Reverse Psychology?

Gertie

Reverse Psychology?

Post by Gertie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:53 pm

So, a situation has played out more times than I can count and I'm not sure what to do about it. We have a rescue heeler that is prone to biting (he was previously owned by a mean drunk and has some serious trust issues). He doesn't chase people down and bite them but he may bite the hand of a stranger who reaches down to pet him. He pays absolutely no attention to anyone when we are out in public areas unless they reach out for him. I tell everyone we come into contact with (outside and inside our house) that they are welcome to pet the setters but please don't touch the heeler because if he doesn't know you he may bite. Most people listen. However, some people insist on petting him and then they get bit. These are the people who always say "Oh, he won't bite me. I love dogs" or "He won't bite me. I know heelers, been around them my whole life", or "I have a heeler. I get along great with them." :roll: . Even when he curls his lip and growls at them, they still do it! I have literally put myself between them and the dog and they will still bend down and try to pet him. What the heck is wrong with these people that they flat out insist on doing what they were just told not to do? Luckily most have admitted their mistake and said they should have listened but I'm really worried that he might bite the wrong person and we'll have trouble. Maybe I should start telling them that the setters are vicious and not to pet them so they'll insist on doing so, I can act amazed and tell them they should be the next "dog whisperer", and the cow-dog won't bite their dumb a*$.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Reverse Psychology?

Post by shags » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:04 pm

I think you might have to put the heeler up and away when you have folks to your home. When out and about, muzzle him and get yourself physically between him and the dumbarses who insist on petting him. These days it doesn't matter if they are warned, some people will go straight ot the judicial system if your dog bites them.

Hopefully you can continue to make progress with your heeler's behavior. In the meantime, good luck to you and good on you for taking in the dog.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:19 pm

In the same boat with my JRT . Can't be trusted around strangers when on leash, and with that cute face they don't believe he could lash out, so they reach out to him. I muzzle him when on leash in public.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:59 am

Get rid of the dog or get him out of sight when anyone visits you. I blame the dog not the people. In today's country full of suit-happy people and attorbey's, I'd never endangerbthebfinancial well being of my family with an unstable rescue dog. Heeled are nippers anyhow so you're fighting two battles here.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:28 am

I don't pet other people's dogs and I don't take my dogs where they can be petted.

I know some guys that if bitten, you wouldn't worry about a lawsuit, they would take action from reflex.

You need to keep the dog away from people.