New blank gun

DonF
GDF Junkie

New blank gun

Post by DonF » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:37 pm

I traded off my NEF blank gun some time back. Wasn't really using it much at all and the person I traded with needed a decent blank gun. Hard to find a used NEF these days and they were one great gun. well not having one got the better of me so I ordered a new Alphs 22 from Gun Dog supply and it got here today. Boy am I impressed! this thing is made as well as the old NEF and it has a swing out cylinder. I got that old NEF 20 some years ago and it is a great blank gun, it replaced the old H&R blank gun and was a better gun. I normally carry my blank gun in my rear pocket with a lanyard hooked to my belt loop. This gun is some what heavier so figured I'd use a holster. The thing fits in my old holster like it was made for it! My NEF was 20 some years old and new it ran about $250, this new alpha ran $200! Only thing I'm not crazy about is the blaze orange grips! I'll live with them!

marysburg

Re: New blank gun

Post by marysburg » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:36 pm

I've got the same one, and I love it. The orange grips are there so that when I miss putting in the holster, and drop it on the ground, I can still find it 10 minutes later when I realize that it is GONE......

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:21 am

DonF wrote:I traded off my NEF blank gun some time back. Wasn't really using it much at all and the person I traded with needed a decent blank gun. Hard to find a used NEF these days and they were one great gun. well not having one got the better of me so I ordered a new Alpha 22 from Gun Dog supply and it got here today. Boy am I impressed! this thing is made as well as the old NEF...
Wanna bet? Make that declaration after you've put 15-20,000 rounds through it in a few years' time and I'll take it as a valid testimonial. 'Til then, nothing's comparable out there to the late, great NEF.

MG

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:51 am

Love my alpha.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:26 am

Does NEF have a lifetime warranty that goes to an actual Gunsmith if needed (independent)?

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:49 pm

"Does" in present tense is moot for NEF - they don't make 'em anymore.

Never knew anybody who had one go bad, myself included. Knew plenty of people who lost parts - pins, cylinders - and NEF even when operating under the banner of H&R 1871 could always provide replacements at a reasonable price.

No track record of any blank gun manufacturer today comes close, nor been in business anywhere near long enough to come close to what NEF was.

But GunX, another blank gun manufacturer (and which made solely blank pistols, and which also went defunct in the last year) was a superior product to Alpha, as told by those who had used both - and who had used them for more than a handful of shots a month over planted birds.

MG

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:25 pm

I am not going to get caught up in an argument that makes no sense. NEF has an outstanding history but when a new product comes onto the market and experienced consumers say they are impressed with the quality of a new product I believe them even though there is no history yet. But it stands to reason with new and better technology and materials to work with a new piece of equipment has every possibility of out performing an older one. I will give you though that the quality of workmanship often seems to be lacking compared to older times, I at least, will take Don's word that it is as good as the older NEF. Granted, it will be a few years before we have historical data but if we can't try and use a newer piece till it has a history is only saying progress will be non-existent. Under those standards there never would have been a NEF.

Thanks for the review of a new product that I am sure there is a market for and people wanting to know what to buy.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:23 pm

If it ain't broke don't fix it .

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:40 pm

polmaise wrote:If it ain't broke don't fix it .
But, but Robt., being a "new product," it ain't had time to break yet... :mrgreen:

Actually, the Alpha's 10 years old and has a mixed record at best, even with "new technology." http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... ha-Pistols

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... -Alpha-209

Really, Ezzy, newer technology than what?, the derringers duelists used to carry? :wink:

Make sense?

MG

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:05 pm

crackerd wrote:
polmaise wrote:If it ain't broke don't fix it .
But, but Robt., being a "new product," it ain't had time to break yet... :mrgreen:

Actually, the Alpha's 10 years old and has a mixed record at best, even with "new technology." http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... ha-Pistols

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... -Alpha-209

Really, Ezzy, newer technology than what?, the derringers duelists used to carry? :wink:

Make sense?

MG
Do you know what a Derringer is? Not many used in duels. Never believed new is always better, but does not matter, we have what we have.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Deets

Post by Deets » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:29 pm

For $200 why not buy a cheap single action 22 LR pistol? Timing and quality should be as good as any blank pistol.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Deets wrote:For $200 why not buy a cheap single action 22 LR pistol? Timing and quality should be as good as any blank pistol.
Open barrel guns are not allowed in field trials.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Neil wrote:
Deets wrote:For $200 why not buy a cheap single action 22 LR pistol? Timing and quality should be as good as any blank pistol.
That is a easy fix......................Cj

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:36 pm

cjhills wrote:
Neil wrote:
That is a easy fix......................Cj
No, it is not, the rules read a "manufactured solid barrel", I just used short hand. Plus, plugging a barrel leaves no way for the gasses to escape.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:39 pm

crackerd wrote:
DonF wrote:I traded off my NEF blank gun some time back. Wasn't really using it much at all and the person I traded with needed a decent blank gun. Hard to find a used NEF these days and they were one great gun. well not having one got the better of me so I ordered a new Alpha 22 from Gun Dog supply and it got here today. Boy am I impressed! this thing is made as well as the old NEF...
Wanna bet? Make that declaration after you've put 15-20,000 rounds through it in a few years' time and I'll take it as a valid testimonial. 'Til then, nothing's comparable out there to the late, great NEF.

MG
How many rounds have you put through your Alpha?
Last edited by DonF on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Many ATF laws come into effect pertaining to transport, possession and transfer that don't apply to non-serial numbered guns. You cant even let someone borrow it legally without it being transferred through a dealer....You don't have to worry about those things with starter pistols. Altering a real shootable gun should be avoided at all costs.

I buy my 209 primers buy the case(s) and use it nearly daily for the past 7 years. I also don't do maintenance and have even had to go into water with my Alfa. I am well over 5 thousand rounds and it doesn't hurt that I worked with the Gunsmith who does the warranty work for them.

Deets

Post by Deets » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:58 pm

Neil wrote:
I don't field trial.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:26 am

Deets wrote:
Neil wrote:
I don't field trial.
Actually if your not field trialing that would work. I've got a S&W 22 handgun and have fired blanks in it. Problem is it has a 6" barrel that becomes a bit inconvenient as a training gun. But it would work.