grouse hunting in northern Wisconsin. help!

natel24

grouse hunting in northern Wisconsin. help!

Post by natel24 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:20 pm

Last year was supposed to be my first time hunting grouse up north with my pup but that all fell through. This year I have saved the vacation days and I'm ready to plan a trip. But what I need is someone to point me in the right direction. So if anyone has advice on general areas to go, where to stay, possible guides, etc... that would be great. Even if someone wouldn't mind taking a "fib" like me out one day that would be awesome. I have never been grouse hunting so any info would help. Thanks

bobman

Re: grouse hunting in northern Wisconsin. help!

Post by bobman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:56 pm

much of the public land in Wisconsin is county land it's better hunting because it gets logged so pick and area and get the county land maps
avoid the wolf pack home ranges that info is available from the DNR

good luck have fun

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:17 pm

natel24 wrote:Last year was supposed to be my first time hunting grouse up north with my pup but that all fell through. This year I have saved the vacation days and I'm ready to plan a trip. But what I need is someone to point me in the right direction. So if anyone has advice on general areas to go, where to stay, possible guides, etc... that would be great. Even if someone wouldn't mind taking a "fib" like me out one day that would be awesome. I have never been grouse hunting so any info would help. Thanks

I don't have a dog this season, and really want to get out. I own an 80 that connects to 400 acres of landlocked but open to the public land. Located West of Tomahawk. I don't get on here all that much lately, but if you are interested, I would take you out. I work third shift and usually head up north Friday mornings after I am done with work. Shoot me a PM, maybe we can work something out.

Also: the land is listed for sale if you would want your own place to hunt. :)

I can deal with you being a FIB....just leave the blackhawks and bears gear at home! Haha!

brianb

Post by brianb » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:52 am

Oneida county has a bunch of county hunting land. Here is a nice map showing aspen age on this land:

http://www.co.oneida.wi.gov/docview.asp ... &locid=135

Also a lot of WI DNR land in Oneida county

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/forestlandowner ... icapp.html

The ticks are thick up there. Keep an eye out for porcupines. And wolves.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:46 am

Minnesota or Michigan have much better grouse hunting than wisconsin!

jczv

Post by jczv » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:39 pm

Sounds like you have a decent offer. Some other info from my experience.

When I knew nothing (I now know slight more then nothing) I got some maps from Northwnd enterprises (https://www.northwnd.com/) which really helped me get started. You can find the info elsewhere but it's nicely prepared either in large map books or SD cards you can put in a garmin. I personally liked the tomahawk, rhinelander area to get started as there's lots of county land in every direction.

Other stuff: make sure you have a GPS and backup compass, you'll want to schedule after the leaves start falling but before the snow closes a lot of the county roads, I like days inn if there's one in the area as being cheap, dog friendly and clean enough.

Finally if you don't have one a garmin astro or similar I found it gave a piece of mind even with my moderately ranging dog (and much more so on the larger running one), on windy days where you can't hear a bell, late in the day when you can't find your dog (on point somewhere, or caught in a snare which has happened to me twice) or if a dog is getting to close to a road or gets turned around now running in the wrong direction.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:46 pm

If you have a Gps buy,the Hunt gps chip that covers Wisconsin It will show you where your at and all the property line private or public,