don't ask what food they will feed. That's their business and I'm assuming that if the dog isn't doing well and performing as they would like then that's something they can monkey with (or look on this forum to get advice :wink: :lol: :wink: ). I realize my rules sound strict but I'm pretty reasonable and the discussion and the person's attitude are what is really important.

Just an fyi, if someone ever does get in a fix with a vet bill that they don't have the cash for, the vet doesn't take payments, and they really want to do what is necessary to avoid putting a dog down, there is "Care Credit" (http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/). I realize that it's far from ideal, but might be helpful to some that are in a bind.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Gertie wrote:Don, I totally get what you're saying. I'm talking about "reasonable" here. I get that things come up (cancer, major surgeries, etc.) that can cost thousands and that's not my expectation. I'm talking normal stuff like vaccines, regular check-ups, illnesses and injuries similar to what you just had to deal with, etc. I don't ask what food they will feed. That's their business and I'm assuming that if the dog isn't doing well and performing as they would like then that's something they can monkey with (or look on this forum to get advice :wink: :lol: :wink: ). I realize my rules sound strict but I'm pretty reasonable and the discussion and the person's attitude are what is really important.

Just an fyi, if someone ever does get in a fix with a vet bill that they don't have the cash for, the vet doesn't take payments, and they really want to do what is necessary to avoid putting a dog down, there is "Care Credit" (http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/). I realize that it's far from ideal, but might be helpful to some that are in a bind.
I am not finding fault with your thoughts but I do want you to think about the fact that what you call reasonable may not be thought of the same way by others. For instance, Me, my kids, and my dogs did not have regular checkups in the sense I think you are thinking. Of course I grew up in the time when regular checkups just didn't happen. My dogs have always had the shots they need as puppies and after that they are through with shots other than rabies which they get every three years. And that is there only trips to the vets office as I can't think of a more likely place to pick up diseases than there. But regardless of that, what would you consider enough to cover responsible ownership? And how much stock would you place on the accuracy of the answers you would get from anyone. In my mind a loving home with no money is far better than any life the dog would have any place else and I have no idea how you measure the love anyone has to offer, either from the owner's or the dog.

I do agree with the basic premis of finding a dog a good home but my disagreement is the elements that make it a good home is something that can't be measured by any questionnaire. I look often of pictures of our service men and women in the Middle East with a mutt they have provided for and the one thing I see in every case is nothing more than love. Income, fence, vet care, or anything else doesn't make an iota of difference to either the dog or the person.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:24 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Gertie wrote:Don, I totally get what you're saying. I'm talking about "reasonable" here. I get that things come up (cancer, major surgeries, etc.) that can cost thousands and that's not my expectation. I'm talking normal stuff like vaccines, regular check-ups, illnesses and injuries similar to what you just had to deal with, etc. I don't ask what food they will feed. That's their business and I'm assuming that if the dog isn't doing well and performing as they would like then that's something they can monkey with (or look on this forum to get advice :wink: :lol: :wink: ). I realize my rules sound strict but I'm pretty reasonable and the discussion and the person's attitude are what is really important.

I am not finding fault with your thoughts but I do want you to think about the fact that what you call reasonable may not be thought of the same way by others. For instance, Me, my kids, and my dogs did not have regular checkups in the sense I think you are thinking. Of course I grew up in the time when regular checkups just didn't happen. My dogs have always had the shots they need as puppies and after that they are through with shots other than rabies which they get every three years. And that is there only trips to the vets office as I can't think of a more likely place to pick up diseases than there. But regardless of that, what would you consider enough to cover responsible ownership? And how much stock would you place on the accuracy of the answers you would get from anyone. In my mind a loving home with no money is far better than any life the dog would have any place else and I have no idea how you measure the love anyone has to offer, either from the owner's or the dog.

I do agree with the basic premis of finding a dog a good home but my disagreement is the elements that make it a good home is something that can't be measured by any questionnaire. I look often of pictures of our service men and women in the Middle East with a mutt they have provided for and the one thing I see in every case is nothing more than love. Income, fence, vet care, or anything else makes an iota of difference to either the dog or the person.
Amen brother.....