Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Pudelpointer

GVK

Post by GVK » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:39 am

Hi all, I'm new to the group so I hope I won't be rehashing old topics.
I'm researching breeds and breeders. My Brittany is 13 years old and is starting to slow down so I'm thing about getting a pup. I've narrowed down the breed to wirehaired pointing griffon or pudelpointer. Wondering if given the choice of these 2 breeds which would you choose? Why and Why not? I know the WPG is suppose to hunt close. I've heard different things about the PP. Can anyone tell me about how PPs range? Also, any suggestions for breeders in or near Wisconsin? Thanks.

pato y codoniz

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon vs Pudelpointer

Post by pato y codoniz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:15 pm

Are you going to do testing with the dog? Both can do NAVDHA but only the WPG can do the AKC retriever hunt tests.

As for breeders around Wisconsin, I really wouldn't go about it in that manner because you'll be wsiting a longtime. For pudelpointers, I'd go to the North American Pudel Pointers Association website and checkout those guys. You'll get an excellent dog from ANY of the NAPPA breeders.. Personally, i prefer the German tested dogs so I'd import a VPP dog but I wouldn't recommend it for you. It isn't uncommon for some unscrupulous foreign breeders to send their culls or duds out of the country so you need to have someone on the ground to pick your pup unless you have a longtime relationship.

As for the WPG, you have to do your homework on the breeder. Is he breeding AKC dogs or was he part of the split and breeding from the cesky fousek crossed stock? Again, as with the PP, I would look nationally for a breeder despite there being some good breeders in the northern midwest.

You have to remember, most of the PP and WPG breeders are true hobby guys. They'll have might have a litter or two a year and there are waiting lists. Btw, a well bred dog will set you back about $1600.

As for which I'd pick? I like them both but both would tend to struggle with my climate. However, I'll say this... when your looking at top performing upland dogs, I've found that top pudelpointers are a level or two above the top performing wpg. With that said, both are excellent in a duck blind. However, despite all I've just said, I'd get the wpg because my wife thinks that they are absolutely adorable and I could pawn it off as "her" new dog. Lol

Ps. To kind of put it in perspective, last year, I'd bet that there were more top end hunting lab litters bred in Wisconsin than there were PP and WPG litters in the entire country.

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:32 pm

I don't have the experience to speak to either breed, but I just want to add that although a PP might not be able to run in AKC retriever hunt tests, they CAN run in UKC HRC tests.

Watermen

Post by Watermen » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Go to a NAVHDA training or testing day near you. Several of WI's tests recently took place. The next two weekends MN has tests and S. WI and IL have tests this month. Watch the dogs and talk to the owners and breeders. There is variation in the lines of dogs you asked about. Get on versatile dog or check out NAVDHA .org for breeders and records of both dogs. You will find the folks in this venue friendly and helpful. There are several breeders of both dogs in your area. Dogs live longer than most marriages last, go watch the dogs dance and see who catches your eye in person without internet dating. I'm partial to PPs and gwps oh and blondes. :wink:
Good luck

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:29 pm

I have a 2 yr old PP bs regularly hunt with a guy who has a WPG. Similar but my PP can swim all day in water. Just loves it. I use her for all upland and waterfowl as does my buddy with the WPG. His will definitely hunt everything but won't seek out water like PP. that said she hunts very close which I enjoy but does not have as strong as nose as his WPG. Seen it find a bird almost 1/4 mile away across a field. Light breeze came through the dog immediately locked on to the sent and move on to hold point until we arrived. 2 other dogs including mine never scented it. It was amazing. Dog just stop and as soon as the breeze hit it. We thought the bird was much closer but it was just sitting never ran. Dog walk right up to it. And waited for us to flush
That said you can't go wrong with each. The PP is definitely more people dog. Loves kids as well but knows when it is business time. And she is ready to hunt.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:28 pm

I'm a shorthair guy and can't really answer your question but on
http://www.versatiledogs.com/forum/
They love their scruffy breeds. I've spent hours reading about what you are asking. Comparisons breeders and the such.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:27 pm

There are some great breeders of WPG in Wisconsin, can get some info if you'd like. Have never hunted with a PP, but have heard great things. I do hunt every bird available with my griff though, from early season dove and chickens to late season ducks and geese. Couldn't ask for any more.