Securing Dog Crate

River Hill

Securing Dog Crate

Post by River Hill » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Have a new truck and looking for suggestions on how you are securing a plastic crate in the back of a pickup truck.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Securing Dog Crate

Post by Neil » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:58 pm

Ratchet straps for 30 years with Varicrates, snuged up tight.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:57 am

I agree with the post above! I used ratchet lines until I purchased a trailer last year. They work fine and are super safe.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:07 pm

Yep. Maybe two, securing from front-back and side-side motion.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:49 am

An unsecured crate ain't coming out of a truck bed unless you roll it, and if that happens I don't believe a strap is going to be much help anyway. In my opinion...... But if it makes you feel better have at it.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:25 am

nikegundog wrote:An unsecured crate ain't coming out of a truck bed unless you roll it, and if that happens I don't believe a strap is going to be much help anyway. In my opinion...... But if it makes you feel better have at it.
I have heard creditable accounts of plastic dog crates being blown out of a truck bed, and have personally seen them lifted a foot off the bed and only the kept in by the lip. A passing 18 wheeler creates some serious wind currents, it will lift a crate and 70 lb dog like a feather pillow.

You are wrong.

Neil

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:11 am

An unsecured crate "coming out" of a truck would not be the only reason to secure a dog box....it is simply a commonsense idea and illustrates concern and so, respect for the dog in the box.
That said, I prefer a topper being involved and also secure the dog boxes under the topper. :idea:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:49 am

Neil wrote:
nikegundog wrote:An unsecured crate ain't coming out of a truck bed unless you roll it, and if that happens I don't believe a strap is going to be much help anyway. In my opinion...... But if it makes you feel better have at it.
I have heard creditable accounts of plastic dog crates being blown out of a truck bed, and have personally seen them lifted a foot off the bed and only the kept in by the lip. A passing 18 wheeler creates some serious wind currents, it will lift a crate and 70 lb dog like a feather pillow.

You are wrong.

Neil
A large empty crate in the rear of a long box, compact pick-up, I would buy that. A crate place behind the cab, of a full sized truck with a dog in it, I call BS.
But, if they are getting lifted out like feathers, you better bolt that to the bed, instead of relying on a simply strap made in China.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:46 am

nikegundog wrote:
Neil wrote:

You are wrong.

Neil
A large empty crate in the rear of a long box, compact pick-up, I would buy that. A crate place behind the cab, of a full sized truck with a dog in it, I call BS.
But, if they are getting lifted out like feathers, you better bolt that to the bed, instead of relying on a simply strap made in China.
I have no problem with the risks you take with your dogs, but encouraging others to do so is irresponsible. I use 1,200 lb straps and replace them often.

You are wrong and wrongheaded to argue it.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:47 pm

I don't believe to keep the crate from jumping out is the only reason. Crate could slide all over inside an otherwise mty bed. I saw a guy with an MTY crate in the back of his truck with an open tailgate and the thing was being drug along bouncing. Fortunately, there was no dog in it. the rare time I would make the dog's ride in a crate in back, I've put one ratchet over the center of the crate and another over the lip of the door opening. If for whatever reason I'd have the gate down, another would go across the back near the top.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:18 pm

I avoid the problem by putting both my crate and ny dog inside the truck.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:30 am

My dog rides in the cab with me as well but I cannot imagine failing to secure a box back in the bed. Just for having to veer hard to avoid something or having to brake hard it would make sense. Now, if the fellow who doesn't secure his just putts down a rural road a couples of miles from his house to hunt, that's one thing. Traffic and highway speeds? That's another.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:06 pm

NEhomer wrote:My dog rides in the cab with me as well but I cannot imagine failing to secure a box back in the bed. Just for having to veer hard to avoid something or having to brake hard it would make sense. Now, if the fellow who doesn't secure his just putts down a rural road a couples of miles from his house to hunt, that's one thing. Traffic and highway speeds? That's another.
I would secure the crate if I put one of my dog's in it to go out the driveway. The gate on the crate's opens fine even when it's strapped down.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:29 pm

Speaking of the gate/door, I just don't trust those on the cheaper crates sold today. And I am not real proud of the ones on Ruff Tough Crates, but overall it is the best plastic crate available.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/ruff-tou ... +dog+crate

I really recommend a quality diamond plate 2 dog box, I have one that is 30 years old.