West coast folks

llewellinsetter

West coast folks

Post by llewellinsetter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:51 am

The wife and I are moving out to Los Angles, Im hoping to find a few folks on here that would be wiling to help me find a place to hunt(NOT LOOKING FOR YOUR HONEY HOLE:)) just need help finding some public land or something like that. I have a great dog just need a place to run him!

Cam and Bruno
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: West coast folks

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:24 am

Looks like a good chance of plugging the barrel of the gun with mud and blowing it up and possibly you too the next time you shoot it. One of the first lessons taught is do not put the end of the barrel on the ground ever.

Ezzy

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:28 am

ezzy333 wrote:Looks like a good chance of plugging the barrel of the gun with mud and blowing it up and possibly you too the next time you shoot it. One of the first lessons taught is do not put the end of the barrel on the ground ever.

Ezzy
Ezzy that is a lesson I learned as a lad also, the barrel is resting (unloaded) on the toe of my boot. I just happen to have large feet. :o

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 am

Generally speaking, in the local mts., the big game hunting (lots of deer and loaded with black bears) is way better than the upland bird hunting.

However, around town, it is almost exclusively a valley quail or mountain quail hunt. We have a couple of decent duck hunts in the Inland empire but opportunity is limited or expensive. However, within 3 hours, we have very good quail, chukar, goose, and dove hunting. We have a decent duck hunt (we have good numbers just lacking mallards). If you cross into Mexico, it just gets turned up. You have a world class wild pheasant, quail, and dove hunt.

My first move would be to subscribe to Western Birds. Pricey but worth every nickle. My second would be to join your local quail unlimited or quail forever chapter.

Anyway, there are a few of us on here but a guy is more likely to take you to a spot than tell you a spot. Loose lips cause spots to get hammered hard.

Btw, we also have world class offshore fishing especially right now with El Nino (they're catching tuna off of kayaks for christsakes). Also, extraordinary Mexican and Asian food.

Oh yea,welcome to Kalifornia.

Ps. If you are moving to LA proper, they just passed a retroactive high capacity magazine ban.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:31 pm

llewellinsetter wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Looks like a good chance of plugging the barrel of the gun with mud and blowing it up and possibly you too the next time you shoot it. One of the first lessons taught is do not put the end of the barrel on the ground ever.

Ezzy
Ezzy that is a lesson I learned as a lad also, the barrel is resting (unloaded) on the toe of my boot. I just happen to have large feet. :o
Large feet and you were wearing clown shoes. The barrel tip is more than half the barrel length from the front edge of your ancle. It is not a good plan to handle an unloaded gun differently than a loaded one; the mantra, treat all guns as though loaded. Never point the gun at something you are not willing to shoot. Ezzy was trying to help, me, I just would never hunt with you.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:13 pm

I wouldn't care to hunt around there. First bad thing is the heat! Then most the country a long way to the south and east is full of cactus. Let a pointer run out there one time. Came in limping and full of needle's. If you go south, a place I hung out in a couple days waiting for a load out. I think it was called Fraiser Park, west out of Gorman. Didn't have a dog with me but pretty nice looking country. Up 395 out of San Bernadino is some nice looking country but I think it's mostly private. may be some public land you get up and past Ridgecrest. Really pretty going up that way.

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Neil I ware a size 14.5. So clown shoes are close. I don't disagree with treating every gun like it's loaded, I grew up in a family of Marines, Air Force and policemen. I know how to handle a weapon, and I would wager a guess that in some point in time you have mis handled a gun or any weapon for that matter, I won't disagree that my handling of my shotgun was wrong and i won't do it again. I also was not tryin to question ezzy, just offering an explanation to what he saw, I often take his advice and wisdom to heart he has an unbelievable amount of experience and I respect that, I'm not looking to start an argument!

rocksteady1

Post by rocksteady1 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:55 pm

Come up north a bit into central california around like Fresno I think you might have a better look.

And for the record who cares what you do with your gun around your dog. If those two clowns dont want to hunt with you maybe they shouldnt invite themselves.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:29 pm

rocksteady1 wrote:Come up north a bit into central california around like Fresno I think you might have a better look.

And for the record who cares what you do with your gun around your dog. If those two clowns dont want to hunt with you maybe they shouldnt invite themselves.
Just wondering who the two clowns are that invited themselves. I looked back and can't find it anywhere.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:22 pm

quail forever meets near Santa Clarita, 3rd Wednesday of the month. Nstra So. Cal is having a trial near Gorman Oct 10-11 Lots of good LA folks to meet there. Lots of public land in the Owens Valley Lone Pine to Bishop, very challenging though. Duck, quail and chucker

rocksteady1

Post by rocksteady1 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:46 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
rocksteady1 wrote:Come up north a bit into central california around like Fresno I think you might have a better look.

Just wondering who the two clowns are that invited themselves. I looked back and can't find it anywhere.

Oh, looks like only one of you invited himself. While the other offers unsolicited advice. Both are faux pas. The man comes on looking for some worth while advice and you belittle his technique. He posts a picture sharing his passions in an effort to demonstrate his eagerness to make new friends in a new location and you take it as unrefutable evidence when it is clearly inconclusive.

You should be ashamed. Your right, you didn't invite yourself, but you are a clown.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:17 am

rocksteady1 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Oh, looks like only one of you invited himself. While the other offers unsolicited advice. Both are faux pas. The man comes on looking for some worth while advice and you belittle his technique. He posts a picture sharing his passions in an effort to demonstrate his eagerness to make new friends in a new location and you take it as unrefutable evidence when it is clearly inconclusive.

You should be ashamed. Your right, you didn't invite yourself, but you are a clown.
It is too bad when we have people who claim to be hunters get upset when someone shows concern for safety issues. That said I would guess that I will continue to be a clown as I enjoy it a lot more than being stupid. Being a clown is fixable while being stupid seldom is. Hope you are one of the few who recovers. So now get back to the issue at hand and forget the personal insults as they have little effect on any one but you.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:43 am

Ezzy, did you really just type all that to say "you're stupid"? I know you didn't launch the first attack, but you're the moderator. You've shut down threads for less. I'm not saying I'm innocent either, but you're the moderator.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:34 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Ezzy, did you really just type all that to say "you're stupid"? I know you didn't launch the first attack, but you're the moderator. You've shut down threads for less. I'm not saying I'm innocent either, but you're the moderator.
Good point

rocksteady1

Post by rocksteady1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 am

]

It is too bad when we have people who claim to be hunters get upset when someone shows concern for safety issues. That said I would guess that I will continue to be a clown as I enjoy it a lot more than being stupid. Being a clown is fixable while being stupid seldom is. Hope you are one of the few who recovers. So now get back to the issue at hand and forget the personal insults as they have little effect on any one but you.[/quote]

Calling some one a clown barely constitutes a personal insult these days but I understand your point. Regardless, the proof of his safety issues was extremely inconclusive. He even responds to your input in an apologetic way. For you to be a moderator where all you do is put someone down and offer nothing constructive it's disappointing. Go ahead contribute constructively. We are all waiting with bated breath.

Hunters as a whole are an ever diminishing group that receives extreme amounts of bad media and peer pressure to desist our passion. We should build each other up in an inclusive way. I challenge you to be better.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:34 pm

rocksteady1 wrote:]
It is too bad when we have people who claim to be hunters get upset when someone shows concern for safety issues. That said I would guess that I will continue to be a clown as I enjoy it a lot more than being stupid. Being a clown is fixable while being stupid seldom is. Hope you are one of the few who recovers. So now get back to the issue at hand and forget the personal insults as they have little effect on any one but you.
Calling some one a clown barely constitutes a personal insult these days but I understand your point. Regardless, the proof of his safety issues was extremely inconclusive. He even responds to your input in an apologetic way. For you to be a moderator where all you do is put someone down and offer nothing constructive it's disappointing. Go ahead contribute constructively. We are all waiting with bated breath.

Hunters as a whole are an ever diminishing group that receives extreme amounts of bad media and peer pressure to desist our passion. We should build each other up in an inclusive way. I challenge you to be better.
Go back and read it again. My put down was not directed at the OP who did respond positively and you will note I made no further comment to him since we both are on the same track. then we had someone else post and tell us that we were inviting our selves to hunt with the poster and we were just clowns or worse. If that is true I will continue to be a clown since I think safety is something we all should be concerned with and be willing to point it out to other people. However, as was pointed out, as a Moderator I should have done better. I just hope that doesn't men I should ignore it.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:25 pm

OP, you can go East to San Bernardino or North to Red Mountain. It is mostly Chukar and can be tough but is probably the closest to you. There is a pretty cheap "canned" hunt in Chino, CA if you just want to run your Dog. You can even do "clean ups" for less. (rpclub.com).

PS, as long as your gun isn't endangering me or someone else, I will hunt with you. :D

khaselow

Post by khaselow » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:01 pm

Cam,

Good luck with your move and hope you find good hunting in the West. Sorry I don't have advice about that area. Warm regards.

K

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:17 pm

Not form down there, but I've been invited several times to hunt the Mojave Preserve. Chukars, mainly, I believe. Maybe some day I'll accept. Good luck and lay in a good supply of salt for some of the more outspoken in the group.