Bottle Fed Pups

buff

Bottle Fed Pups

Post by buff » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:00 am

Does anybody have any experience with a bottle fed pup? How did they turn out? ie Physical and mental? Any information would be appreciated. thanks mike

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Bottle Fed Pups

Post by cjhills » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:24 am

They do fine If you can find a bottle that works. If They are new born Have them Suck through a make-up sponge. They must suck Do not try to feed them with an eye dropper. The will choke to death..........................Cj

Timewise65

Re: Bottle Fed Pups

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:32 am

The only time I had a field bred dog that was a problem, was one that had to be separated from the litter before being weaned. They breeder, a vet, found that the litter was dealing with a deadly form of herpes. Since she was a vet living near a vet school in Texas, she was able to separate the pups from the mother and isolate them until it was safe. A couple of the pups died anyway. I did not know any off this when we drove 12 hours to pick up a male from this litter. This litter was highly recommend to us as the pedigree on these pups was outstanding. Both the sire and "bleep" had long histories of field titles, so we thought we were lucky to have one of these pups.

By the time our pup was 3 months I had noticed that at time he seemed a bit aggressive. By the time he was 6 months I knew he was aggressive, not all the time, just in circumstances where he had something he did not want anyone to share. As he developed I found a trainer who, I was told, specialized in training tough dogs. I left our boy with him for 3 months, although we visited and trained with him frequently. At first the training seemed to be helping him and the force fetching seemed to get him through the problem of giving up game on command. He was soft mouthed, so I figured it was money well spent.

Long story short, we did have him neutered to help with his tendency towards aggression. Not long after that he snarled at me in the house and we got into it...that was my first trip to the hospital to get my hand sowed up. It happened one more time to me, again same hand, bit me when I was petting him. He then threatened my wife, very aggressively. I had a behaviorists take a look at him, he quickly determined that this dog is dangerously aggressive. He described to that this dog was separated from the litter when young and does not understand he is a dog. Therefore, he will aggressively try to dominate any situation, not really wanting to be part of that 'pack'....a little of a lone wolf!

Regardless, we had him put down.....even after all this, I hated to do that! But he had turned into a dangerous dog!

Bottom line, I will never consider buying a dog that was not in the litter full time............................