Mushroom poisoning

Gertie

Mushroom poisoning

Post by Gertie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:09 pm

I just had a major scare. Was taking myself and the dogs for a run and Gert started vomiting. Kept vomiting until she was dry-heaving and was staggering around looking "shocky". I took her over to the river and she just stood in it with a blank look and wouldn't move. I couldn't get her to walk so I had to throw her over my shoulders and pack her over a mile back to the rig. Took her temp and it was fine, heart rate was fine but she was definitely not ok. Went to vet and they did X-rays and blood work. X-rays indicated some air in the stomach (not surprising considering how much dry-heaving she had been doing) but liver levels were abnormal and vet suspected mushrooms. There was another dog in there that was in critical condition for the same thing. They treated her with an IV for dehydration, anti-nausea meds, and liver medication that she will be on for a month. Got her home and went out back and sure enough, mushrooms in the yard and some looked recently grazed. $475 later and some major stress on my part and I guess we're going to be ok. Just a heads up for the rest of you, check for mushrooms in your grass and get them pulled as soon as you see them.

DudeRN

Re: Mushroom poisoning

Post by DudeRN » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:30 pm

wow, that is scary. Glad it turned out okay, even though your wallet took a hit. thanks for the heads up!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:55 pm

Glad all looks good. The vet was reasonable for that service, sounds like a good one.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:44 am

If the poisonous mushrooms are in your yard...they WILL come back unless you kill them. Mushrooms are a fungus and they live underground. The mushroom you see is only the very top of the animal. They can be very difficult to eradicate.

I suggest you get a quality fungicide, treat you entire lawn with it, let it sit for a day or two, and then water it in real well, before you let the dog run on it. The fungicide has to get down into the soil where the bulk of the fungus lives.

I would re-treat in the spring as well.

RayG

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Ray, You read my mind. I did exactly what you suggested first thing this morning. This will not happen again here.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:05 pm

Just a word of warning. You did the right thing but the chances of completely ridding the area of any fungus is pretty remote. Given the warmth and moisture like you have had and they may be back. Just be aware and vigilant. To actual kill everything in the soil is a major undertaking. Many potato farmers do it since potato scab and other fungus can be a problem but it is an expensive process.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:46 pm

When my pup was having allergy symptoms, I suspected the mushrooms in the backyard. As mentioned, complete removal can be quite the undertaking depending on the source.

Just curious, but were you able to figure out what species of shrooms they were?

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:26 pm

I don't know what they are but I bagged up a couple and I have a friend that is a mycologist that is coming over for dinner tomorrow and should be able to id them.