Hunter's Dog

Neil
GDF Junkie

Hunter's Dog

Post by Neil » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:54 am

This is from a dear friend that has been active with Brittany rescue for 20 years. Her most recent project came from a self described hunter that had been abusing this sweet dog for years. I do not consider him a sportsman.
An update on Bess. She has whipworms, lots of whipworms. This could allow her to eat lots of food and still lose as much weight as she did. Her owner claimed he couldn't keep weight on her; well, a vet visit would have been warranted at that point. So she now has lots of dewormer, and we will watch her thrive after all those little buggers are dead. Bloodwork was sent out for analysis and will get the results of that tomorrow. Then on to planning for her HW treatment.
She is a tall, mature Brittany that weighs 18 pounds, so far she has been diagnosed with hookworms and heart worms, and half her normal body weight. She literally clings to her rescurer from fear of abandonment, bolts her food, but shows no food aggression. How any animal can endure such mistreatment and still show love toward humans demonstrates the unconditional devotion dogs give us.

mask

Re: Hunter's Dog

Post by mask » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:53 am

people that would treat any animal in that way are just taking up good air.

MGIII

Hunter's Dog

Post by MGIII » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:27 pm

Sad to hear. I hate that

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Always bothers to hear that kind of story and these kind of folk are all over the place. Some people should never have a pet animal.

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/07/24/londo ... -two-weeks

It used to be legal to abuse a dog I guess.
example:
MANY years ago - before I knew any better- I bought a dog from a pet store. She came from Missouri to Ontario. Often litters were shipped at 5 weeks ( cheaper fare) . This dog was 4 months old and had spent its whole life in a pet store window or crate in the back. When I bought him and took him home it was the first time he'd seen the out-of-doors.

Thankfully dogs can't be brought into Canada in this way anymore, but puppy mills still abound in Quebec.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:22 pm

I am just naive, I expect better from hunters. A lot of animal abuse comes from ignorance, I believe true hunters care enough to learn. He should have known better, a couple hours on this site would have taught him.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:05 am

He should have known better, a couple hours on this site would have taught him.
Amen to that. There are a number of hunting dog forums that I've gotten some amazing advice from (and I know some of the regulars here also post to some other great sites ie. UJ and notSSM)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:11 am

People that do that really don't care what anyone thinks. Took in a starving horse years ago, you could see where the ribs went into the backbone. It was kept with several other's that kept it run off decent feed, it lived on sage brush. Got it here and as it stepped from the trailer it's head hit the ground eating grass. Wife went to town aand got wormer and penicillin for her. Gave her a shot and some worm meds. Next day the pasture we put her in was full of worm piles . Sad what I've seen animals go through!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:42 pm

Sometimes people become unable to take care of their pets. I have a GSP that I took from a dying man and someone took my Sisters dog when she stroked out. Its not always because of bad ownership....

gsp-fan

Post by gsp-fan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:39 am

Sometimes people become unable to take care of their pets. I have a GSP that I took from a dying man and someone took my Sisters dog when she stroked out. Its not always because of bad ownership....

I might have agreed with that statement years ago but now there are so many resources to take a dog if you are unable to care for it. There are many stories of rescues trying to help a dog but many hunters will refuse to turn a dog over to rescue - which is sad because it is better than letting the dog die a slow death.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:37 pm

gsp-fan wrote:Sometimes people become unable to take care of their pets. I have a GSP that I took from a dying man and someone took my Sisters dog when she stroked out. Its not always because of bad ownership....

I might have agreed with that statement years ago but now there are so many resources to take a dog if you are unable to care for it. There are many stories of rescues trying to help a dog but many hunters will refuse to turn a dog over to rescue - which is sad because it is better than letting the dog die a slow death.
Im not sure what you missed? Would the GSP that sleeps on my couch be better off in some other resource? Should I put him in the GSP Rescue group and roll the dice? No, He has a comfy home with good food and a GREAT local Vet.

gsp-fan

Post by gsp-fan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:01 pm

I took your first statement to mean that "maybe the person fell on hard times" regarding the original post and the poor dog owners fell on hard time that is why it was treated this way. So my comment was about there are so many resources out there that they did not have to let that dog get into that shape and rescue being one of them. I applaud you taking in and giving a home to the GSP and anyone that does. It allows one less dog going into rescue. I am sorry I did not word it better that you took offense to my comment - not meant that way at all.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:28 pm

Gotcha Brother. I guess I mis-read you also. :)