Age for picking a pup

RockyDD

Age for picking a pup

Post by RockyDD » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:15 pm

I would like to know if it is possible to pick a pup from a litter that is only 3-4 weeks old. It seems to me to be too early to tell much about its personality or coat. I have always picked mine at eight weeks or later and like to do a few things like wing on a string. Three weeks seems like it is too soon to tell much but I have never seen a litter that young so maybe I am wrong.

deseeker

Re: Age for picking a pup

Post by deseeker » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:47 pm

You can't tell anything about a 3 to 4 week old puppy. Sounds more like the litter owner is more worried about getting rid of pups & not letting the future owners see each pups individual traits--boldness, personality, place in pecking order, etc. :roll:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:55 pm

I can't imagine taking a puppy out of a litter that young or anyone that would let one go that young.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:14 pm

He said pick a pup. Doubt that means take home a pup.
Last edited by greg jacobs on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:42 pm

If it's from a breeding you like, sure! Find the color you like, turn it over, make sure it has the "equipment" you want, and you got it.

I think that even at 8 weeks, it's still a crapshoot.

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:51 pm

I always feel 7 to 12 weeks is a good time to evaluate a litter! The breeder should be able to shed some insight into the Pup personalities. They have time to observe the pups as to which pups eat first (dominance), explore (independence), & Play (social standing). How they react to new situations? There are also some standard puppy tests that can help you evaluate personality! Do a search & I believe you'll find it!