What to pack for hunting trip?

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:50 am

I'm heading to Maine in Oct. I'm just looking for tips of what to buy/bring. Iv never been grouse hunting and never been to maine. What's the weather like? Tick repellant? I have a brush vest for dog, gps collar, bell?, first aid kit and my fall/winter hunting clothes. Are my insulated hunting boots too much? Should I not shave my setter if he will be sleeping outdoors at night? Thanks.

mnaj_springer

Re: What to pack for hunting trip?

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:53 am

I've never been to Maine either, but I've grouse hunted in Minnesota, so I'll speak from my experience.

The first things I grab are my dogs water bottle (and refill jug) and the K9 first aid kit. I think the GPS collar and bell are a bit redundant, but bring the bell just in case the collar fails. I personally have the astro so I don't have to listen to a bell all day. I also bring lots of layers for grouse. Once you are walking through trees you warm up quickly. But water proof boots are a necessity, in my opinion.

I also don't see the need to shave a dog. Trimming the feathering is fine and makes dealing with burs easier, but their fur serves a purpose. It insulates them (from both hot and cold) and it protects them.

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:06 am

I just returned from a month of training in Northwestern Maine. The 12 dogs were treated with Vectra and I used a spray repellant sporadically I never found a tick on the dogs are myself, but like they say, and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Chances are your feet are going to get wet if you venture into the cover, and unless you don't mind putting on wet boots in the morning, take several pair.

Temperatures in October can very a great deal and the last several years I've gone from short sleeve hunting to snow showers in a 24 hour period. Be prepared for frequent rain showers, and I would recommend carrying a rain jacket in your vest and a change of clothes in the truck.

Burrs usually aren't a problem, but shaving isn't a problem as long as your dog can be kenneled out of the weather with dry bedding. If you have GPS, use it. The cover you move through will vary in density, and greatly effects the range at which you can hear the bell. I run both, and only pull the GPS when I feel the need. A compass, matches and flashlight should be in your vest.

Bird numbers look good, and I too am looking forward to a return trip this October.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:32 am

All good advice.

I would consider a pair of LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes, there is a reason Maine is in the name, and they are boots not shoes. Buy quality socks.

Oh, I don't recall seeing a stake out and hammer on the list.

You will enjoy the trip.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:33 am

I am no grouse hunter, and have only been to New Bruswick once, but what you bring all depends on the anticipated weather. Accuweather.com will give you a 3 week window. It may not be 100% accurate, but you will have a very good idea of what you may encounter in the way of weather. As mentioned, layers are a great idea, as is a hunting vest that can store unused clothing.

If it is warm enough for bugs to be about I strongly recommend bug protection , both for you and your dog. Pliers or a leatherman for porcupine quills.

One of the things I take anywhere I go is a pair of electric shoe dryers. I have the kind that slip inside the footbed like a shoe tree. I store them for the trip inside my spare boots. Even if a leather boot get totally submerged, it will be dry by the time I need it again. Rubber boots are usually good to go by the next morning, if you drain them out thoroughly and put the dryers in with the boots upside down. Leather boots will take longer.

Oh yeah...if you are shooting a subgauge shotgun, bring enough shells. myou will probably play he!! finding 16 or 28 gauge shells.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:52 am

Credit Card.....................Cj

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:45 am

Neil wrote:All good advice.

I would consider a pair of LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes, there is a reason Maine is in the name, and they are boots not shoes. Buy quality socks.

Oh, I don't recall seeing a stake out and hammer on the list.

You will enjoy the trip.
When I moved to Boston for grad school, I bought a pair. The endearing part about the bean boot is the nostalgia. However, the bad part functionally is the nostalgia so I am not a fan because they offer no support, foot or ankle, and, thus, are uncomfortable.

Much better boots out there. However, if you want to stick to the New England theme, I'd much rather wear a pair of gore tex new balance mid trail shoes.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:51 am

Jägermeister wrote:I'm heading to Maine in Oct. I'm just looking for tips of what to buy/bring. Iv never been grouse hunting and never been to maine. What's the weather like? Tick repellant? I have a brush vest for dog, gps collar, bell?, first aid kit and my fall/winter hunting clothes. Are my insulated hunting boots too much? Should I not shave my setter if he will be sleeping outdoors at night? Thanks.
As someone else noted, the weather is unpredictable this time of year but there are 2 things that you can seemingly always count on, 1. Getting heavy rain on a day that started out sayong "wow what great weather" and 2. It seemed that every year, our first snow of the year came around mid-October.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:22 pm

Rabies certificate, immunization schedule, local vet numbers and directions.

Bean boots require a workable support system and ankle stiffness for a few of us....best fit and try, as many boots are available.

A bell is immediate.....for ruffed grouse, I have come to prefer the advantages of both Astro and bell...pick for yourself and your individual needs.

Depending, I would have shaved the setter earlier....now, hard to see a reason.
I would add Cowboy Magic and a mat breaker.

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:23 pm

I have to agree with Pato on the Maine hunting boots from Bean. No support in the arch, and with the high heel and poor ankle support, even when I was in the best of shape I found them dangerous. They may wear them in Portland, but otherwise I haven't seen a rural Mainer with a pair.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Bean sells a metal shank foot support insert that make mine very comfotable. But you can certainly buy a more expensive boot, I have some in the closet.

But I think we can agree you need waterproof boots.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:47 pm

I would go with water-resistant boots over waterproof boots, Maine, UGLs or wherever, but....some would not.

I wore Bean boots for years and used the steel sheepskin(?) insole...As time passed and age advanced, I came to prefer more support...everywhere in a boot....some would not.

I have not priced Bean boots lately but I reckon the boots I wear are at that price point or below.
It is not about buying expensive boots, for me.....for some, it may be.

As an xtra suggestion for the traveler, I would change socks at mid-day for a mental and physical lift....again, I expect that some would not.
I should also add that while I occasionally tote a boot dryer for snow or rain, I prefer to take two pairs of boots....as even in dry conditions, rotating boots every two days or so will allow trapped moisture a chance to dry.
Some, again, would not.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:01 pm

Luminary Setters wrote:They may wear them in Portland, but otherwise I haven't seen a rural Mainer with a pair.
Mine were relegated to use only on the mean streets of Cambridge, MA. Only on heavy rain days and after i added arch supporting insoles could i endure the lack of arch support and cushioning to keep my feet dry.

The problem with the Maine hunting shoe is that they are properly labeled a shoe but improperly labeled "hunting".

Truth be told, they're an uncushioned unsupported stalking shoe for a guy to be able to feel the forest floor and keep noise to a minimum while slowly still hunting the Maine woods.

Not meant for a guy bird hunting behind dogs.

Ps. I have the 10" steel shanked boots.

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:41 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Rabies certificate, immunization schedule, local vet numbers and directions.
That's a good point, I had not thought of bringing.

Boots I have covered, I got a pair of waterproof/insulated wolverine boots that are super comfy. And I have a $10 pair of puddle stompers which you can't beat. After spending anof time in the field with the army iv learned to appreciate dry socks and underwear. Ll Bean I never considered, been in one once and seemed overpriced.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:58 pm

LL Bean has long been a favorite store and I always have found the prices commensurate with the quality and the service exceptional.
No doubt they have succombed more than a bit to a changing market and clientele but I still recall from 50+ years ago, the old store and hearing the wood floors creak as one moved thru the must-haves of the day.

I also have a couple of the briar pipes that Bean once sold....not a Barling but they often just seem a right choice.
I can't ask much more.

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:50 pm

Mountaineer brings up a very good point on the vet records and veterinarians. You really need to be certain what the vet hours are, if a veterinarian is there during those hours.

And if you have to go to one call ahead to confirm one is at the clinic and advise them of the problem. If it's a serious trauma, they might send you somewhere else, and if you get there and the vet isn't, you have lost valuable time.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:42 am

Some more about the Maine Hunting Shoe, for those of us that enjoyed hunting in the wet prior to 1968, we had 3 choices; hunt with wet feet, smear bear grease on our boots every hour, or wear some type of rubber boot. In the 50's, 60's, into the 70's; every guide and serious hunter I knew wore the Maine Hunting Shoe or the even older milking boot. Check old photos, from Teddy Roosevelt to Sam Crouch, yep, rubber boots were the preferred footwear through most of the 20th century.

To suggest I am a big city poser for wearing them shows your youth and inexperience. They worked then and they work now.

Oh, 1968 marks the date of the introduction of Goretex.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:43 am

Neil wrote:Some more about the Maine Hunting Shoe, for those of us that enjoyed hunting in the wet prior to 1968, we had 3 choices; hunt with wet feet, smear bear grease on our boots every hour, or wear some type of rubber boot. In the 50's, 60's, into the 70's; every guide and serious hunter I knew wore the Maine Hunting Shoe or the even older milking boot. Check old photos, from Teddy Roosevelt to Sam Crouch, yep, rubber boots were the preferred footwear through most of the 20th century.

To suggest I am a big city poser for wearing them shows your youth and inexperience. They worked then and they work now.

So what are you trying to say? That ~50 years ago, your recommendation of footwear would have been a good one?

Btw, your little factoid about TR is inaccurate at best. He was known to outfit himself at Abercrombie and Fitch. Btw, in just about every picture you'll ever see, he is wearing boots that are 16" moccasins or hobnails.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:19 am

pato y codoniz wrote:
Neil wrote:Some more about the Maine Hunting Shoe, for those of us that enjoyed hunting in the wet prior to 1968, we had 3 choices; hunt with wet feet, smear bear grease on our boots every hour, or wear some type of rubber boot. In the 50's, 60's, into the 70's; every guide and serious hunter I knew wore the Maine Hunting Shoe or the even older milking boot. Check old photos, from Teddy Roosevelt to Sam Crouch, yep, rubber boots were the preferred footwear through most of the 20th century.

So what are you trying to say? That ~50 years ago, your recommendation of footwear would have been a good one?

Btw, your little factoid about TR is inaccurate at best. He was known to outfit himself at Abercrombie and Fitch. Btw, in just about every picture you'll ever see, he is wearing boots that are 16" moccasins or hobnails.
I am saying you, specifically, lack respect for our heritage and your elders. The moccasins and hobnails were from TR' s Western excursions, not his Northeast US and Amazon adventures.

And some of my shotguns are much older than my footwear. To paraphrase McMurtry, "I am not one to give up on a garment just because of a little wear". New is not always better.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Neil wrote: I am saying you, specifically, lack respect for our heritage and your elders. The moccasins and hobnails were from TR' s Western excursions, not his Northeast US and Amazon adventures.

And some of my shotguns are much older than my footwear. To paraphrase McMurtry, "I am not one to give up on a garment just because of a little wear". New is not always better.
Sorry, you're mistaking my intolerance for your nonsense as a lack of respect for hunting heritage or my elders.

Funny enough, I'm a vintage type guy. I'm always buying old stuff from cars to guns to saddles to furniture to cookware to hardware to wood. I fish a bamboo or glass fly rod more often than not. The vehicle I most frequently drive is a 69 Jaguar XKE Series II roadster.

There are only a few places that I don't do vintage... my outwear, my footwear, and my wife.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Calling what a knowledgeable, experienced person writes nonsense is poor manners. I don't understand your motivation, but I guess you find your conduct satisfying on some level.

I also believe your post reveals the difference between us, you drive an imported sports car, while I drive a domestic crew cab 4x4.

Not that I don't to think sports cars have a function, I owned a '68 L-88 Corvette. Just prefer function over looks.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Neil wrote:Calling what a knowledgeable, experienced person writes nonsense is poor manners.
Despite a half a dozen people, including people owning them telling you that there are better options and even taking the time to explain what they were designed for, you continue to insist that a boot with no arch support or cushioned footbed is a good choice.

Sorry that I refuse to beat around the bush and would rather call a spade a spade.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:58 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:
Neil wrote:Calling what a knowledgeable, experienced person writes nonsense is poor manners.
Despite a half a dozen people, including people owning them telling you that there are better options and even taking the time to explain what they were designed for, you continue to insist that a boot with no arch support or cushioned footbed is a good choice.

Sorry that I refuse to beat around the bush and would rather call a spade a spade.
Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade but you do not have the privilege to call the user an idiot. Take a hint and save us all some trouble.

Ezzy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:00 pm

There is nothing rude about calling a spade a spade, or even saying you think I am wrong, I am not, but you are free to give your opinion. Good manners do not require you to beat around the bush, just not go out of your way to be insulting, it really shows a lack of class.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:19 pm

One can be right for themselves and wrong for others......absolutes, seldom are....be it with boots, dogs, scattergun's or apples.

I know a fella up in Maine who is a lifelong Mainer and bird hunter at 60 years or so of age.
I suspect he has worn a Bean boot and I know his wife works in the Bean store, or did.
I could ask about the boot heavily in question and while he would undoubtably answer, I wager he would think the focus a bit silly and perhaps akin to some preferring a pince-nez.

I hope the OP will have a good trip.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:02 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
pato y codoniz wrote:

Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade but you do not have the privilege to call the user an idiot. Take a hint and save us all some trouble.

Ezzy
I never called him an idiot. Maybe you're confusing your opinion of what he wrote as being my opinion.

Truth be told... Neil is comically predictable because his giant ego won't allow him to concede any of his opinions as being inferior especially when it comes to me.

I mean good lord, he even tried to defend his opinion by stating I don't appreciate vintage footwear.

Comedy at its finest. What's next, telling the guy not to forget his waxed cotton jacket and paper shells?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:55 pm

In addition to obviously sorely needing lessons in manners, you need some language instruction. Nonsense means without sense, without intelligence, thus an idiot would be an acceptable synonym. And that is rude.

My ego has nothing to do with strongly believing the Maine Hunting Shoe has a real place in Maine hunting, which in case you have not done it, involves more standing in mud while the dogs work than actually walking.

I have no doubt if we were to meet face to face you would be more civil.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:56 pm

Neil wrote:In addition to obviously sorely needing lessons in manners, you need some language instruction. Nonsense means without sense, without intelligence, thus an idiot would be an acceptable synonym. And that is rude.

My ego has nothing to do with strongly believing the Maine Hunting Shoe has a real place in Maine hunting, which in case you have not done it, involves more standing in mud while the dogs work than actually walking.

I have no doubt if we were to meet face to face you would be more civil.
There you go Neil, instead of putting your ego aside and admitting fault or error, you're fighting for another losing position that some how idiot is a synonym for nonsense.

Nonsense

synonyms: rubbish, gibberish, claptrap, balderdash, blarney;

Informal: hogwash, baloney, rot, moonshine, garbage, jive, tripe, drivel, bilge, bull, guff, bunk, bosh, BS, eyewash, piffle, poppycock, phooey, hooey, malarkey, hokum, twaddle, gobbledygook, codswallop, flapdoodle, hot air;

dated: bunkum, tommyrot;

vulgar slang: bullshit, crap, crapola

Lastly, I lived in New England for almost 15 years. I did my 4 years of undergrad in New Hampshire and did 2 stints, including grad school, in Massachusetts. I've spent plenty of time in those woods (Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Canada) with a rifle, shotgun, bow, and fly rod in my hands.

Ps. If I've written it, I'd say it to your face.
Last edited by pato y codoniz on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grommet

Post by Grommet » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm not really sure why this has turned into an argument. I have had the same pair of bean boots for 25 years. During that time I have owned just about every other brand of boot on the market. I have not found a pair yet as comfortable as my bean boots. But I also wear wax cotton so what do I know.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Definition - Idiot:

One deficient in judgment and good sense.

Do I need to define deficient and "non" for you or can you handle that on your own? But whatever the definition, your intention was to be insulting.

I have met few people from Boston or any of the big NE cities that hunt, and fewer college students, fewer still that drive Jags. Lots of yuppies fit that description, but no upland hunters of my acquaintance.

Now you are boring me.

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Only my opinion, but I sort of think two people need to be put in time out unless some would like to make some side bets on how long it will take them to get this thread locked.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:00 pm

Neil wrote:Definition - Idiot:

Do I need to define deficient and "non" for you or can you handle that on your own? But whatever the definition, your intention was to be insulting.

I have met few people from Boston or any of the big NE cities that hunt, and fewer college students, fewer still that drive Jags. Lots of yuppies fit that description, but no upland hunters of my acquaintance.

Now you are boring me.
First, words have meanings. Go argue with Webster, they disagree with your nonsense about synonyms for nonsense.

Second, I said I lived in New England 3 times. Once for undergrad where I was in bait and bullet. Once for grad school and once when I was at MIT Lincoln Lab. I never said I was from any city in New England. Again, words have meanings.

Lastly, I'd stick to attacking me for having vintage foreign sports cars, having lived in "big" cities in New England for a world class education and research opportunity, and being a yuppie. It is all pretty much true. Although technically, I'm too old to be a yuppie and I don't have a "well paying job" since I own the business.

Ps. It is comical how Ezzy stirred the pot (saying that I called you an idiot) and you came boiling out.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:20 am

pato y codoniz wrote:
Neil wrote:Definition - Idiot:

Now you are boring me.
First, words have meanings. Go argue with Webster, they disagree with your nonsense about synonyms for nonsense.

Second, I said I lived in New England 3 times. Once for undergrad where I was in bait and bullet. Once for grad school and once when I was at MIT Lincoln Lab. I never said I was from any city in New England. Again, words have meanings.

Lastly, I'd stick to attacking me for having vintage foreign sports cars, having lived in "big" cities in New England for a world class education and research opportunity, and being a yuppie. It is all pretty much true. Although technically, I'm too old to be a yuppie and I don't have a "well paying job" since I own the business.

Ps. It is comical how Ezzy stirred the pot (saying that I called you an idiot) and you came boiling out.
What is clearly nonsensical is getting into a circular argument about hunting with a self confessed pretty much true yuppie.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:44 am

Neil wrote: What is clearly nonsensical is getting into a circular argument about hunting with a self confessed pretty much true yuppie.
See this is working out so much better for you.

Instead of having to resort to nonsensical arguments about needing to have appreciation for vintage footwear, you can resort to calling me a yuppie. I'm sure in your world being highly educated, white collar guy, with plenty of disposable income, is the worst thing in the world next to not getting that government check on the 1st and 15th.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:00 am

When it comes to engaging in a meaningful discussion on gun dogs I prefer people that have some hands on experience. I cannot remember a single thing of importance you have contributed. So rather than waste more time, please share the post you are most proud of. Surely there is something.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:32 am

Luminary Setters wrote:Only my opinion, but I sort of think two people need to be put in time out unless some would like to make some side bets on how long it will take them to get this thread locked.
Late-night-ish, like weekends, can be a route to extended forth and back....I suspect that dawn may be a hoped for awakening prior to the mat side bell being rung.

Re dem Bean boots, a plus would be canoe travel...quiet and nice when exiting....a downside can be sole wear(I know, replacement) and slickness(I know..sole improvements).
Just a fact that any boot, et al will have downsides that time often changes thru stabs at improvements or realizations that concentrating on sales to only a portion of Maine or wherever and to whomever seldom best supports a company's bottom line....Ol' Leon was wise enough to understand bottom lines and marketing in addition to what worked for him when he went away from and toward improving the traditional boots of ...his time. :wink: :idea:
I reckon folks both balked and loved the new boots.
Such is Life....such is a message board.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:34 am

I hope bird seasons start soon. A lot goes on when the Mods are sleeping.
Op, you got left behind, enjoy your trip, just remember if you forget something you can likely buy it. Except the dogs.
Wow , argued all night. Is that a record?..................................Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:43 am

Luminary Setters wrote:Only my opinion, but I sort of think two people need to be put in time out unless some would like to make some side bets on how long it will take them to get this thread locked.
I'll take that bet!

Gave me an idea... This site should add a "bookie moderator" to take bets on these types of pissing matches.

Sorry Ezzy, you can't participate in the betting. Conflict of interests.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:16 am

Sleep is for the old.

I do want to point out I did not call him any names, it was he that said he was pretty much a yuppie.

And I do hope the OP has a great trip regardless of his footwear.

Neil

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:19 am

Neil wrote:When it comes to engaging in a meaningful discussion on gun dogs I prefer people that have some hands on experience. I cannot remember a single thing of importance you have contributed. So rather than waste more time, please share the post you are most proud of. Surely there is something.
You've been in the field trial game for decades and titled 1 dog. Yours is more of a cautionary tale than one to emulate.

Added on edit: from a pm that I received within a week of being on this site from a field trial guy on this site ----All Neil wants to do is name drop and rant about performance when he himself can't compete at that level.
Last edited by pato y codoniz on Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:31 am

Neil wrote:Sleep is for the old.

I do want to point out I did not call him any names, it was he that said he was pretty much a yuppie.

And I do hope the OP has a great trip regardless of his footwear.

Neil
I'm not sure if you're having a senior moment or if you've always been this obtuse but you're the one that offered the yuppie comparison.

I'm not calling you an idiot but you and idiots have a huge amount of traits in common.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:35 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Late-night-ish, like weekends, can be a route to extended forth and back....I suspect that dawn may be a hoped for awakening prior to the mat side bell being rung.

Re dem Bean boots, a plus would be canoe travel...quiet and nice when exiting....a downside can be sole wear(I know, replacement) and slickness(I know..sole improvements).
Just a fact that any boot, et al will have downsides that time often changes thru stabs at improvements or realizations that concentrating on sales to only a portion of Maine or wherever and to whomever seldom best supports a company's bottom line....Ol' Leon was wise enough to understand bottom lines and marketing in addition to what worked for him when he went away from and toward improving the traditional boots of ...his time. :wink: :idea:
I reckon folks both balked and loved the new boots.
Such is Life....such is a message board.
While the bean boot might have some advantages, I can't think how any of them would be applicable to upland hunting.

As I stated early in this thread, they're more of a stalking or still hunting shoe than a hunting boot.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:52 am

pato y codoniz wrote:
Neil wrote:When it comes to engaging in a meaningful discussion on gun dogs I prefer people that have some hands on experience. I cannot remember a single thing of importance you have contributed. So rather than waste more time, please share the post you are most proud of. Surely there is something.
You've been in the field trial game for decades and titled 1 dog. Yours is more of a cautionary tale than one to emulate.
I have titled 11 dogs, have over 300 wins, maybe 400 in AKC, AFTCA, American Field, and UKC. I have owned and trained well over 100 hunting dogs. I have handled, scouted, judged, and reported field trials at the highest level. I have had over 150 articles published in the major periodicals. But mostly I am a hunter.

But new people with their first dog can contribute, I asked for your proudest contribution. And while doing that, please post where I called you anything other than rude. I said I knew yuppies that fit your description.

Neil

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:53 am

Jagermeister

I have not been to Maine hunting; however, you do mention having a GPS for the dog. I would learn the unit well for wooded country. Through the years i have never had folks get terribly lost in the high desert but I have seen grouse hunters and elk hunters get lost in the timber....

Sorry about your thread, I have seen a lot of folks through the years come to an on-line forum to disrupt. I guess the call them "trolls." They are always of the same sort, determined to become famous in the dog/hunting world through the use of a keyboard. Some are over-achievers and some are under-achievers but they have the same common trait and its remarkably clear on-line... just plain old loud and boorish to hide their insecurity. Fine things are cheap when they are soiled with the words of the insatiable. However, don't despair these folks generally get bored easily and move on to the next passing fancy.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:59 am

pato y codoniz wrote: While the bean boot might have some advantages, I can't think how any of them would be applicable to upland hunting.

As I stated early in this thread, they're more of a stalking or still hunting shoe than a hunting boot.
Three posts in a row...congratulations.
My guess is that you like to poke critters with sticks....instead, consider maturity and, perhaps, a library card if you are bored.
IF, you want to lock another thread then you may have just got your wish.....a shameful reason to post.

As before, I wore the Bean boots in wet and dry Upland's from the Apps to the UGLs...they worked fine but age and reality found me requiring more than their particulars delivered.
That happens for some of us...and I still have a pair in the closet...just because and for when the decision to lace up is wise.
The Bean boot is no more a stalking boot than you are an idiot with a stick. :wink:
But, I guess one could stalk a critter while in a pair of dem boots...do the math.

Folks can try any boot and assess whether the style meets their needs or even if it simply makes them feel...right.
Most of us choose a product with many reason in mind.

To the OP, if new to the Astro...do not despair if signal loss occurs, it easily returns but do not willingly trust blindly in any electronics. They are mostly an aid and not a consequence free permission slip.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:21 am

Mountaineer,

Great post.

The last paragraph needs its own thread. I was an early adapter of the Astro and a fan. Still I use a compass and map.

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:45 am

Neil wrote:
I have titled 11 dogs
Names and years please

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:56 am

Jägermeister wrote:I'm heading to Maine in Oct. I'm just looking for tips of what to buy/bring. Iv never been grouse hunting and never been to maine. What's the weather like? Tick repellant? I have a brush vest for dog, gps collar, bell?, first aid kit and my fall/winter hunting clothes. Are my insulated hunting boots too much? Should I not shave my setter if he will be sleeping outdoors at night? Thanks.
I have not been to Maine, I can't imagine it being colder than MN, where I find insulated hunting boots to be to warm for Oct hunting. And a shaved dog should be just fine.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:13 pm

pato y codoniz wrote:
Neil wrote:
I have titled 11 dogs
Names and years please
What does this have to do with packing for a hunting trip?

pato y codoniz

Post by pato y codoniz » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:40 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
pato y codoniz wrote:
Neil wrote:
I have titled 11 dogs
Names and years please
What does this have to do with packing for a hunting trip?
Funny that you didn't have this reaction when your little buddy started going off on tangents but, then again, you fueled it.

Look, I've known about the Ezzy/Neil M.O. since day one. You'd be shocked, maybe not, how many people don't care for either of you and share it by p.m.