Crayola Labs are getting out of hand

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:54 am

First it was chocolate. Then silver. Just heard of "Platinum" the other day (apparently super white?). Now today someone on a FB group asked about good "charcoal" Lab breeders.

...Charcoal??? I didn't know Kingsford had it's own line of Labs. They're really stretching on their marketing attempts... :roll:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Crayola Labs are getting out of hand

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:14 am

As long as people are willing to pay for them, other's are willing to breed them!

deke

Post by deke » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:40 am

My buddy was looking for a good "hunting" lab. He kept sending me websites to look over, as soon as i saw "ivory'', or "charcoal" or ( this is my personal favorite) "Irish Cream" , I would text him back and tell him to move on. The sad part is that these people wanted big money for a dog with zero pedigree, and awful looks, just because it was a "designer" color. The even sadder part is that some dummy is paying it. My wife wants a labradoodle, I have flat out told her that is grounds for divorce. Not a chance in heck two grand of my money is going to pay for a mutt.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:47 am

GWPtyler wrote:First it was chocolate. Then silver. Just heard of "Platinum" the other day (apparently super white?). Now today someone on a FB group asked about good "charcoal" Lab breeders.

...Charcoal??? I didn't know Kingsford had it's own line of Labs. They're really stretching on their marketing attempts... :roll:
I believe first would have been Yellow of the fad colors. Although Chocolate and Yellow date back to the 1800's they were generally culled.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:01 am

nikegundog wrote: I believe first would have been Yellow of the fad colors. Although Chocolate and Yellow date back to the 1800's they were generally culled.
I guess I meant first in my personal history. Pretty sure chocolate was the first color I heard of a Lab beyond black and yellow.

Oh, forgot one: FOX RED. Guess that's one way to sell a litter of Irish Setter/Lab crosses.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:04 am

'Champagne' is the new vogue ! ..
When you get 'White with chocolate' with hunting breeds, rather than Liver and white you guy's ought to worry :mrgreen:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:39 am

polmaise wrote:'Champagne' is the new vogue ! ..
When you get 'White with chocolate' with hunting breeds, rather than Liver and white you guy's ought to worry :mrgreen:
Most of those are not new colors but just descriptive names for different shades od the basic colors. I question the silvers being purebred and I bet the platinum is silver. The red is the dark yellows and the whites are the light yellows. Charcoal to me would be black but hard to say what they are calling it. Chocolate or liver. yellow or white to red, black to charcoal and lots of people thinking they are getting something special. Oh well....................

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:45 am

The breed club has been trying to put a stop to it, the AKC wants it to continue, its all about the money $$$$$$.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:56 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Most of those are not new colors but just descriptive names for different shades od the basic colors. I question the silvers being purebred and I bet the platinum is silver. The red is the dark yellows and the whites are the light yellows. Charcoal to me would be black but hard to say what they are calling it. Chocolate or liver. yellow or white to red, black to charcoal and lots of people thinking they are getting something special. Oh well....................
Never !! ...Who would have thought ? ..Shocked! :roll:

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:07 pm

I think Henry Ford must have had labs. He had the right idea ....." You can have any colour you like .....as long as it's black !" :lol:

Bill T.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:22 pm

For folks wondering about what a "charcoal" Lab is, this is the photo that was shared along with the post (agreed...appears to be just a shade variation of the "silver" Lab):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:30 pm

One of my black ones looked like that when they chewed through the blue bailing twine and got in the grain store :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:39 pm

nikegundog wrote:The breed club has been trying to put a stop to it, the AKC wants it to continue, its all about the money $$$$$$.
How do you know the AKC wants it to continue? I see no possible reason for them to want that since all they do is keep the studbook for the breed club.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:07 pm

The AKC doesn't want it to continue otherwise they would recognize those colors. Black, yellow and chocolate are the only colors and anything else gets dismissed.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:28 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
nikegundog wrote:The breed club has been trying to put a stop to it, the AKC wants it to continue, its all about the money $$$$$$.
How do you know the AKC wants it to continue? I see no possible reason for them to want that since all they do is keep the studbook for the breed club.
1) The letter that was written to the AKC from the breed club last month and the AKC's response to it.

2) A "Silver Lab", is a mutt, the AKC makes very little money off mutts, by the AKC calling them purebreds, they get their $$$$$.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:36 pm

This got fired up again because a judge, at an akc show, gave a silver lab a placement and a ribbon instead of a dq for not meeting breed standards.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:52 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:This got fired up again because a judge, at an akc show, gave a silver lab a placement and a ribbon instead of a dq for not meeting breed standards.
Yea, ''Yesterday's news'' :roll:

DougB

Post by DougB » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:53 pm

I guess I get more concerned about leg length and weight than color. My neighbors fox red shows red when the sun is at the right angle and hunts really well. Actually meets AKC specs for Labs. The trend seems to be "bigger is better" around here. 100lbs is not uncommon.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:55 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:This got fired up again because a judge, at an akc show, gave a silver lab a placement and a ribbon instead of a dq for not meeting breed standards.

That "judge" should be removed.

Fox Red is not a recognized color...Black, Yellow or Chocolate.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:

What ?????
No 'Tartan' ? ....That's a disgrace :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:07 pm

Fox Red is Yellow. The silver they are talking about hasn't been proved it comes from any of the three standard colors.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:21 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Fox Red is Yellow. The silver they are talking about hasn't been proved it comes from any of the three standard colors.
Huh? How is Fox Red Yellow?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:39 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote: Huh? How is Fox Red Yellow?
Probably because it's Not Black or Chocolate ? :lol:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:16 pm

Fox yellow is referred to in the breed standard. Silver is a disqualification, at least according to the breed club who is suppose to set the standard, AKC feels differently and is giving the middle finger to the breed club.

"Yellow - Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog."

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:01 pm

nikegundog wrote:
Fox yellow is referred to in the breed standard. Silver is a disqualification, at least according to the breed club who is suppose to set the standard, AKC feels differently and is giving the middle finger to the breed club.

"Yellow - Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog."
I guess I will have to agree with the AKC on this one.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:31 pm

nikegundog wrote:

I guess I will have to agree with the AKC on this one.
Fox-Red have always been accepted, this was a Silver Lab at the show (which got a placement), which is a disqualification. The Breed club has never had problems with "fox-red", its just a darker shade of yellow. What the Breed club has issues with is people breeding Weims to Labradors to get "silvers", and that is the issue with the AKC.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:14 pm

I haven't heard that the AKC recognizes the diff between yellow and "fox red". I cant tell you how many AKC events that I have been to including several Westminsters and never saw a Red Lab. I guess I will stick to black.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:27 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I haven't heard that the AKC recognizes the diff between yellow and "fox red". I cant tell you how many AKC events that I have been to including several Westminsters and never saw a Red Lab. I guess I will stick to black.
Sorry you haven't seen one. They used to be quite common years ago when yellows were just becoming popular. Fox Red is just a darker shade some what similar to a Golden. Big difference back then was length of coat more than color.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:18 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I haven't heard that the AKC recognizes the diff between yellow and "fox red". I cant tell you how many AKC events that I have been to including several Westminsters and never saw a Red Lab. I guess I will stick to black.
Sorry you haven't seen one. They used to be quite common years ago when yellows were just becoming popular. Fox Red is just a darker shade some what similar to a Golden. Big difference back then was length of coat more than color.
Thanks for the education bro.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:05 am

ezzy333 wrote: How do you know the AKC wants it to continue? I see no possible reason for them to want that since all they do is keep the studbook for the breed club.
Take a look on AKC website ezzy in the classifieds or whatever it is. There is a litter on there of silvers, champagnes and some other weird colour (perhaps this charcoal everyone speaks of). I would think that if they cared they would not advertise such litters

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:58 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: How do you know the AKC wants it to continue? I see no possible reason for them to want that since all they do is keep the studbook for the breed club.
Take a look on AKC website ezzy in the classifieds or whatever it is. There is a litter on there of silvers, champagnes and some other weird colour (perhaps this charcoal everyone speaks of). I would think that if they cared they would not advertise such litters
So legally, you think they can turn down an ad based on the color of a dog even though they have nothing to do with deciding what color a dog should be to conform to the sponsoring breed club's standard? I think there is a problem with doing that under todays standards.

mrbobaz

Post by mrbobaz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:58 pm

GWPtyler wrote:
nikegundog wrote: I believe first would have been Yellow of the fad colors. Although Chocolate and Yellow date back to the 1800's they were generally culled.
I guess I meant first in my personal history. Pretty sure chocolate was the first color I heard of a Lab beyond black and yellow.

Oh, forgot one: FOX RED. Guess that's one way to sell a litter of Irish Setter/Lab crosses.
Fox Red is a very dark Yellow Lab with a reddish hue to the coat similar to the reddish gold hue of very dark Golden Retrievers.

mrbobaz

Post by mrbobaz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:01 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
The dilute colors, silver, charcoal, and champagne have been proven to carry the dilute gene found in Weimaraners. All "Labs" with the dilute gene have been traced to two kennels that bred both Labs and Weimaraners.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:21 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
CDN_Cocker wrote:
So legally, you think they can turn down an ad based on the color of a dog even though they have nothing to do with deciding what color a dog should be to conform to the sponsoring breed club's standard? I think there is a problem with doing that under todays standards.
Just curious but why couldn't the AKC ban an add? Legally, they can do whatever they wish.