What to pack for hunting trip?

Spy Car

Re: What to pack for hunting trip?

Post by Spy Car » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:21 pm

50 years ago, I (and and other knowledgable hunters and mountaineers) used beeswax-based Sno Seal to waterproof our leather boots, not bear grease. Grease is bad for leather, is softens both the stitching and the leather on expensive boots. Needing to re-apply bear grease every hour might have given one a clue that it was not an effective way to waterproof boots.

in contrast, Sno Seal worked great, Did not damage leather or stitching, and was long lasting.

Love the style of Bean boots, still have a pair for kicking around on wet days, but boot technology has moved on.

Bill

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:45 pm

Spy Car wrote:50 years ago, I (and and other knowledgable hunters and mountaineers) used beeswax-based Sno Seal to waterproof our leather boots, not bear grease. Grease is bad for leather, is softens both the stitching and the leather on expensive boots. Needing to re-apply bear grease every hour might have given one a clue that it was not an effective way to waterproof boots.

in contrast, Sno Seal worked great, Did not damage leather or stitching, and was long lasting.

Love the style of Bean boots, still have a pair for kicking around on wet days, but boot technology has moved on.

Bill
Great product, use to be included in boxes of Sorel's forty years ago.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:05 pm

Pack your cell phone . You never know when you might break your leg etc..Of course I've always wondered if EMS could find me anyway.

and you might fall in a swamp:

[quote="pato y codoniz
...........................Look, I've known about the Ezzy/Neil M.O. since day one. You'd be shocked, maybe not, how many people don't care for either of you and share it by p.m.[/quote]

Oh please. This sounds like high school. "Well Mary told me she didn't like you either." LOL

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:37 pm

Thanks to those who contributed. Yes, I just ordered an astro for this trip. I will be with a couple experienced grouse hunters as well. My dog is heavy in grouse lines so I think the transition from wild quail hunting in the south shouldn't be too bad. I'm creating a first aid kit, I'm sure this could be a thread itself. Any recommendations on where to order a staple gun? Do vets sell them? Or maybe rural king?

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:49 pm

A good bottle of bourbon to celebrate or lament (depending on how all of these suggestions pan out). :mrgreen:

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Jägermeister wrote:Thanks to those who contributed. Yes, I just ordered an astro for this trip. I will be with a couple experienced grouse hunters as well. My dog is heavy in grouse lines so I think the transition from wild quail hunting in the south shouldn't be too bad. I'm creating a first aid kit, I'm sure this could be a thread itself. Any recommendations on where to order a staple gun? Do vets sell them? Or maybe rural king?
Lion Country Supply....................Cj

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:25 pm

Jägermeister wrote:Thanks to those who contributed. Yes, I just ordered an astro for this trip. I will be with a couple experienced grouse hunters as well. My dog is heavy in grouse lines so I think the transition from wild quail hunting in the south shouldn't be too bad. I'm creating a first aid kit, I'm sure this could be a thread itself. Any recommendations on where to order a staple gun? Do vets sell them? Or maybe rural king?
I carried and used sutures bought from my vet for years, then bought, but never used a couple staple guns from a different vet. Based on recommendations from this site I bought some Quick Clot from Amazon. Hope I never have to use it, but I am impressed with the reviews. Sewing or stapling a dog is easy enough, but all the crap that gets in the wound from the field could result in infections. I like the idea of stopping the blood flow and getting them to the vet to have it cleaned and sterilized, and then closed. And Quick Clot can be used on humans.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:50 am

I carry a skin stapler, but believe stopping the bleeding and getting to a vet is the better option. Sometimes the cure is worse than the wound. Peroxide to clean the wound helps. If you plan to use the stapler a roll of duct tape to immobilize the dog really helps. If you plan to use the stapler on a wounded dog it is a good idea to practice o bit with it. It can be difficult if the first time is on a fighting dog.............Cj

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:50 am

Re first aid....an ear snag and bleed can be very common and a head shake can make matters worse and messy.
I have come to prefer a smear of emt gel, perhaps a bit of vet wrap and, especially, a section of nylon stocking to slip over the head and softly immobilize the ear tight to the head precluding much ear snapping during a head shake.
Along with eye wash, the ingredients take up little space in the vest...you might consider the addition.

Agree on PetClot...never needed it but nice to know it is available.

As to dogs...personally and I prefer washed out of trialing setters, there is always a learning curve for dogs and...us on new birds and territories...no shame there.
Travel, new sniffs, cover and all else can find even the best dogs having a slow start.
Time tho can be related to the volume of birds present, scenting conditions and luck with that first obliging bird....which often may be the most obliging of birds, the woodcock....all help.